Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been denied refund on CPO deposit three times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that, but the car that they sens me pictures of is not one I want to buy. Plus, the poor communication since the deposit leads me not to want to do business with the Tesla CPO program.

I don't understand. You saw the photos of the car and decided to put down a deposit and haven't seen the car yet in person to reject. I know you bought a similar car off of ebay and saw photos of it too and then backed out of that one as well. I think you were lucky to get your deposit back on that one and surprised he did. I guess I don't understand how after seeing pictures of the CPO car (alot them and nice quality) you expect a disclosed, non-refundable deposit (where someone else could have bought the car in the meantime) to be returned to you because now you've changed your mind.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't understand. You saw the photos of the car and decided to put down a deposit and haven't seen the car yet in person. I know you bought a similar car off of ebay and saw photos of it too and then backed out of that one as well. I think you were lucky to get your deposit back on that one.
The eBay sale ended because my bank wouldn't do business out of state. For the CPO car, I put the deposit down before I saw the pictures. So, that is my fault.

Then its misseading to group different transactions into the same bucket and call the bucket by a name that implies Tesla is at fault. When I started reading this thread, I figured there was more to the story that was not being explained. So be it.

I'm to the point that I'm going to ask my credit card company to dispute the charge. Any other thoughts? This cpo process is a huge pain in my ass, so sorry I ever clicked that button.

Sue them in small claims court. Or file a chargeback on your CC.

They are not building the vehicle specifically for you as they would with a new order.

They cannot legally keep your money if you refuse delivery.

Not saying you're in the wrong or not. But isn't the point of a deposit to protect the seller from the buyer backing out?

If you take a deposit for a product costing over $50,000, there is some expectation that a quality product will be delivered. Communication and detailed information about the product being sold along with an accurate timeline for delivery is a part of that expectation. So is showing respect to the customer when inquiries are made rather than blowing the customer off by not communicating.

If you take a deposit, not communicate effectively, and not establish a reasonable delivery process, and the buyer then gets pissed off and wants their money back, the right thing to do is refund the buyer and improve how they sell cars to avoid future customers being similarly disappointed.

If you take a deposit for a product costing over $50,000, there is some expectation that a quality product will be delivered. Communication and detailed information about the product being sold along with an accurate timeline for delivery is a part of that expectation. So is showing respect to the customer when inquiries are made rather than blowing the customer off by not communicating.

If you take a deposit, not communicate effectively, and not establish a reasonable delivery process, and the buyer then gets pissed off and wants their money back, the right thing to do is refund the buyer and improve how they sell cars to avoid future customers being similarly disappointed.
Thank you, although the car was 33.4k I still deserve some respect.

Reactions: GSP
...deposit...

I wish people understand what they paid for.

When you paid $2,500, Tesla does not call it "Deposit." It is called "Order Payment."

XvcW9Vs.jpg

They clearly state the fact that "All order payments are non-refundable":

ZS12Rjl.jpg

Are you the U.S. President whom the former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson reported that he "...doesn’t like to read,..."?

And just because you keep calling it "deposit" without reading what you paid for and you think you can win in court?

If you don't agree that it is indeed a non-refundable "order payment", then don't click on the button called "BUY".

That blue button does not say "deposit"!

Would you think the jurors would be sympathetic to those who are able to read but refuse to do so because they think they know better?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dhrivnak and Brando
I wish people understand what they paid for.

When you paid $2,500, Tesla does not call it "Deposit." It is called "Order Payment."

XvcW9Vs.jpg

They clearly state the fact that "All order payments are non-refundable":

ZS12Rjl.jpg

Are you the U.S. President whom the former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson reported that he "...doesn’t like to read,..."?

And just because you keep calling it "deposit" without reading what you paid for and you think you can win in court?

If you don't agree that it is indeed a non-refundable "order payment", then don't click on the button called "BUY".

That blue button does not say "deposit"!

Would you think the jurors would be sympathetic to those who are able to read but refuse to do so because they think they know better?
Actually, you're right. It's an order payment, since I didn't get my order I should get a refund.