Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be wary of new HPWC installs...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
So... I stopped by the new Microtel in Monahans, TX. They installed a pair of 80A destination chargers. Since I'm a Wyndham member they were kind enough to let me charge without getting a room. AWESOME I plug in but the car won't pull >12A.... I'm probably the 1st or 2nd person to ever use these... I had to remove zip ties from the cables. The breakers are on the back of the pedestal and they're clearly 100A. They were obviously installed but never configured.

I go get a T20 bit from a local hardware store and try to fix them (with permission) but the screws are 'vandal proof'. You need a hollow T20. I give up and go to a nearby RV park that lets me charge for free since the owner also has a Tesla.

..... long story short.... auto parts stores DO carry the vandal proof T20 and both HPWC are now properly configured to deliver 80A. This will probably happen again.... Tesla needs to put a big red sticker on the HPWC especially the ones for the destination charger program to ensure they are configured correctly. And now you know how to fix this too. Go find an o Reilly get the Torx.... then return it ;)

I installed 2 new HPWC, replacing the older ones, at my house. I had to delay the install because I didn't have the secure T20 bit. After getting one from Home Depot a few days later, I proceeded with the install, only to discover that the new HPWCs come with a hardware bag which includes the T20 bit. Maybe I should carry one in each car in case I run into the same situation as you.

what a shame, the installer apparently was either lazy or incompetent. fortunately I'd bet that this is an isolated incident.
I notice that a lot at home. Asking a electrician to install a Charging Station is usually something they have never done. They know how to handle breakers, but have no idea how to set a Pilot signal and such.

They need to install it for the insurance since they are qualified, but I always assist in configuring the charging station afterwards.

I notice that a lot at home. Asking a electrician to install a Charging Station is usually something they have never done. They know how to handle breakers, but have no idea how to set a Pilot signal and such.

They need to install it for the insurance since they are qualified, but I always assist in configuring the charging station afterwards.

It's scary to me that electricians are installing these without reading the instructions. Makes me wonder what else they did wrong.

It's scary to me that electricians are installing these without reading the instructions. Makes me wonder what else they did wrong.
They know that they need to install breakers, use the right cabling and such. But then configuring the device is a new thing.

The lights turn on, the proper electrical protection is there, but the configuration lacks. The installation is however safe.

There is always a single page in the manual to tell electricians what IP rating it has, how high it needs to be from the ground, max current, etc, etc.

They know that they need to install breakers, use the right cabling and such. But then configuring the device is a new thing.

The lights turn on, the proper electrical protection is there, but the configuration lacks. The installation is however safe.

There is always a single page in the manual to tell electricians what IP rating it has, how high it needs to be from the ground, max current, etc, etc.

The installation is not safe if the amperage is not set at the correct value. We have received several dozen of these units, and they were all pre-set to 80 A. If the unit were installed on a less than 100 amp breaker and/or used with wiring that's not capable of handling 80 A continuously, there could have been popped up breakers, overheated wires, or a fire.

They got lucky by having the reverse situation... fully capable wiring but set to a lower value.

I don't recommend arbitrarily motoring around the world with a T20 security TORX driver, arbitrarily setting units to 80 A. There might be a reason why it set at the lower value. At a minimum, get permission from the authorized agent in control of that unit (hotel manager, etc) before doing anything.

"D" is the setting for 80 amps, and "F" is a slave. Yes, you could really screw it up if you didn't know that two units were slaved on the same circuit. This might result in fire, injury or death.