Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beekeeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice, what do you think of those Honey Flow frames?
I only put out one flow box (have two)- and the bees have finished out the wax and quite a few cells capped. I'll probably be able to get first harvest in the next few weeks, at least from the middle frames.

I'm at a bit of disadvantage, since I lost some hives due to the drought. I installed some new nucs this last weekend, but I'm not expecting anything from those hives, other than to just grow and thrive this year.

I don't think I've seen a wet-looking frame. Maybe the bees in NorCal just do it differently? Hard to say. :) But all the queens are locally-bred.

Here's what one of my full honey frames looks like (minus the parts I ate :) ): Most of my honey frames have that "wet" look you see throughout. I confess that when I saw your photo, I also said to myself "that's a nice brood pattern".
199056_1745980022566_2074722_n.jpg

Maybe my bees are more lazy and don't bother filling the cell before capping? "Yeah, we're good here." :)

That particular hive has a double brood box, with the second one more honey than brood. The box above is all honey. And mostly looks like the pic I shared.

I'm wondering if they cap earlier because it's pretty low humidity here & the honey was just ready to cap before the cell was topped off. Yours are overflowing!

Dry or wet frames may be more related to climate than genetics. Just a guess though.

I haven't seen many honeybees around here this year, but they might have been pushed out by bumblebees. Last weekend we discovered a giant bumblebee nest under our deck. The last few years I've seen a lot of honey bees around and I suspect there are some wild hives in the woods near here.

Pollen from different flower species.

Yep. I suspect the wide variety of colors is because of the two acres of wildflowers I've seeded over the last year. They have a lot to choose from.

The 'Radiant Red' is the only bad one there - from the California Buckeye. It's toxic to the bees in high quantities. I've removed all the buckeye from my property, but it probably wouldn't be good form to mow down the neighbors' trees.

Good news is it's present in a low enough quantity that it's not a problem. If there was a lot of it, I'd be removing it from the frame.

• Informative
Reactions: 1208
Yep. I suspect the wide variety of colors is because of the two acres of wildflowers I've seeded over the last year. They have a lot to choose from.

The 'Radiant Red' is the only bad one there - from the California Buckeye. It's toxic to the bees in high quantities. I've removed all the buckeye from my property, but it probably wouldn't be good form to mow down the neighbors' trees.

Good news is it's present in a low enough quantity that it's not a problem. If there was a lot of it, I'd be removing it from the frame.

I've just read a bunch about the California Buckeye. Very fascinating! I had no idea it was toxic.

I may not sleep tonight... The further I go down the rabbit hole, the more fascinating it gets!

Sick Bees – Part 18F2: Colony Collapse Revisited – Plant Allelochemicals @ Scientific Beekeeping
Ah, that beekeeper lives just over the hill from me - I wanted some of his queens this year, but he didn't have any. He's been breeding mite-resistant colonies. He's def an asset to the community.

Part of the problem is that the buckeye is in the group of 'first to blossom' in the spring, so the bee don't have a lot of choice in this area. That's why I watch just how much buckeye pollen sneaks into the hive. Last year was bad, there wasn't a lot of alternative pollen - I cut out a bunch.

This year is def a better outcome & I suspect an outcome of the large amount of wildflower seed I put down last fall. I also stopped mowing anywhere there was clover so that it was flowering at about the same time. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I think alternative food sources is the best way to combat, plus being ready to remove buckeye pollen when it is the majority stored.

Last edited:
I sold my hives before leaving California, keeping only a few hard-to-find and/or pricey woodenware. I bought some land overlooking the Columbia River Gorge and now working with an architect on house plans - there will be lots of nectar sources for the bees when I reestablish, but have to deal with the wind (there's a reason this is a destination for so many kiters/windsurfers).

I'm thinking a windbreak type of fence on three sides of the bee yard (big enough for 3-4 hives), with at least 3' clearance around. Hive entrances will be on a non-wind side. Thoughts from others?

Fortunately the wind is only predominantly from one direction. We get blasted here when storms come in during the winter. About half way through the first winter we had to move the welcome mats inside the doors. I got tired of having to go and find them in the backyard.

I don't know how close you are to the peach orchards, but there are some peach farms on the north side of the river. I don't recall where they are with respect to where you are. You do live just across the river from the largest fruit growing valley in Oregon. Every October I do the Fruit Loop and stock up on apples. I just ran out last week.

Of course there should be plenty of wild sources for pollen. You live in the middle of a National Scenic Area.

Fortunately the wind is only predominantly from one direction. We get blasted here when storms come in during the winter. About half way through the first winter we had to move the welcome mats inside the doors. I got tired of having to go and find them in the backyard.

I don't know how close you are to the peach orchards, but there are some peach farms on the north side of the river. I don't recall where they are with respect to where you are. You do live just across the river from the largest fruit growing valley in Oregon. Every October I do the Fruit Loop and stock up on apples. I just ran out last week.

Of course there should be plenty of wild sources for pollen. You live in the middle of a National Scenic Area.
And there are many, many fruit orchards on this side of the river, too. And wineries. Plus all the wild options. You're right - tons of options for the bees. I spent a lot of time in the past feeding bees and getting very little honey because of drought situations. I'm looking forward to dealing with new challenges, like wind.