TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Been awhile Should I still buy?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Navyguy, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Navyguy

Navyguy Dreamer

It has been a while since I have been in tune with the Tesla scene. I have not lost interest in one. I last posted a should I buy almost a year ago.

I have recently gotten a new job with an increase in pay from 70K to about 90K annually (+- maybe 10-20k depending on commissions). So I am heavily contemplating on getting one.

It would however be my daily driver and PROBABLY my only car, unless I picked up something somewhat presentable for cheap that I could use for daily commute not likely.

Has there been any real new news or headway in terms of safety and longevity? such as the issues I last heard about battery issues with charging etc even few and far between but some caught fire if I remember. What about mileage. whats the most daily miles driven by some of you and how has it worked out? I drive to customers that can range to about an hour a away, and maybe see 3-4 of them per day. Most would be generally in similar areas so I wouldn't really be driving 4 straight hours.

How has the autopilot come along? any new cool new advances in the last 8 or so months?

thanks for the catch up.

2. Austin Powers

Austin Powers Member

Spend a few hours every day on TMC and within a month, you will get caught up. Welcome back.

• Like x 3
  3. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I don't think anything has changed significantly other than the refresh of the S. In fact, the latest rumors and waiting are for the 100KW packs and v2 of Autopilot. Those are the 2 things (100kw/AP2.0) that would move me off the fence to trade in for the latest and greatest.

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Place an order for the Model 3 and keep saving.
    You aren't in a rush and the best is yet to come.......

And congrats on the new job!

5. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Go for a test drive. All your questions will be answered.

6. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Some days I work from home. But on days I don't, I am visiting customers in Silicon Valley. About a 130 mile roundtrip from where I live. The MS with AP is a fantastic commute car. The nav works great. Stop and go traffic is a lot easier with AP doing the driving. I have had mine almost two years. No issues. Best car I have ever owned!

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Second the Model 3 suggestion.

8. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Or wait until the 100/AP2.0 comes out, and scoop up a sweet CPO car at a discount! There will be many after that happens...

• Like x 1
  9. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

The question on driving 4 hours is if there are supercharger that work for you, because you will have to charge. The car's bugs have been worked out, it is a dream to drive.

10. privater

privater 2016 Model S60 owner

Lease Model s and reserve a model 3

11. GSP

GSP Member

Checkout supercharge.info to see all of the routes that are now quick and easy for long trips. Tesla says they will double the number of supercharger locations before the Model 3 is delivered.

supercharge.info

Also checkout Tesla's destination charging page and plugshare.com for interesting places go with convenient overnight charging.

Once you own a Tesla, you will not want to drive any other car, and you can take it anywhere.

GSP

12. mmccord

mmccord Member

Yes, based on your original post, I'm concerned about this. Especially parking and driving again in the winter (looks like you're in Ohio?).

13. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I'm in Southern Illinois. I travel South and often into Arkansas, where there are no superchargers at all. Check out the Plugshare app, it helped me understand my options better. I'm not traveling on business, bit Superchargers in Memphis and Little Rock would help me out.

I would love to have a Tesla in sales in the Midwest. Lots to chat about with the car people and green people.

When it gets cold, battery range will get worse. Plan for that. I have a 4X4 pickup to get around and haul, but we don't get much snow this far South.

I ordered a Model S 90D, arrives in September. Tesla is in St Louis, 110 miles away. It is an adventure.

14. mmccord

mmccord Member

Sorry, I quoted your post, but only in agreement. I was addressing the original poster.

15. bevguy

bevguy Member

Tesla has applied for a Memphis SC permit but has not yet yet received the approval

16. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

According to the TN sub-forum it will be located at 1203 Ridgeway Rd.

17. travwill

travwill Member

Here is a helpful site for you:
    supercharge.info

18. jmanning

jmanning Member

Welcome back Navyguy,

We have the 70D with autopilot. It IS your daily driver period !
    New features, new front end, sweeter rims come standard, tech continues to improve, new 2 Year lease is available if you don't like leasing, autopilot has continued to improve, make the jump this month and end the agony or get in line for Model 3 which would prob come out for you in late 2018 earliest. Good luck with your decisions, and their is NO wrong decision, accept for not getting one.......

• Like x 1
  19. skyhix

skyhix Member

it's rare that you will have anyone on here having any regrets getting a Tesla! If you feel the time is now, go for it!