Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Becoming a Destination charger location?

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I'm pretty sure that Tesla quietly ended the Destination Charging program a couple of years ago. The only exceptions being that they'll still occasionally do it for large partners, e.g. partnering with a city and doing 30+ stations split between 3-4 locations in city owned public garages.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
Sadly the Destination Charger program is really a misnomer, I booked a hotel displayed on the Tesla Destination tab only to find a Mustang Mach E plugged in with an adapter you can buy. Fortunately I don’t like running my Y below 20% and had sufficient charge to get to the next SuperCharger the next morning. So I no longer count on them, if it’s available cool, but I make sure I charge up before I arrive.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and X-pilot

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
Sadly the Destination Charger program is really a misnomer
Why do you say "misnomer"? It definitely is a Charger at a destination. We're just at the transition between "not enough coverage" to "not enough capacity". Clearly, the hotels will have to start making charger reservations guaranteeing a charging space just as they reserve a bedroom for you and they're going to have to begin the transition to the inevitable end-game of a charger at every parking space. Those who don't will find themselves in the same place that motels without air condition found themselves in the 1960s.
Welcome to the early years.

Koolio46

Aug 26, 2020
Boston, MA
Sadly the Destination Charger program is really a misnomer, I booked a hotel displayed on the Tesla Destination tab only to find a Mustang Mach E plugged in with an adapter you can buy. Fortunately I don’t like running my Y below 20% and had sufficient charge to get to the next SuperCharger the next morning. So I no longer count on them, if it’s available cool, but I make sure I charge up before I arrive.
I recently heard and looked up the adapter that can be purchased, such bs. I really hope / wish Tesla can do something to prevent this from occurring.

If I were in your situation at that hotel, I would've been pissed.

• Disagree
Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
I recently heard and looked up the adapter that can be purchased, such bs. I really hope / wish Tesla can do something to prevent this from occurring.

There's no sense getting upset. From anyone's perspective except, perhaps a Tesla owner, this is perfectly reasonable.
The hotel paid to install the charger to attract customers. They don't care if the customer drives a Tesla, a MachE, a Volt, etc.
We need to make them aware that if we customers can't get a place to charge, there's no reason we'd go to their hotel. Therefore, if they want to reap the benefits for putting in a charger, they'll need to put in enough chargers to meet the need or at least guarantee us a place to charge if we reserve a room from them.
Please don't make it a Tesla -vs- others thing. The only thing being "pissed" will accomplish is to suggest that many Prius or BMW pricks have moved to Teslas.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado

With 2nd and 3rd generation wall connectors, there's a way they can restrict charging to only Teslas. Most destination charging hosts probably won't know about this option or go through the hassle of changing the configuration.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
With 2nd and 3rd generation wall connectors, there's a way they can restrict charging to only Teslas. Most destination charging hosts probably won't know about this option or go through the hassle of changing the configuration.
I, personally hope this does not happen. If it does, destinations are just as likely to swap out Tesla Destination chargers for generic J-1772. At least with Tesla Wall Chargers, only the hard core EV drivers who go out of their way to buy adapters will be competing with Teslas. We won't be competing with 20-mile EV range Ford energi's , Chrysler minivans, BMWs, or Jeep 4Xes.
I don't feel entitled to the Tesla Destination Chargers but don't mind a bit of bias favoring those of us who showed the way to the rest.

How would this be different than if a Tesla was plugged in blocking you from the space?

TomServo

Apr 10, 2014
Belleville IL
Why do you say "misnomer"? It definitely is a Charger at a destination. We're just at the transition between "not enough coverage" to "not enough capacity". Clearly, the hotels will have to start making charger reservations guaranteeing a charging space just as they reserve a bedroom for you and they're going to have to begin the transition to the inevitable end-game of a charger at every parking space. Those who don't will find themselves in the same place that motels without air condition found themselves in the 1960s.
Welcome to the early years.

My bad, I should have included the word TESLA. They are advertised as Tesla Destination Chargers not an open to everyone charger.

• Disagree

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
My bad, I should have included the word TESLA. They are advertised as Tesla Destination Chargers not an open to everyone charger.
Then you should first understand what the Tesla Destination Charger program actually was. It was Tesla giving away EVSE to locations for them to use however they want. This includes use by anyone the owning facility decides it's open to. Questions like: Is it only available for customers/guests? Can non-Teslas use them to charge? Is there a charge/fee to use them? What hours are they available and how long can a charging session last? Etc, are all decided by the owning facility.

By the way, in many cases as part of the "TESLA Destination Charger" program, Tesla also gave locations Wall Connectors with J1772 plugs. The idea that these stations were only ever supposed to be used for charging Teslas is clearly nonsense. Of course, if a location decided that they are only for Tesla use, that's certainly their prerogative.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Earl

Earl

Jan 22, 2014
USA
They are advertised as Tesla Destination Chargers not an open to everyone charger.
Does "Tesla" refer to who gets to use them or the technology standard to which they are designed?
They actually belong to the property owner. I'd say they would get to decide who can and can't use them.
See my previous post:
The hotel paid to install the charger to attract customers. They don't care if the customer drives a Tesla, a MachE, a Volt, etc.
We need to make them aware that if we customers can't get a place to charge, there's no reason we'd go to their hotel. Therefore, if they want to reap the benefits for putting in a charger, they'll need to put in enough chargers to meet the need or at least guarantee us a place to charge if we reserve a room from them.

• Love

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX

I do not believe it is possible with the gen2 WC to lock anyone out. Mine has the dip switches set to regular (not legacy) and I can still charge my leaf with an adapter. (Thankfully)

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I do not believe it is possible with the gen2 WC to lock anyone out. Mine has the dip switches set to regular (not legacy) and I can still charge my leaf with an adapter. (Thankfully)
For those who aren't familiar, the undocumented DIP switch allowed gen 2 wall connectors to toggle between Normal and Legacy mode. Normal mode can prevent some non-Tesla EVs from charging. I found several threads that indicated many other EVs couldn't charge but luckily your Leaf could. In Legacy mode, the roadster and non-Tesla EVs could charge without issues. Gen 3 has a more obvious "Tesla only" charging option.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC