Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bed and breakfast- what to install to attract people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to post a photo from ipod but it would not work. Just an exterior 14-50 on our garage (albeit with solar power on the roof). I'll look for more in am
If I search or am informed of rules further I will post and plug Wednesday. Airbnb and plugshare now have us listed but Airbnb needs better way to show electric car stuff.
Eastern NC, go pirates!

I am also looking to advance EV vacations and want to see if anyone else has found a successful way to advertise to travelers in EV's. I keep bothering airbnb to add "EV Charging" as a filter like WIFI or Pets.

Our place is in South Lake Tahoe where the only plug shares are at hotels. We installed a 14-50 for charging so that guests can top off at night and have an uncompromised vacation!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1627187

- - - Updated - - -

How do you search for B&B's or any lodging that offers charging? Plugshare does not integrate with airbnb...at least not yet ;-)

Added 14-50 to our house so that Tesla owners can have an uncompromised EV vacation.

Speaking for myself, I'd actively seek out a B&B, Inn or hotel with charging, however I'd also have no problem paying a reasonable fee to use it. If we're going to get more charging stations installed at low usage places like B&B's I feel we should be willing to pay something for the convenience, not to mention the cost of the power.

I may be a bit biased, but I think Tesla is currently the only car for EV touring. As such, I think you would be best served focusing on that for now. But, the good news is Tesla owners are in a very very desirable segment as they can afford an expensive car and are likely to have the means (and interest) for B&Bs. That means a simple NEMA 14-50 outlet. Right now, I have several areas where I would like to spend a weekend. If any of the B&B or hotels have a charger or outlet, I will not hesitate to book a room there. I use plugshare and recargo (and the regional TM club forum) to look for places so you would definitely want to have your info there.
I wouldn't rule out PHEV/EREV. When I first bought my Volt I stayed at a B&B on the way home (NY->IL) and I charged on a 120v extension cord from their garage. Liked having the electric when I went out to dinner that night and the next morning for the first 40 miles. For a Telsa (I'm a Model X deposit holder), I would like a 14-50 but a L2 would work as I would schedule my stop at the B&B with some range left.

I wouldn't rule out PHEV/EREV. When I first bought my Volt I stayed at a B&B on the way home (NY->IL) and I charged on a 120v extension cord from their garage. Liked having the electric when I went out to dinner that night and the next morning for the first 40 miles. For a Telsa (I'm a Model X deposit holder), I would like a 14-50 but a L2 would work as I would schedule my stop at the B&B with some range left.

For Tesla's, a 14-50 is the most cost effective install. For the same size wire, #6, you can use a 60 Amp breaker and run a 48 Amp EVSE. The ClipperCreek HCS-60, 48A, 240V Vehicle Charging Station (EVSE) is quite cost effective at $899 and will let the Volts of the world plug in.

At Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals in Pagosa Springs, Colorado and Wood's High Mountain Distillery in Salida, Colorado, both a long way from urban centers, the only vehicles besides Teslas that have stopped by to charge have been Volts.

Update: Listed on Recargo/plugshare.
Airbnb listing had ecar charging in title for a long time
Nobody has stayed here with an electric car.
I was really hoping Elon with kids or some other cross country cruiser would have stayed here...

I also would like to thank nursebee for considering EV customers. There are not a lot of us yet, but having B and B's listed on PlugShare.com will definately attract us, and more EVs (and PHEVs) are being sold everyday.

I certainly would be happy to pay a reasonable price to charge. Either $1/hour plugged in, or $10 per overnight stay, would be attractive rates for an EV driver that is spoiled by low electric rates like myself. Hopefully this would be enough to cover your investment, but it would be wise to keep your investment as low as possible until more EVs are on the road.

GSP

Are you happy with your bookings or trying to build them? If you are trying to build them and want to appeal to the EV market, maybe thinking differently would be good.

My 2¢ - I'd install 220. This can always be adapted to 110, but will provide enough overnight juice to any car. It will provide reasonable boost in a pinch.

If I want to appeal to EV owners I want to build my reputation as quickly as possible, that takes traffic. If I'm investing $1000 in infrastructure for the purpose of drawing traffic, I'm going to remove all potential impediments to use. To kick it off I'd offer a $10 night DISCOUNT for any pure EV guest, and free charging. Innovators and early adopters tend to be influencers and promoters, so you are likely to get your money back and then some in press. Ask for good Google Reviews. If I'm in the B&B business this investment to draw clients to rooms, not so I can sell electricity. Make the offer sweet, draw people in. Get known. Use the offer to get press.

Consider having 80 amp capacity for dual chargers. The incremental cost opens another promotional opportunity. Offer X minutes daytime charging for free to anyone (whatever juice it might take to get someone safely to the next supercharger).

There are not a lot of EV's out there and you want to Get Traffic, right? If you get more traffic than you can handle, THEN throttle back your offer. First get the traffic.

I am considering installation of EV charging capability at my South Carolina beach house, but my situation is a bit different than @nursebee. We do rent the house (six bedroom, four bath); it is typically on a weekly basis during the season (May through August) and then on different terms through the remainder of the year (weekly or monthly, etc). Unfortunately, I would not be able to list the plug on plugshare (or equivalent) and make it available for general public use, as that would interfere with the guests renting the house. The charging unit would be in a locked enclosure with the key available only to renters if they had an EV.

There is little EV charging infrastructure in and around the Myrtle Beach/Pawley's Island area. I have checked with our rental agency and they tell me that NO ONE has ever asked them about EV charging capability when looking for a rental. So while I am hoping to make our house attractive to EV owners, it appears there is little interest (at this time). At least I will be able to utilize it when I am at the house!!!

I am considering purchasing Clipper Creek HCS-60 (240v, 48 amp). My house has only 200 amp service at this time, but I met with the local electric utility last week and it is fairly easy to upgrade to 400 amp. I can then install a second main panel which will serve not only the car charger but also the two house HVAC units.

The electric utility company will charge me for the upgrade to 400 amp service; I am waiting for their estimate. Since I don't live in that area, I will likely have to hire a local electrician to do the remainder of the work (although I have done similar work myself in the past). All of this has to be scheduled around our renters --- the house will likely be without electric service for one or two days while the work is being accomplished.

For destination charging at a place like Myrtle Beach I think a Clipper Creek 60 would be perfect. One could always get a full charge in an 8 hour overnight and there is no real need to offer higher speed as you do not want to attract the passer by in a situation like this.

PS while I am a minority I do look for hotels with charging and will pay extra and/or go out of my way to use one.

On a recent road trip down I5, I stayed at the Marriot in Springfield, OR where a supercharger is located. I made sure the clerk that checked us in knew that we were staying there because of the SC. It's funny, the clerk acted like they had put them and were thinking about adding more. I smiled... I also have a reservation later this summer at the Mazama Country Inn in WA which has a CC90 and a couple of 14-50s for guests. I made it clear when getting the reservation that it was because of their chargers. Here's what I do when selecting and staying in hotels:
  • When making reservations ask if they have charging. if there is an option elsewhere, I decline to make a reservation and let them know where I will be staying.
  • Sometimes they actually are interested in what it takes to add charging so I explain some simple options and toss out installation costs as well as electricity costs for charging. (I usually recommend a "220V 50A RV outlet" which is pretty easy for most to understand.)
  • I also talk about how desirable the Tesla "demographic" is (higher income, predisposition to travel, high profile product and company).
  • When I check in I make sure that they know I chose them because of the charger. That closes the loop and lets them know they are getting business because of it.

I hope everyone else is doing something similar.

By the way, North Cascades where the Mazama Country Inn is located is a great EV touring area. There are a number of CC90s throughout the North Cascades Loop - about every 30-50 miles. Even LEAFs from Seattle are going there. Hopefully, this becomes a case study for all destination areas in the US and Canada.

I am considering installation of EV charging capability at my South Carolina beach house, but my situation is a bit different than @nursebee. We do rent the house (six bedroom, four bath); it is typically on a weekly basis during the season (May through August) and then on different terms through the remainder of the year (weekly or monthly, etc). Unfortunately, I would not be able to list the plug on plugshare (or equivalent) and make it available for general public use, as that would interfere with the guests renting the house. The charging unit would be in a locked enclosure with the key available only to renters if they had an EV.

There is little EV charging infrastructure in and around the Myrtle Beach/Pawley's Island area. I have checked with our rental agency and they tell me that NO ONE has ever asked them about EV charging capability when looking for a rental. So while I am hoping to make our house attractive to EV owners, it appears there is little interest (at this time). At least I will be able to utilize it when I am at the house!!!

I believe it's possible to add your beach house to PlugShare as a "residential charger" or possibly as a "restricted location" - and you could put something in the description which would make it clear to anyone searching that it's for renters only. I'd suggest at least contacting PlugShare and asking them how they'd recommend you list it so nobody mistakes it for a public charger. You might even be able to have them show it in their "hotels only" filter.

I happen to be driving to Myrtle Beach (on my way from DC to FL) this coming week, and I agree about the relative lack of charging infrastructure. It was a bit of a challenge finding even a 120V outlet at a hotel/condo that I could use. I'm hoping that'll be enough to get me around town while I'm there and ultimately to the Santee supercharger when I leave. I also hope that my asking around did plant a couple seeds in the minds of the property managers I spoke with. And I'll definitely post the Beach Cove Resort in North Myrtle to PlugShare (along with a TripAdvisor review) if I end up charging successfully while I'm there. For anyone who's interested, I also got positive responses from three other resorts -- Dunes Village (+$25/night), Avista (no fee), and Bay Watch (+$8/night) -- but I don't think I should post a location to PlugShare that I haven't personally charged at.

And if I ever have a large enough group to warrant renting a 6-bedroom house near Myrtle Beach, I now know who to contact. :)