Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beater Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Does anyone have a car second to your Tesla? Am thinking of getting a second car for situations I don't want to take my X (even though it is safest car to do so). Ex. during snowstorms people forget how it drive here. Every snow storm resulted in hundreds of car accidents- there were several of these events. Other situations: parking in cheaper areas, driving through downtown, etc. Places you don't feel comfortable taking your X and would rather have another car take the fall.

Hello,

Does anyone have a car second to your Tesla? Am thinking of getting a second car for situations I don't want to take my X (even though it is safest car to do so). Ex. during snowstorms people forget how it drive here. Every snow storm resulted in hundreds of car accidents- there were several of these events. Other situations: parking in cheaper areas, driving through downtown, etc. Places you don't feel comfortable taking your X and would rather have another car take the fall.
So, you want the automotive equivalent of a pair of rock skis? Maybe a used all-wheel drive Subaru?

Maybe for things like hauling, but for that we picked up a decent trailer...

IMHO, get better insurance, and use the Tesla, having had friends get into several accidents lately, my preference is to drive the safest vehicle at all times.

If my wife does not have anywhere to go with the kids, I drive the model X, if she does have somewhere to go, I drive the Leaf, and the kids go in the Tesla.

-Harry

Hello,

I am very happy with the Nissan Leaf I bought last year. It was used, 2013 with very low miles. $7200. I actually find I use it 90% of the time. It's very comfortable, great A/C, and easy to park.

I've given it some thought from time to time, mostly for neighborhoods where I feel like the X draws more attention than I'm entirely comfortable with and places where I know the parking is going to be ugly. So far I haven't done it; it seems like a lot of money and hassle - and I know I'll hate driving the other car instead.

My Model X IS my beater car :D

IMG_0210.JPG

Since you said car, my beater is a VW Rabbit. Bone stock 2 door with the inline 5 and 5 speed manual, not a single option. It's small, fun to drive and I don't care what happens to it (as long as I'm not at fault). It's nice to get back to automotive basics every so often and a small hatchback with a manual can't be beat...and when it comes to going to Costco or airports, etc., it's a lot easier to walk away when you know that you're not going to be out much, financially or emotionally, even if the worst happens.