Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beef; I'll miss you most of all....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meat Is Murder. But You Know That Already. Meat Is Murder. But You Know That Already.

Foer again emphasizes that our treatment of animals is unethical and inhumane. He correctly adds that the system that supports the raising of something like 10 billion land animals per year in the United States alone (a ballpark figure, since no reliably accurate number exists) is also a mighty contributor to a public health emergency and the climate crisis.
But industrial agriculture in general — the foundation of all of this — is an even bigger contributor, and that’s not all about meat. It’s about monoculture (the growing of one or at most two crops on vast swaths of land); it’s about the cartels that make up Big Ag; and it’s about using our most fertile land to grow corn and soybeans, not only to feed livestock but to form the basis of most ultra-processed food.

Reactions: ladysbff
  • Informative
Reactions: iPlug
How Do the New Plant-Based Burgers Stack Up? We Taste-Tested Them

Looks like the NYT agrees with me! The Beyond Burger got 4 stars, the Awesome Burger 2 and a half. The Impossible Burger comes out on top, though, for its similarity to the real thing.
Agree with the Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger being quite good.

Would say the jury is still out on the Awesome Burger - they did not taste test that one yet, which is supposed to be the new "new plant-meat contender". Although Sweet Earth is/will also be making the Awesome burger, the one they tested was their older "Fresh Veggie Burger". The Awesome Burger seems to be MIA. I went to our local SafeWay where it is supposed to be sold, but staff there said there was none and they knew nothing of it.

6. Sweet Earth Fresh Veggie Burger

★★½

Maker Sweet Earth Foods, Moss Landing, Calif.

Slogan “Exotic by Nature, Conscious by Choice”

Selling points Vegan, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price About $4.25 for two four-ounce patties.

Tasting notes This burger is sold only in flavors; I chose Mediterranean as the most neutral. Tasters liked the familiar profile of what Melissa declared “the burger for people who love falafel,” made mostly from chickpeas and bulked out with mushrooms and gluten. (Called “vital wheat gluten” on ingredient lists, it is a concentrated formulation of wheat gluten, commonly added to bread to make it lighter and chewier, and the main ingredient in seitan.) The burger wasn’t meaty, but had “nutty, toasted grain” notes that I liked from brown rice, and whiffs of spices like cumin and ginger. This burger is a longtime market leader, and Sweet Earth was recently acquired by Nestlé USA on the strength of it; the company is now introducing a new plant-meat contender called the Awesome Burger.

Agree with the Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger being quite good.

Would say the jury is still out on the Awesome Burger - they did not taste test that one yet, which is supposed to be the new "new plant-meat contender". Although Sweet Earth is/will also be making the Awesome burger, the one they tested was their older "Fresh Veggie Burger". The Awesome Burger seems to be MIA. I went to our local SafeWay where it is supposed to be sold, but staff there said there was none and they knew nothing of it.

6. Sweet Earth Fresh Veggie Burger

★★½

Maker Sweet Earth Foods, Moss Landing, Calif.

Slogan “Exotic by Nature, Conscious by Choice”

Selling points Vegan, soy-free, non-G.M.O.

Price About $4.25 for two four-ounce patties.

Tasting notes This burger is sold only in flavors; I chose Mediterranean as the most neutral. Tasters liked the familiar profile of what Melissa declared “the burger for people who love falafel,” made mostly from chickpeas and bulked out with mushrooms and gluten. (Called “vital wheat gluten” on ingredient lists, it is a concentrated formulation of wheat gluten, commonly added to bread to make it lighter and chewier, and the main ingredient in seitan.) The burger wasn’t meaty, but had “nutty, toasted grain” notes that I liked from brown rice, and whiffs of spices like cumin and ginger. This burger is a longtime market leader, and Sweet Earth was recently acquired by Nestlé USA on the strength of it; the company is now introducing a new plant-meat contender called the Awesome Burger.

Ah good distinction, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't paying attention. So I guess I've had both the Sweet Earth veggie burgers (from Whole Foods, I think the Santa Fe flavor) and the Sweet Earth Awesome Burger (at the tradeshow). To be honest the Awesome Burger tasted like the original Boca Burger to me, just heavier. It felt... retro... in comparison to Beyond and Impossible.

While on the topic, this is my favorite Sweet Earth product:
Harmless Ham & Chickpea Patty Frozen Sandwich w/Sundried Tomatoes | Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods

I also had this for the first time recently and it was my favorite out of all their burritos/empanadas:
Lighten Up! Functional Breakfast Burrito | Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods

Reactions: mspohr
Healthy diet means a healthy planet, study shows

Healthy diet means a healthy planet, study shows

Eating healthy food is almost always also best for the environment, according to the most sophisticated analysis to date.

The researchers said poor diets threaten society by seriously harming people and the planet, but the latest research can inform better choices.

The analysis assessed the health and environmental impacts of 15 foods common in western diets and found fruit, vegetables, beans and wholegrains were best for both avoiding disease and protecting the climate and water resources. Conversely, eating more red and processed meat causes the most ill health and pollution.

Some farming groups argue only intensively produced meat is seriously damaging to the environment. But Clark said replacing any meat with plant-based food makes the biggest difference. “How and where a food is produced affects its environmental impact, but to a much smaller extent than food choice,” he said.

World Bank urged to rethink investment in one of Brazil's big beef companies

World Bank urged to rethink investment in one of Brazil's big beef companies

The World Bank should reconsider its investment in one of Brazil’s biggest beef producers because of the industry’s links to deforestation and the climate crisis, according to two UN-appointed experts.

Minerva is Brazil’s second largest beef exporter, and some of its product is supplied, both directly and indirectly, by cattle farmers based in the Amazon rainforest.

predecessor in the post, the international law professor John Knox, said the IFC and other finance houses should ensure they were not contributing to industries fuelling the climate crisis, “including by ending their support for massive industrial beef operations that depend on deforestation”.

He added: “International funding that contributes to the ongoing climate breakdown, either by supporting fossil fuel projects or by supporting deforestation, is completely inexcusable.”

And look what is now in stock at our Rosevile Costco:

8BDC555D-014D-4445-A9AC-A047C8A9795B.jpeg

Food in 2050: bacon grown on blades of grass and bioreactor chicken nuggets

Food in 2050: bacon grown on blades of grass and bioreactor chicken nuggets

In 2004, the Guardian correctly predicted that the developed world’s overreliance on meat would be one of the most pressing issues for the survival of our species. “Britons need to say goodbye to burgers and meat,” we wrote, “because the overemphasis on meat in the western diet is one of the things that stifles sustainable food production.”

Thankfully, the past decade and a half has seen an unprecedented interest in meat-free diets. In 2004, veganism was seen as a fussy, faddish lifestyle choice. Now, buoyed by blockbuster documentaries such as Cowspiracy and What the Health, and celebrities such as Ellie Goulding and Ariana Grande, it has never been so popular. According to the Vegan Society, 600,000 Britons are vegan. In 2006, this figure was just 150,000.

Friedrich is optimistic that we will all be eating cultivated meat by 2050. “There won’t be factory farms or abattoirs in 2050,” he predicts. “People will look back at the idea of growing live animals for meat in the same way that we look back at horse-drawn carriages for getting from London to Brussels.” But we won’t entirely stop eating meat from animals reared for slaughter. “There will be some heritage breed farms and slaughterhouses where the animals are treated well,” Friedrich concedes. But it will be a limited market.

• Love