TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

*Beeping* Model 3s

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Breakfast, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Breakfast

Breakfast Member

• Like x 1
  2. henleyregatta

henleyregatta Member

I've seen reports that, in order to comply with late night quiet time legislation, there should be a "disable" button for the noise. Which might be to your tastes.

As has been pointed out in lots of places, it's sensible to have at least a reversing noise because the whole reversing-out-of-a-busy-carpark scenario is just when risk is highest (visibility poor, lots of pedestrian traffic not paying attention, very hard to tell the car's about to move etc etc). I find it hard to argue with the logic of the decision to be honest.

(for my car I resort to making sure the stereo is set obnoxiously loud and the windows are down instead :rolleyes:)

3. Andrew_SE23

Andrew_SE23 Member

Sound generators currently do not have to be retrofitted to existing electric vehicles; however, this has been mooted as potential future legislation. I think this is likely.

In view of this, I’d rather have a car that came with a sound generator as standard than have to retrofit a sound generator to my car in a year or two.

4. adsheff

adsheff Member

My Leaf has a low speed noise generator. It's very inoffensive and you can hardly hear it inside the car. Outside, it sounds pretty quiet. I wouldn't worry about it. It genuinely helps when driving around car parks, as people are frequently unaware of your presence.

• Like x 1