Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been awhile Should I still buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been a while since I have been in tune with the Tesla scene. I have not lost interest in one. I last posted a should I buy almost a year ago.

I have recently gotten a new job with an increase in pay from 70K to about 90K annually (+- maybe 10-20k depending on commissions). So I am heavily contemplating on getting one.

It would however be my daily driver and PROBABLY my only car, unless I picked up something somewhat presentable for cheap that I could use for daily commute not likely.

Has there been any real new news or headway in terms of safety and longevity? such as the issues I last heard about battery issues with charging etc even few and far between but some caught fire if I remember. What about mileage. whats the most daily miles driven by some of you and how has it worked out? I drive to customers that can range to about an hour a away, and maybe see 3-4 of them per day. Most would be generally in similar areas so I wouldn't really be driving 4 straight hours.

How has the autopilot come along? any new cool new advances in the last 8 or so months?

thanks for the catch up.

I don't think anything has changed significantly other than the refresh of the S. In fact, the latest rumors and waiting are for the 100KW packs and v2 of Autopilot. Those are the 2 things (100kw/AP2.0) that would move me off the fence to trade in for the latest and greatest.

Some days I work from home. But on days I don't, I am visiting customers in Silicon Valley. About a 130 mile roundtrip from where I live. The MS with AP is a fantastic commute car. The nav works great. Stop and go traffic is a lot easier with AP doing the driving. I have had mine almost two years. No issues. Best car I have ever owned!

Checkout supercharge.info to see all of the routes that are now quick and easy for long trips. Tesla says they will double the number of supercharger locations before the Model 3 is delivered.

supercharge.info

Also checkout Tesla's destination charging page and plugshare.com for interesting places go with convenient overnight charging.

Once you own a Tesla, you will not want to drive any other car, and you can take it anywhere.

GSP

Yes, based on your original post, I'm concerned about this. Especially parking and driving again in the winter (looks like you're in Ohio?).
I'm in Southern Illinois. I travel South and often into Arkansas, where there are no superchargers at all. Check out the Plugshare app, it helped me understand my options better. I'm not traveling on business, bit Superchargers in Memphis and Little Rock would help me out.

I would love to have a Tesla in sales in the Midwest. Lots to chat about with the car people and green people.

When it gets cold, battery range will get worse. Plan for that. I have a 4X4 pickup to get around and haul, but we don't get much snow this far South.

I ordered a Model S 90D, arrives in September. Tesla is in St Louis, 110 miles away. It is an adventure.

I'm in Southern Illinois. I travel South and often into Arkansas, where there are no superchargers at all. Check out the Plugshare app, it helped me understand my options better. I'm not traveling on business, bit Superchargers in Memphis and Little Rock would help me out.

I would love to have a Tesla in sales in the Midwest. Lots to chat about with the car people and green people.

When it gets cold, battery range will get worse. Plan for that. I have a 4X4 pickup to get around and haul, but we don't get much snow this far South.

I ordered a Model S 90D, arrives in September. Tesla is in St Louis, 110 miles away. It is an adventure.

Here is a helpful site for you:
supercharge.info

Welcome back Navyguy,

We have the 70D with autopilot. It IS your daily driver period !
New features, new front end, sweeter rims come standard, tech continues to improve, new 2 Year lease is available if you don't like leasing, autopilot has continued to improve, make the jump this month and end the agony or get in line for Model 3 which would prob come out for you in late 2018 earliest. Good luck with your decisions, and their is NO wrong decision, accept for not getting one.......

Reactions: PtG62901