Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Becoming a Destination charger location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am involved with a B&B Inn. I've tried multiple times to reachout to Tesla to become part of their destination charger network, only to hear crickets... Has anyone had success in enrolling their business in the destination charger program? If so, how did you accomplish this?

I'm pretty sure that Tesla quietly ended the Destination Charging program a couple of years ago. The only exceptions being that they'll still occasionally do it for large partners, e.g. partnering with a city and doing 30+ stations split between 3-4 locations in city owned public garages.

Sadly the Destination Charger program is really a misnomer, I booked a hotel displayed on the Tesla Destination tab only to find a Mustang Mach E plugged in with an adapter you can buy. Fortunately I don’t like running my Y below 20% and had sufficient charge to get to the next SuperCharger the next morning. So I no longer count on them, if it’s available cool, but I make sure I charge up before I arrive.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and X-pilot
Sadly the Destination Charger program is really a misnomer
Why do you say "misnomer"? It definitely is a Charger at a destination. We're just at the transition between "not enough coverage" to "not enough capacity". Clearly, the hotels will have to start making charger reservations guaranteeing a charging space just as they reserve a bedroom for you and they're going to have to begin the transition to the inevitable end-game of a charger at every parking space. Those who don't will find themselves in the same place that motels without air condition found themselves in the 1960s.
Welcome to the early years.

Sadly the Destination Charger program is really a misnomer, I booked a hotel displayed on the Tesla Destination tab only to find a Mustang Mach E plugged in with an adapter you can buy. Fortunately I don’t like running my Y below 20% and had sufficient charge to get to the next SuperCharger the next morning. So I no longer count on them, if it’s available cool, but I make sure I charge up before I arrive.
I recently heard and looked up the adapter that can be purchased, such bs. I really hope / wish Tesla can do something to prevent this from occurring.

If I were in your situation at that hotel, I would've been pissed.

I recently heard and looked up the adapter that can be purchased, such bs. I really hope / wish Tesla can do something to prevent this from occurring.

There's no sense getting upset. From anyone's perspective except, perhaps a Tesla owner, this is perfectly reasonable.
The hotel paid to install the charger to attract customers. They don't care if the customer drives a Tesla, a MachE, a Volt, etc.
We need to make them aware that if we customers can't get a place to charge, there's no reason we'd go to their hotel. Therefore, if they want to reap the benefits for putting in a charger, they'll need to put in enough chargers to meet the need or at least guarantee us a place to charge if we reserve a room from them.
Please don't make it a Tesla -vs- others thing. The only thing being "pissed" will accomplish is to suggest that many Prius or BMW pricks have moved to Teslas.

With 2nd and 3rd generation wall connectors, there's a way they can restrict charging to only Teslas. Most destination charging hosts probably won't know about this option or go through the hassle of changing the configuration.

Last edited:
With 2nd and 3rd generation wall connectors, there's a way they can restrict charging to only Teslas. Most destination charging hosts probably won't know about this option or go through the hassle of changing the configuration.
I, personally hope this does not happen. If it does, destinations are just as likely to swap out Tesla Destination chargers for generic J-1772. At least with Tesla Wall Chargers, only the hard core EV drivers who go out of their way to buy adapters will be competing with Teslas. We won't be competing with 20-mile EV range Ford energi's , Chrysler minivans, BMWs, or Jeep 4Xes.
I don't feel entitled to the Tesla Destination Chargers but don't mind a bit of bias favoring those of us who showed the way to the rest.

Why do you say "misnomer"? It definitely is a Charger at a destination. We're just at the transition between "not enough coverage" to "not enough capacity". Clearly, the hotels will have to start making charger reservations guaranteeing a charging space just as they reserve a bedroom for you and they're going to have to begin the transition to the inevitable end-game of a charger at every parking space. Those who don't will find themselves in the same place that motels without air condition found themselves in the 1960s.
Welcome to the early years.

My bad, I should have included the word TESLA. They are advertised as Tesla Destination Chargers not an open to everyone charger.

My bad, I should have included the word TESLA. They are advertised as Tesla Destination Chargers not an open to everyone charger.
Then you should first understand what the Tesla Destination Charger program actually was. It was Tesla giving away EVSE to locations for them to use however they want. This includes use by anyone the owning facility decides it's open to. Questions like: Is it only available for customers/guests? Can non-Teslas use them to charge? Is there a charge/fee to use them? What hours are they available and how long can a charging session last? Etc, are all decided by the owning facility.

By the way, in many cases as part of the "TESLA Destination Charger" program, Tesla also gave locations Wall Connectors with J1772 plugs. The idea that these stations were only ever supposed to be used for charging Teslas is clearly nonsense. Of course, if a location decided that they are only for Tesla use, that's certainly their prerogative.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Earl
They are advertised as Tesla Destination Chargers not an open to everyone charger.
Does "Tesla" refer to who gets to use them or the technology standard to which they are designed?
They actually belong to the property owner. I'd say they would get to decide who can and can't use them.
See my previous post:
The hotel paid to install the charger to attract customers. They don't care if the customer drives a Tesla, a MachE, a Volt, etc.
We need to make them aware that if we customers can't get a place to charge, there's no reason we'd go to their hotel. Therefore, if they want to reap the benefits for putting in a charger, they'll need to put in enough chargers to meet the need or at least guarantee us a place to charge if we reserve a room from them.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

I do not believe it is possible with the gen2 WC to lock anyone out. Mine has the dip switches set to regular (not legacy) and I can still charge my leaf with an adapter. (Thankfully)

I do not believe it is possible with the gen2 WC to lock anyone out. Mine has the dip switches set to regular (not legacy) and I can still charge my leaf with an adapter. (Thankfully)
For those who aren't familiar, the undocumented DIP switch allowed gen 2 wall connectors to toggle between Normal and Legacy mode. Normal mode can prevent some non-Tesla EVs from charging. I found several threads that indicated many other EVs couldn't charge but luckily your Leaf could. In Legacy mode, the roadster and non-Tesla EVs could charge without issues. Gen 3 has a more obvious "Tesla only" charging option.

Last edited:
I am involved with a B&B Inn. I've tried multiple times to reachout to Tesla to become part of their destination charger network, only to hear crickets... Has anyone had success in enrolling their business in the destination charger program? If so, how did you accomplish this?
Sorry to revive an old thread, but hoping for new feedback on this - Has anyone with a small install been recently accepted in to the program? I will likely go ahead with purchasing and installing before the end of the year if I don't hear back. Then I guess sign up for the commercial charging host program if that's still a thing.

Based on posts in this thread, the program may only be for larger locations - I just filled out the form Sunday for our Airbnb, which will have two charging stations. I have not heard yet, but still less than 2 days. I gather that Tesla's communication MO is to not respond if they dont want to :)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but hoping for new feedback on this - Has anyone with a small install been recently accepted in to the program? I will likely go ahead with purchasing and installing before the end of the year if I don't hear back. Then I guess sign up for the commercial charging host program if that's still a thing.

Based on posts in this thread, the program may only be for larger locations - I just filled out the form Sunday for our Airbnb, which will have two charging stations. I have not heard yet, but still less than 2 days. I gather that Tesla's communication MO is to not respond if they dont want to :)
Tesla is slow with everything except big-picture progress. Personally, I recommend just putting in a NEMA 14-50 on rental properties and let the customers bring their own charging station. There's a tax break for the effort as well. You can easily put a padlock on the box and only give the combo to renters.
Commercial charging hosts end up being very expensive overall because of the need to pay for a middleman who takes most of the proceeds for billing. It costs about as much for billing of electricity as it does for the electricity itself.

Sorry to revive this thread yet again, but thought I'd give an update.

After 18 months, I FINALLY received a response from Tesla. With only 1 guest property, we don't have the need for six chargers, so it's not feasible. Might be for larger short term rental properties.

In the last 18 months, we've only had 4 or 5 guests use our charger. Some of them found us on Plugshare and others used the AirBNB search. We are the only lodging in town to have Level 2 charging, so I thought we might have more. But there is a supercharger in town too...

RE: Tesla Charging Inquiry | Pecan Carriage House (515 e 10th st)

Hi Dana,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla! I am following up on your inquiry to purchase Tesla Wall Connectors for your Pecan Carriage House property.

Tesla NACS Wall Connectors are $425 + tax and Tesla J1772 Wall Connectors are $550 + tax. These are the industry leading Level 2 EV chargers.

Program Benefits
  • Add an amenity for your guests or residents
  • Drive new customer traffic to your location if you choose to be added on Tesla’s find us page and in-vehicle navigation
  • New revenue stream made possible by paid charging sessions for Tesla and non-Tesla drivers
    • You set the price of charging, Tesla collects driver payment and remits 100% of revenue back to you quarterly
    • Tesla’s sole fee is one penny per session invoiced annually, based on length of use
  • Access to a Tesla for Business account with session data, monthly usage statements and pricing controls at your fingertips
  • White-glove service includes hardware expertise, order processing, preferred installer pricing, and opening support for your property
Requirements:
  • · Minimum of six Wall Connectors
  • · Approved budget (Note the average cost to install 6-12 chargers is $25,000-$50,000 and will vary depending on available power and proximity to parking spaces where units are installed)
Next Steps
  • Confirm the number of chargers you will buy (Six minimum per site, the average installation size across North America is 12 units)
  • Begin your order and onboarding with Tesla for Business by using this form
  • Review and sign your agreement with Tesla for your new chargers
  • Prepare your team for installation
  • For any questions or to obtain a complimentary installation quote, reply directly to this email and a Tesla Representative will be in touch

Looking forward to welcoming you to our Tesla charging network soon!

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 110
Tesla is slow with everything except big-picture progress. Personally, I recommend just putting in a NEMA 14-50 on rental properties and let the customers bring their own charging station. There's a tax break for the effort as well. You can easily put a padlock on the box and only give the combo to renters.
Commercial charging hosts end up being very expensive overall because of the need to pay for a middleman who takes most of the proceeds for billing. It costs about as much for billing of electricity as it does for the electricity itself.

The interesting point about Tesla's commercial offering is that it's currently 1 cent/kWh admin. (Mentioned on this thread Hosting Tesla (Super)Charger, the offer and expense.) But they're currently for installations of 6+ chargers only. I think their eyes are on large installations, especially for MDUs like apartment buildings and condos. I hope that as this grows, they'll support smaller installations.

Tesla Charging not only sees the gaping hole that needs filling, but sees that it needs more than just chargers, it's needs simple charging with low cost billing. Plug and Charge shouldn't just be for DCFC.

This makes me _very_ excited about what could happen to Level 2 charging after widespread adoption of NACS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle and brkaus