Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beef; I'll miss you most of all....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We miscalculate environmental risk: eating certain meats is about the worst thing you can do to the planet.
The Guardian has a good opinion piece on this subject today.
Warning: your festive meal could be more damaging than a long-haul flight | George Monbiot | Opinion | The Guardian
Ha! And I thought I was "saving up" by not eating meat for a month so I could enjoy my holiday rib roast. Still going to try - I'll just get the dog on cleanup duty so I can save water by not rinsing first!

Vinland, an excellent restaurant here in Portland (Maine), uses only local ingredients, with the exception of coffee and wine. No olive oil, pepper, etc. The locavore diet has much to commend it, but low carbon footprint isn't one of them, at least according to the sources I've checked including Freakonomics (whom I generally trust not to have an agenda).

Robert, tho I do not think they have an agenda, that study is based on assumption that local agriculture changes crops to support stable local diet, vs changing diet to adjust to local crops. Good locavore approach probably somewhere in between.

Robert, tho I do not think they have an agenda, that study is based on assumption that local agriculture changes crops to support stable local diet, vs changing diet to adjust to local crops. Good locavore approach probably somewhere in between.

Yes, the Freakanomics article takes the extreme case of growing the same diet locally which is absurd.
Other studies have shown that shipping can be low impact (boats are most efficient, airplanes least).
But we are getting away from the point that we need to change our diet to eat less meat.

Well, for us it's a no-beef Christmas, and I guess we're doing a combined A+ and F in our flagship course for meal because it is...

bison-caribou stew.

*The carrots, onions, potatoes are locally (Arizona) grown

*The caribou is locally (i.e., my driveway!!!) Alaska, ummm, harvested

*The bison is locally (Alaska) harvested

So there I'm giving myself an A+. And we're far happier with those meats than with beeves from any place.

But...we did drive those meats down to Arizona....3,665 miles. So I guess I get a fail there. Right? :biggrin:

I don't think it's time to give up meat yet. Someday, perhaps, but not yet. Perhaps just a reduction. They claim it's healthier, yet the vegetarians I know over time develop weird health issues. I don't think they are getting all the nutrients the human body really needs...

Personally, I gave up meat 32 years ago, and haven't wanted it since. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but seems to be working for me. Never any major health issues, and doctor seems to think I am quite healthy for my age. I don't go out of my way to try to balance things either. (Well, I am somewhat overweight, but I blame the sweets, and minimal exercise more than the lack of meat...)

Reactions: dhrivnak
...The movie Forks over Knives influenced us somehow... Forks Over Knives | Official Website
The Forks Over Knives | The Film has been the best encouragement for me to eat healthier avoiding dairy and animal and enjoying large quantities of plant based foods. I highly recommend that you purchase a Digital Copy, Blu-ray or DVD and watch it on occasion until you grasp all the worldwide research studies that prove that a plant based diet is something you will desire for optimal health.

I grew up with a varied diet, but my parents didn't have white flour, sugar or heavily processed foods in the house. Ferraro's Carrot Juice and Alta Dena Certified Raw Milk products were always in the kitchen. It was a foundation that returned decades of excellent health. Vintage Advertising PC; Ferraros Liquid Gold Pure Carrot Juice of Monrovia CA That old postcard brings back memories of countless visits to purchase the juice in gallon glass bottles that would be packed in ice. Amazing historic photo from the 1960s.

Zoom forward to today and I will summarize. The Forks over Knives movie provides the WHY you should have a whole foods, plant based diet. Dr. Fuhrman books and PBS specials give you easy information on HOW to plan your meals and ensure you are including greens, beans, onions, mushrooms (cooked), berries and seeds daily. Dr. Joel Fuhrman Improves Health - Lose Weight Naturally | Reverse Diabetes | Prevent Heart Disease and Cancer | Lower Cholesterol

And if you forget everything else on this post, memorize this from Dr. Fuhrman:

Make Salad the Main Dish!

(and make those plant based vegetable salads huge!)

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is anyone else surprised the "vegan interior hijackers" haven't come in this thread, yet?

Aaawww... and this thread had been going SO well...

I'm not surprised, because they won their fight, at least in part. The Tesla Model X has a premium vegan seating option (Ultra White upholstery), and the premium package stays vegan when the vegan seats are selected.

And if you forget everything else on this post, memorize this from Dr. Fuhrman:

Make Salad the Main Dish!

(and make those plant based vegetable salads huge!)

I dislike salads. They take too long to eat because they have to be bigger to fill people up. People dump excessive amounts of yucky "dressing" and synthetic "bacon" on them to cover up the blandness of the leafs. Trix are for kids :biggrin:, salads are for rabbits :eek:

As an alternative to those like me who hate salad, I am a proponent of vegetable kabobs.

I dislike salads. They take too long to eat because they have to be bigger to fill people up. People dump excessive amounts of yucky "dressing" and synthetic "bacon" on them to cover up the blandness of the leafs. Trix are for kids :biggrin:, salads are for rabbits :eek:

As an alternative to those like me who hate salad, I am a proponent of vegetable kabobs.

Sure, kabobs are great. But salads can be great too. You do not HAVE to dump yucky "dressing" or "baco's" on it. My typical dressing is lemon and olive oil with salt and pepper... maybe with some shallot or fresh herbs in it. Try kale with pomegranate seeds, pepitas, and jalepeno. I can have that made before your grill heats up for the kebabs. So, I'd have that for lunch, and the kebabs for dinner, maybe. (Tho I usually eat meat or fish at dinner).

The Asheville supercharger has a Beef Jerky Outlet within a couple minutes walk... I was in heaven, and spent way too much money...

2016-01-16 17.29.01.jpg

2016-01-16 17.26.14.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
The Asheville supercharger has a Beef Jerky Outlet within a couple minutes walk... I was in heaven, and spent way too much money...
By any chance, did you - or anyone else - listen to All Things Considered's piece two days ago on jerky? They featured a Texas store that must have looked like the one you photographed (why on earth did you take that pic? Anticipating this thread?!?!?:)??!?!?). Link here: Crazy For Jerky: An Ancient Trail Food Finds New Fans : The Salt : NPR