TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Beef; I'll miss you most of all....

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by nwdiver, Dec 1, 2015.

1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

#1 nwdiver, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Yep... I'm done... I've already pared back a lot; never buying beef (or any red meat) again :crying:

Still not ready to give up poultry...

2. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

So the cows digest plant matter and give off methane. How does this methane differ from the plant when it dies and rots?

Ever heard of "swamp gas / marsh gas" ?

3. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

In any respect it is healthy move. There's plenty of delicious meat that is not beef.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Well, good for you (in both senses).

Personally I prefer most other meats or fish anyway, and I'm also happy with eggplant (especially in a good imam bayıldı) or portabella.

Good news is that pig meat is relatively low energy, so bacon's not too bad, even though it's carcinogenic.

5. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

#5 DrGuest, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/time-to-choose-watch-the-new-film-from-oscar-winner-charles-ferguson_565c5678e4b079b2818acee0

In This new Climate Change film by Oscar winner Charles Ferguson, at 57:02 Points to the rain forest being deforested for soy for animal feed and palm oil for snack foods and cleaning products, etc. If we don't eat less beef, we will need 2.5 the current land mass of Earth, just to grow enough soy to feed the cows.

• Love x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Plants that die and rot naturally in air don't normally give off methane because the microorganisms use aerobic digestion.. Methane is produced by microorganismscusing anaerobic digestion. Corollary: if your compost heap stinks you're doing something wrong.

So, swamp gas/marsh gas is an example where the decay is happening in anaerobic conditions, like, say, standing water.

7. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Not a biologist but I believe it's a similar process but on steroids... in any case grasslands aren't typically a large source of methane... unless they're being used to raise cattle. CH4 concentrations are on the rise. Not as dramatically as CO2 but CH4 is also a more potent IR shield.

idl-sep-2013.png

8. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I like this way to start. I keep telling my kids that I need to be a vegan now that I have a Tesla, and I really, really want to be, for the earth, and all, but I love meat. I have been missing beef less and less as I've gotten older, so maybe this is the way to start. Sub fish for beef initially, but I still love chicken and pork and lamb and oh, my...hard choices. :cursing:

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

You mean like this kind of swamp/wetlands? Is this another reason to take a hacksaw to Florida? It's for the greater good! ;)

wet_usa2.jpeg

10. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

The uncircumcised penis of 'Murca! :tongue:

11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Our decision has been to eat less red meat, not give it up entirely. I'm simply not willing to do so. Everything in moderation.

12. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Good documentary on the subject. Covers all aspects carefully and thoroughly.

http://www.cowspiracy.com

(Streaming on Netflix)

• Like x 1
  13. Tamar

Tamar Member

Agreed! I've been off meat (though not off fish/seafood) for 40 years. Cowspiracy was an eye-opener, even for me. I thought I knew all the reasons to eat more plants.

14. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

*takes a bite of his triple cheeseburger*

Huh?

*continues to chow down*

Yeah, you'll never get me to give up beef until we run out of cows. I don't care if I have to slaughter and butcher them myself. lol

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This is where we are right now. I decided to just go full vegetarian for 9 months, and it was fine. The downside was having to please everyone at the table and cooking multiple meals, which eventually became a chore. It's hard enough in our house without dietary limitations. It also didn't help that I was cycling 30+ miles a day and trying to consume those calories without meat was a lot of eating. I fell off the wagon but our consumption has continued to drop. A "big" meat meal for this family of four includes a little over 3/4 of a pound of meat between us.

I'm still working on the dairy thing, though...

16. roblab

roblab Active Member

Having decided that we don't need the extra protein, I quit meat at age 20. The smell of meat still makes me think I like it, but an occasional taste didn't help make it to my diet.

That being said, there are lots of analogs out there, and some are really good. I especially like Worthington or Morningstar Farms, both of which make sandwich "meats" and fake bacon. They do NOT taste like meat (the fat is not there), but they are good. They also make fake sausage, burger, etc. These give your diet variety, and you can still build a burger, lots of ketchup, mayo, pickles, etc. Nobody thinks peanut butter fills all the niches.

Good for you. I wish you success and contentment!

17. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Please try to make it free range, if you can.

18. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

I, too, was a vegetarian for about 9 months when working on my MLitt...having a live-in vegetarian girlfriend will do that. A large red meat meal for my wife and kids (2 and 4) would consist of a ~2lb T-bone split between the four of us.

My kids drink 2 gallons of milk a week...so dairy isn't going anywhere.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

More for me. :)

20. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Weclome to the club! I took one environmental studies class 23 years ago then gave up meat.

Raising cows for meat is one of the worst things we do to the environment. The fact that we grow corn then feed it to cows (who didn't evolve to eat corn) is a horrible use of resources. Also the runoff (down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico) from corn production creates a huge dead zone in the gulf where no fish can live. Anyone who looks into the way meat is produced in the USA can't in good conscience keep eating meat. I know it is a hard thing to do for anyone, but if a boy born and raised on bbq in TX can do it, you can too!

Voting with your wallet is a great way to spark change.