Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be careful when getting a tint!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had Mr. Tint in Santa Clara (408) 247-8468 do a full tint on my just delivered 2017 Tesla Model S. After a week or so the tint on the little front triangle windows started to peel off, so I called them and they said bring it it. They mentioned it was a known issue with Tesla's and they can fix it by replacing the tint. I didn't think much of it, until I started seeing them heatgun the front triangle windows. I asked the tech, if he would be replacing the tint, and he said no. He said all they need to do is heat it up some more so the adhesive would stick better. Not knowing any better, I took the car home. 3 days later, I was washing the car, and I can see they used a little too much heat, the plastic chrome finish on my mirrors were warped. Both sides were warped, one side is not as bad as the other.

- Yes, they will be replacing the warped pieces.
- Yes, they agreed to refund the cost of the original tint.

Just be careful which tint shop you use, and make sure they don't apply too much heat near the mirror.

20170917_105140_resized.jpg

20170917_110317_resized.jpg

Not sure if true, but... I heard that the Model S windows are curved in multiple directions which is evidently unique? This requires them to use more than normal amounts of heat. Evidently the hatch window is the easiest.

When I got my car tinted the shop scratched DEEP into my back glass all the way around. Like fingernail deep. That's an in-process 1,300$ repair they're having to eat.

Lesson Learned: Stick with these tint shops during the process and check your window's exterior before you leave.
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0218.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg

When I got my car tinted the shop scratched DEEP into my back glass all the way around. Like fingernail deep. That's an in-process 1,300$ repair they're having to eat.

Lesson Learned: Stick with these tint shops during the process and check your window's exterior before you leave.

Obviously used your car window as the template to cut the piece to fit inside.

The dude they hired that day and got zero training is now onto his next job... no doubt.

Or stick with shops that have tinted tons of Teslas like OC Detailing.

The shop I went to has stated that they have done over 100 teslas. I also had positive experiences there on my 3 other new cars. Nothing that would lead me to believe anything out of the ordinary would have happened.

I certainly didn't go there because they were 'cheap' They do many exotics as well.

But thanks for your super informative post.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Not sure if true, but... I heard that the Model S windows are curved in multiple directions which is evidently unique? This requires them to use more than normal amounts of heat. Evidently the hatch window is the easiest.

Nearly all glass today is complex NURB surfaces. Even the back windows on pickups. Blame the wind tunnels. Take a straight edge to any window and try to lay it flat in any axis.

Such a huge waste of time that tinting isn't offered as a factory option, especially when things go wrong like this.
Especially since almost everyone is getting it. -Here is your brand new car. Now take it to the next "factory" for tint and enjoy them sitting and working in your brand new seats :)

Similarly to 15 years ago when premium sound wasn't offered in cars and you had to spend a week getting a whole new stereo system, and sometimes get your car's electrical system messed up.

I've used Mr. Tint for several cars, and while their work is OK, I wouldn't take my Model S (or any other high end cars) there, because I'm too worried something like what OP reported would happen. There's definitely better shops, like OC Detailing, or Premier (where I had my done). It is true, Mr. Tint is popular hence I'm sure they've done many exotics, but go somewhere like Premier and the cars you'll see are on a whole 'nother level :)