Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beautiful 6 Powerwall Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Powerwalls installed. Even though there is exposed conduit, I believe it looks pretty clean. First photo shows my 2 Powerwalls, second photos show them with one of my Wall Connectors and third show both Wall Connectors, Powerwalls, Model S and Model 3 Performance. I have a third Powerwall coming and will be installed the the right of the others.
20190301_193847.jpg
20190301_192704.jpg
20190301_221103.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my Powerwalls installed. Even though there is exposed conduit, I believe it looks pretty clean. First photo shows my 2 Powerwalls, second photos show them with one of my Wall Connectors and third show both Wall Connectors, Powerwalls, Model S and Model 3 Performance. I have a third Powerwall coming and will be installed the the right of the others. View attachment 382484 View attachment 382485 View attachment 382487

Awesome! How was the install process? Was installation covered?
Would love to see more of your setup? Subpanel? Gateway? etc...

I had my two referral Powerwalls installed about 6 months ago. I'm currently running them as a load shift setup without solar, though i'm considering adding it. This allows me to run my house 24/7 at off peak rates. With PG&E EV-A rate in CA it comes out to $0.132/kwh after losses of sending the power to the Powerwall and then back to house during my Part Peak and Peak usage. All EV charging is done during Off Peak times for just slightly less, $0.13/kwh. This makes the case for spending 8-10k on a solar system less beneficial.

Here's a time lapse I made of the installation.

Reactions: tjka4231
I don't think it's code but weight. They weigh almost 285 pounds so they use a custom dolly to lift them up to the mounting bracket on the wall. They could lift them manually but it takes two or three people instead of one.

As @Vines mentioned, I do believe there is a rule about the height of the switch on the side.

Site survey completed yesterday, and my installer said no go for PW installed above another - too heavy and too high.

Here's my proposed layout:
20190307_153442.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it and Rarity
Just wanted to share a finished installation to show off how good Powerwall can look. Granted there was significant work involved with making this installation so clean but in my mind, well worth it.

@Vines could you clarify one thing for me? In the install manual it describes how to send conduit out the back of one powerwall into a wall behind it, in order to get hidden-conduit install. But for the unit stacked in front, there is no info on how this is done. How is your front powerwall connected to the rear powerwall with hidden conduit? Do you need to drill a hole in the front of the rear powerwall of each pair?

@Vines could you clarify one thing for me? In the install manual it describes how to send conduit out the back of one powerwall into a wall behind it, in order to get hidden-conduit install. But for the unit stacked in front, there is no info on how this is done. How is your front powerwall connected to the rear powerwall with hidden conduit? Do you need to drill a hole in the front of the rear powerwall of each pair?

Source: Video posted above by @Kbra:

upload_2019-3-14_11-5-11.png
upload_2019-3-14_11-5-34.png

Awesome! How was the install process? Was installation covered?
Would love to see more of your setup? Subpanel? Gateway? etc...
Sorry I never saw your question. The installation was covered by Tesla through the referral program including a new breaker panel to backup the whole house The install process went smoothly except I had to make arrangements to have the batteries charged while waiting for utility inspection. Since the post I added a 3rd Powerwall (see photo with the 3 Powerwalls over my Model S. Also see photo of my setup. The boxes from left to right are 1. breaker box for Powerwalls, 2. Utility meter to measure Powerwall charging/discharging, 3. Shut off for Powerwalls, 4. Backup Gateway, 5. Sprinkler Box, 6. Utility Service Entrance with main meter, 7. Breaker Panel for whole house, 8. Main Power Disconnect.
20190919_223149.jpg

20190227_151856.jpg

Reactions: pilotSteve
These are great pictures of a cleaning looking install. I tried googling for other examples looking for inspiration on how to design the layout. I wanted clean minimum installs inside with as much not-so-pretty wiring outside. Just like the photos above.

Especially with the new GW2.

These are great pictures of a cleaning looking install. I tried googling for other examples looking for inspiration on how to design the layout. I wanted clean minimum installs inside with as much not-so-pretty wiring outside. Just like the photos above.

Especially with the new GW2.

Make sure you let that be known before they show up to install.

The boxes from left to right are 6. Utility Service Entrance with main meter, 7. Breaker Panel for whole house, 8. Main Power Disconnect.

Can you share photos of what the insides of these look like? I’m also interested in how the meter connects to the main power disconnect. Is the main power disconnect fed directly from the meter lugs?

I have a 200A service entrance with integrated load center and am trying to understand if the main power disconnect can be added Separate from (and external to) the box with the meter...

Can you share photos of what the insides of these look like? I’m also interested in how the meter connects to the main power disconnect. Is the main power disconnect fed directly from the meter lugs?

I have a 200A service entrance with integrated load center and am trying to understand if the main power disconnect can be added Separate from (and external to) the box with the meter...

It all depends on the insides of your meter/main combo panel. Most installations in your area do not require a PGE disconnect, so that's one less box on the wall.

Post pictures of the inside of your Main service panel, and the sticker on the inside of the lid. Are you looking for whole or partial home backup?

It all depends on the insides of your meter/main combo panel. Most installations in your area do not require a PGE disconnect, so that's one less box on the wall.

PG&D Disconnect for what? The PowerWall? I had to have them installed for my SMA inverters. The first one was separate (in 2003) and in 2011 it was now "integrated" into the inverter. I'm glad I didn't install in between as I heard that for a while it was required to be accessible at the front of the house outside of gated area (which would've been a long run there and back).

Post pictures of the inside of your Main service panel, and the sticker on the inside of the lid. Are you looking for whole or partial home backup?

I'll attach thumbnails of my upgraded 200A panel... It's a Square D "all in one service entrance device", model number SC2040M200C, just like this thread but that was upstream of load centers in the house:
Tesla surprises with a $4800 bill on existing $5300 install contract

Edit: I see that there is a ton of good info on the above thread from @Vines so I'm curious to hear your suggestions for my setup, especially if there's any way to keep the integrated (center-fed) load center of this panel... Or maybe we end up having to extend critical loads to a downstream critical load panel.

My main panel is in stucco, at the back corner of the house with no seemingly easy options for relocating circuits or anything else concerning the panel (or I would have considered doing this when I had the 200A panel installed when I added my second solar array). One thing I did add at the time was per-circuit monitoring (24 split-coil CTs and an eMonitor system by Powerhouse Dynamics) so I have nine years of per-minute, per-circuit consumption data that I can export to CSV and pivot to my heart's content, and understand what power we consume, for what, and when.

I was hoping to install two PowerWalls for whole house backup, but I'm just not seeing how they're going to integrate it into my panel. Still, I'd like to be as prepared as possible when Semper comes out for my site assessment on Thursday.

I'd love to hear that I could add a 200A master breaker in the lower left corner but if that were possible then I'm sure the box would've come that way instead of having four 100A breakers in the center of the right half. Perhaps they can take advantage of the fact that the meter lugs are connected to those four main breakers by four wires that could presumably be somehow re-routed out to the gateway (if that's allowed) and back into the main panel to feed the four 100A breakers that make up the 200A panel.

Even if I make it past all of that, then I'm guessing the 100A breakers will likely have to be replaced with something smaller like 70A to accommodate the 120% rule and the fact that I have 15A and 20A solar breakers, plus the two new 30A breakers for the PowerWalls.

IMG_0070.jpeg IMG_0071.jpeg IMG_0152.jpeg

Last edited:
@lemketron now that I look closely at how the meter is connected to the center quad breaker, I think it may be possible to redirect the whole meter feed to the Tesla Gateway. The Gateway 2 can also have an internal sub-panel where your solar could be rerouted to. The existing panel could become a sub-panel on the backup side of the Gateway. However, I have no idea if they will actually do it this way or if there is some reason it can't be done this way. For example, I don't know if it's permissible to have a line leave the meter panel without circuit protection, even if that protection is provided as soon as it enters another box, like the Gateway.