TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Been Driving My 3 for a few days. A few questions

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bottomsup, Sep 5, 2018.

1. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

1 - Today i parked it on front of my garage after a 25 mile drive, went in house for a few minutes, came out, put it in Drive and the headlights came on and all the sounds were normal but the screen was totally black. I put it in park again, then drive, same thing. I'm thinking WTF. I drove slowly around my neighborhood and about 3 minutes later a Tesla "T" symbol showed and then the screen was there. LTE was not available for a few more minutes. I'ts almost like it went through a boot sequence?

2 - I noticed weird shaking in my steering wheel. i thought it was a problem but i think it may be a feature as it happens when I go near a solid line on the side of the road. feature?

3 - I was thinking when i use regenerative braking are drivers behind me seeing brake lights or do they come on as a safety precaution. i can't see as i'm driving so...do the break lights come on when you are using regenerative breaking?

Thanks!

2. twm01

twm01 Member

1 - did it do a software update?
    2 - that is the lane departure warning - I believe you can turn it off if you like.
    3 - regen braking will show the brake light - you should be able to see it using the rear camera, esp at night.

3. Vegan Pleather

3. It depends on how fast you're going. Look at your display. The cartoon of the model 3 has its brake lights turn off/on correspondingly with your car.

• Informative x 1
  4. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

3. Depends on your rate of deceleration, not speed.

5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

If the screen stays black like that or anything else acts up or stops working just hold down both steering wheel buttons to reboot the system.

The vibration is the lane departure warning, it can be disabled if you want.

You can see when the brake lights turn on during regen by looking at your car on the screen.

6. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

humm did not notice. this is so subtle. will look tomorrow

7. drawfour

drawfour Member

If your car is red, it is much harder to see them light up, since they are red as well, so you have to look really closely.

• Like x 1
  8. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

9. bolton2160

bolton2160 Member

#1, I've experienced this several times in the past two months I've owned the M3. It seems like the car is going into a deep sleep for some reason and has to wake up. Light's come on and you can put it in Drive and drive away, but no AC and screen is black for a bit.
    I emailed Tesla and they instructed me to do the following: Tried the Touchscreen Reboot and it didn't help. Tried the Power Cycle this morning, will have to wait and see if there are any improvements.

Touchscreen Reboot:

1. Place your vehicle in park at a safe location.
    2. Unplug any USB Devices from the center console.
    3. Place your foot on the brake pedal, and hold it down for the duration of the reboot.
    4. Press and hold both the left and right scrolling wheel buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen goes off, and continue to hold until the touchscreen illuminates and displays the Tesla logo in the center.
    Power Cycle:

1. Place your vehicle in park at a safe location.
    2. Remain in the car with the doors closed and keep your foot away from the brake pedal.
    3. Touch Controls (little car icon bottom left hand corner of the touchscreen) > Safety & Security > Vehicle Power > Power Off.
    4. Once you select power off, the touchscreen and vehicle accessories will power off.
    5. After 2 minutes have elapsed press the brake to wake the car up.

10. Bruinfan

Bruinfan Member

well, speed too: if you are slowing to a stop, brake lights come on no matter how slow you are decelerating.

or put another way: the faster you are going, the more the rate of decel matters in terms of triggering the brake lights.