Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Been Driving My 3 for a few days. A few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1 - Today i parked it on front of my garage after a 25 mile drive, went in house for a few minutes, came out, put it in Drive and the headlights came on and all the sounds were normal but the screen was totally black. I put it in park again, then drive, same thing. I'm thinking WTF. I drove slowly around my neighborhood and about 3 minutes later a Tesla "T" symbol showed and then the screen was there. LTE was not available for a few more minutes. I'ts almost like it went through a boot sequence?

2 - I noticed weird shaking in my steering wheel. i thought it was a problem but i think it may be a feature as it happens when I go near a solid line on the side of the road. feature?

3 - I was thinking when i use regenerative braking are drivers behind me seeing brake lights or do they come on as a safety precaution. i can't see as i'm driving so...do the break lights come on when you are using regenerative breaking?

Thanks!

1 - did it do a software update?
2 - that is the lane departure warning - I believe you can turn it off if you like.
3 - regen braking will show the brake light - you should be able to see it using the rear camera, esp at night.

1 - Today i parked it on front of my garage after a 25 mile drive, went in house for a few minutes, came out, put it in Drive and the headlights came on and all the sounds were normal but the screen was totally black. I put it in park again, then drive, same thing. I'm thinking WTF. I drove slowly around my neighborhood and about 3 minutes later a Tesla "T" symbol showed and then the screen was there. LTE was not available for a few more minutes. I'ts almost like it went through a boot sequence?

2 - I noticed weird shaking in my steering wheel. i thought it was a problem but i think it may be a feature as it happens when I go near a solid line on the side of the road. feature?

3 - I was thinking when i use regenerative braking are drivers behind me seeing brake lights or do they come on as a safety precaution. i can't see as i'm driving so...do the break lights come on when you are using regenerative breaking?

Thanks!

3. It depends on how fast you're going. Look at your display. The cartoon of the model 3 has its brake lights turn off/on correspondingly with your car.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
If the screen stays black like that or anything else acts up or stops working just hold down both steering wheel buttons to reboot the system.

The vibration is the lane departure warning, it can be disabled if you want.

You can see when the brake lights turn on during regen by looking at your car on the screen.

It happens, the computer locked up. Just wait a few minutes and it should reboot. Doesn't happen much, but it happened twice in a row to me yesterday. The car should still be drivable, but the seats may be stuck in Easy Entry position.

You should not drive on the middle lines ;) That's the lane departure warning. Lot of people think that its a wheel balance issue)

The lights will come on if there is enough breaking. It doesn't come on if there is light deceleration. My wife was freaking about this, so I had to make her go in another ca behind me and we were talking on the phone so she could see it.
Interesting point is that the Adaptive Cruise Control doesn't use it and does a much better job of following than a human does.

Thanks!

#1, I've experienced this several times in the past two months I've owned the M3. It seems like the car is going into a deep sleep for some reason and has to wake up. Light's come on and you can put it in Drive and drive away, but no AC and screen is black for a bit.
I emailed Tesla and they instructed me to do the following: Tried the Touchscreen Reboot and it didn't help. Tried the Power Cycle this morning, will have to wait and see if there are any improvements.

Touchscreen Reboot:

1. Place your vehicle in park at a safe location.
  2. Unplug any USB Devices from the center console.
  3. Place your foot on the brake pedal, and hold it down for the duration of the reboot.
  4. Press and hold both the left and right scrolling wheel buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen goes off, and continue to hold until the touchscreen illuminates and displays the Tesla logo in the center.
Power Cycle:

1. Place your vehicle in park at a safe location.
  2. Remain in the car with the doors closed and keep your foot away from the brake pedal.
  3. Touch Controls (little car icon bottom left hand corner of the touchscreen) > Safety & Security > Vehicle Power > Power Off.
  4. Once you select power off, the touchscreen and vehicle accessories will power off.
  5. After 2 minutes have elapsed press the brake to wake the car up.