TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Beacon Power goes bankrupt

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by zack, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Very unfortunate. I'm very familiar with this company, and they have a good product -- one that actually works and is gaining traction in the market. Their problem is/was that the service they provide -- extremely fast reserve power -- isn't particularly valued for most applications. Their flywheels don't store much energy (only 15 minutes at full discharge), but they can release that energy to balance the grid astoundingly quickly . The perfect storage device would store a LOT more power (at least 4 hours).

Hopefully, Beacon Power's technology will get picked up by some deeper-pocket firm, like GE or Siemens, that can really get this technology in play.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I suspect this won't be the last article to dwell heavily on the fact that these guys also got a loan like Solyndra, and like Solyndra, are going down.

4. zack

zack Member

Look at their stock performance. I was always confused by this company's lack of growth.

5. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

They even managed to secure a patent for a microgrid stabilized by a storage device, which was quite an accomplishment. I think that V2G companies would have run the flywheels out of business anyhow because it's much easier to get the same frequency regulation and reserves from batteries that are used primarily for other purposes.