Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*Beeping* Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen reports that, in order to comply with late night quiet time legislation, there should be a "disable" button for the noise. Which might be to your tastes.

As has been pointed out in lots of places, it's sensible to have at least a reversing noise because the whole reversing-out-of-a-busy-carpark scenario is just when risk is highest (visibility poor, lots of pedestrian traffic not paying attention, very hard to tell the car's about to move etc etc). I find it hard to argue with the logic of the decision to be honest.

(for my car I resort to making sure the stereo is set obnoxiously loud and the windows are down instead :rolleyes:)

Looks like our yet to be delivered M3s may now come with added low speed sounds.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/10/tesla-pedestrian-warning-system-model-3/

I see why it would help pedestrians, but I honestly don’t want it

Sound generators currently do not have to be retrofitted to existing electric vehicles; however, this has been mooted as potential future legislation. I think this is likely.

In view of this, I’d rather have a car that came with a sound generator as standard than have to retrofit a sound generator to my car in a year or two.

Good luck to you if you have an accident and your insurance is void due to you turning off a safety feature all because of something you can't hear from inside the car.
Thankfully my car has long since been delivered, so it isn't a problem for me. But it's an incredibly minor risk I'd be happy to take, just as I choose to take the same minor risk of doing 75mph on the motorway.

The benefit of, course being that I don't sound like I'm in a pretendy spaceship when reversing. If the noise was less horrendous it's possibly something I could live with. But certainly not in its current guise.

If the warning system can be turned off by API, I'll gladly lend my services and build something that keeps enforcing it off. I think it sounds utterly dreadful.
I agree, it sounds God awful.

Sadly as it’s a safety system I very much doubt it will be possible to disable it in any way via software.

What happens with all the existing silent EV cars for the next N years, or near silent ICE cars (at those speeds) that are actually quieter than this, or people not paying attention anyway sound or not because they’re glued to their phones? Guess that’s not a problem.