Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be honest: is SCing on a long trip annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fly when there is a large body of water between myself and my destination. (If I'm not the pilot, I don't care much for the current sardine experience.)

I much prefer to drive myself. Even if it is a long time the amount of time to get to the airport, security, etc... ends up being a lot. But I doubt anyone would drive on a business trip from SF to LV without taking vacation time!

For a shorter trip 4-5 hours, no worries and SCs work great. For long trips (20+ hours) it gets really tiresome. I drove from MA to FL and back and 12 SC's down and 12 SC's back get old and the ones down south are not at good food places. Longer time between the stops or shorter charge times would help a lot, but it was free and I got there and back so i'm thankful for that!

Reactions: jvonbokel
I'll have to echo this sentiment. Passengers who are aggressive or backseat drivers themselves and want to get somewhere ASAP, the 250-300 mile trips can be annoying only because of the possibility of that passenger pushing you to leave without as full of a charge as you might like. It's actually funny to think they know better than an actual owner. So I'd have to say: MS owners, be wary of who you take on a road trip! :D

I took a trip from Garden Grove to San Diego (~100 miles) yesterday in my 70D. Fully charged before I left registered 236 rated miles on the dashboard, and by the time we were ready to leave San Diego, I arrived at the SD Supercharger with about 30 miles remaining. 15 minutes later it had charged up to about 120 miles, and one of my passengers insisted I'd have enough to get home.

Instead of trying to explain that 120 miles on the dash is probably more like 100 or 110 depending on how I drive (he's an aggressive driver and kept urging me to basically "floor it" every chance I got), and considering no one knew how far it actually was back home (we had decided to take side streets to avoid the freeway traffic), I just said for peace of mind, let's stay here for another 5-10 mins.

We charged to 150 miles at the Supercharger, and by the time I dropped everyone off and arrived back at my house, I had close to 30 miles remaining. Meaning, if I had listened to him and left the Supercharger at 120 miles on the battery, I may not have made it home.
You might want to disown yourself from those passengers. Your car, your rules!

Well I am planning my first long distance trip next Wednesday, from Orlando to Buffalo. Really looking forward to it, driving up solo and driving back +1. Planning on doing as much as I can in one shot, going to use the supercharger time as a chance to eat and refresh, and at night have a air mattress in the back for a quick nap. Should I drift off for a bit the car will just get a bit extra juice for the next stop! Really excited about using the supercharger network myself.

I am the kind of person that has done this drive straight before, 19-20 hours, with as little stopping as possible. With charging its looking like 25 hours. Expect I will arrive in a much better state than normal with the stops in between.

Cebe said:
.....the most annoying trips are going to be the 250 mile and 850 mile ones.
250 miles.......that's L.A. Metro to Vegas, aggravated in the Tesla by the two hills, meaning 2 stops if you're trying to drive fast.

The 300-400 mile trips from SoCal like Mammoth, Bay Area: many ICE cars would need a gas stop, and most people would want one meal stop. Not a big difference, usually worth doing in the Tesla.

Anything longer than that in one day, now you're stopping every 120-150 miles and the time difference grows vs. an ICE car, especially in wide open western spaces where you can drive 80+mph. Every year we drive to my Snowbird time share. Home to Salt Lake 720 miles is generally 9.5 hours drive time + an hour for one food stop and one gas stop. I calculate 3.5 hours for supercharge stops, that makes the 10.5 hour trip a 13 hour trip. I'll continue to use my Porsche Cayenne for that.

If a longer trip like that includes some interim stops I wanted to do anyway, I'd consider using the Tesla, especially if the overnight is close to a charger to start the next day with a full charge like leaving from home.

If a longer trip like that includes some interim stops I wanted to do anyway, I'd consider using the Tesla, especially if the overnight is close to a charger to start the next day with a full charge like leaving from home.
This is definitely the benefit of the destination charging program. I always schedule my plans around hotels with chargers if possible.

ohmman said:
This is definitely the benefit of the destination charging program. I always schedule my plans around hotels with chargers if possible.
I thought about that for the recent trip to the All-Star game in San Diego. Unfortunately the hotels with chargers seem to be the $400/night places. We saw 2 of them at the Del Coronado where we went to the beach before the game. This is also true at Mammoth, where we try to sleep cheap. The permitting of the Mammoth supercharger last October was what put us over the top to place our order.

Unfortunately the hotels with chargers seem to be the $400/night places.
This is not always the case. On our recent road trip, we stayed at a Hilton, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Four Seasons, and Westin (Mammoth) which all had chargers. The first three were certainly on the less expensive side, and the latter two more expensive.

The Best Western brand has done a good job of installing destination chargers in many of their hotels, and they generally nicely balance budget and quality. I do think that in bigger cities/towns, it's generally the more expensive hotels who have led the charge (!) on chargers.

Unfortunately the hotels with chargers seem to be the $400/night places.

Once when we spent a weekend in a Supercharger-free zone (Berkshires, MA) and the destination chargers seemed to be at the boutique hotels, we went to one of those upscale Inns with a destination charger and a nice restaurant on site. We charged while enjoying a leisurely lunch. It got us enough of a boost to not have to worry about charging again before we got to the supercharger on our way home and the meal was much cheaper than an overnight stay at the Inn in question.

By this fall, as it happens, that location won't be a supercharger-free zone anymore. That keeps happening: the difference between a Boston to DC trip in 2013 and today is pretty remarkable.

I took a trip from Garden Grove to San Diego (~100 miles) yesterday in my 70D. Fully charged before I left registered 236 rated miles on the dashboard, and by the time we were ready to leave San Diego, I arrived at the SD Supercharger with about 30 miles remaining. 15 minutes later it had charged up to about 120 miles, and one of my passengers insisted I'd have enough to get home.

Instead of trying to explain that 120 miles on the dash is probably more like 100 or 110 depending on how I drive (he's an aggressive driver and kept urging me to basically "floor it" every chance I got), and considering no one knew how far it actually was back home (we had decided to take side streets to avoid the freeway traffic), I just said for peace of mind, let's stay here for another 5-10 mins.

Another great reason to set the tank to read % rather than miles. "We'll need about 70% to make this leg." A little harder to argue with that!

Bamboozle them with numbers/arithmetic/statistics! :)

How do you come up with the percent range yourself though?
I find it easier to think in terms of a 1.x multiplier for the rated miles range vs the distance that needs to be covered.

In unknown territory I rarely leave an SC with less than 20% over. Since the eternally optimistic "good to go" message appears at between 7-13% over rated, it's easy to get to 20%, and often 30% over - especially with headwinds or elevation.

It is far more efficient to charge an extra 15 minutes than to waste a perfectly good 80mph speed limit by having to drive 45mph just to limp into the next SC due to bad programming.

Bamboozle them with numbers/arithmetic/statistics! :)

How do you come up with the percent range yourself though?
I find it easier to think in terms of a 1.x multiplier for the rated miles range vs the distance that needs to be covered.

With experience driving. It doesn't take long. You quickly figure out if you can get home on a half tank. Frankly, I find it much more useful than the mileage guesstimate. If I need more precision (like I am running on static and wonder if I can make it home) I use the energy graph app on the big screen, at least that uses real data and provides a reasonably accurate projection. For the fuel gauge, I prefer % of capacity. It just makes logical sense to me.

Reactions: jvonbokel
TaoJones said:
It is far more efficient to charge an extra 15 minutes than to waste a perfectly good 80mph speed limit by having to drive 45mph just to limp into the next SC due to bad programming.
+1 The rate of charging at a supercharger exceeds 80mph until you get up to ~90%SOC.

I generally use the spreadsheet downloaded from this forum to calculate required charge at a supercharger. Overall my multiplier is in the 1.4 range. But using the energy graph app on the big screen is the way to go to monitor progress and get lots of advance notice if your estimate was accurate or not.

We wanted to be within walking distance of Petco Park or the trolley line in San Diego so no surprise the hotels with chargers were premium priced. And I know about the Westin in Mammoth. I'm sure there are exceptions to my high price hotel generalization, but since I live in SoCal, supercharger coverage is very good within the range I'm likely to travel so I haven't paid much attention to the destination chargers yet. I'm a recent owner and I know the destination chargers were more important to the early adopters. I also realize Tesla is a still an early adopter product with thin supercharger coverage in some areas.

image.jpeg
The Mojave SC is the worst.

Anything longer than that in one day, now you're stopping every 120-150 miles and the time difference grows vs. an ICE car,
Unless your family members are far different than mine, you're stopping that often in an ICE. The majority of my long distance trips are about 700 miles one way. I don't notice any difference in the times between the Model S and the previous ICE cars.