Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before and after wheel alignment, car still pulls to the right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a local tire shop do a wheel alignment on my Model S since it pulls way too much to the left, and they got it mostly done right except now it pulls to the right when I let go of the steering wheel or keep it exactly straight.

I decided to replace all of my tires to the PS4S and get an alignment at Tesla directly, paid top dollar, all wheels balanced as well, and it is still the same issue. I let them know the issue is still there but not sure what to make of it. I have a feeling they will just tell me to live with it.

P.S. Speaking of tires, I asked for the PS4S, and even got it in writing on an estimate and invoice, but they installed the PS4 instead. LOL. Now watch them say since I drove the car home, they won't take the PS4 back.

1D788873-9761-4632-A812-0789546CC448.jpeg

Had similar issue where steering wheel was veering towards right (car was delivered like this upon pickup when i got it about a month ago) after waiting about 3 weeks for a service appt, they did a laptop alignment to fix the angle and supposedly was good after that.

Upon driving the car, found out that if I centered the steering wheel the car started pulling left, was told by service center to wait for the car to recalibrate itself to correct that, after 4 days of driving, just went back to service center, went on a drive with one of their mechanic who confirmed issue, kept the car and got it fixed this time, below is what they posted on invoice, btw I got a MYP.

Good luck with service center, the one I go to in NJ Paramus is very helpful.

Concern: Customer states Vehicle steering is off check if alignment or steering wheel adjustment needed and advise
Diagnosed and . Verified Proper Operation.
Correction: Four Wheel Alignment (Adjust Toe)

• Helpful
Reactions: besnova
Had similar issue where steering wheel was veering towards right (car was delivered like this upon pickup when i got it about a month ago) after waiting about 3 weeks for a service appt, they did a laptop alignment to fix the angle and supposedly was good after that.

Upon driving the car, found out that if I centered the steering wheel the car started pulling left, was told by service center to wait for the car to recalibrate itself to correct that, after 4 days of driving, just went back to service center, went on a drive with one of their mechanic who confirmed issue, kept the car and got it fixed this time, below is what they posted on invoice, btw I got a MYP.

Good luck with service center, the one I go to in NJ Paramus is very helpful.

Concern: Customer states Vehicle steering is off check if alignment or steering wheel adjustment needed and advise
Diagnosed and . Verified Proper Operation.
Correction: Four Wheel Alignment (Adjust Toe)
Thanks a lot, I feel like it is something like that (the toe). I wonder if the car is aligned to spec, but now they have to change it a bit to "compensate" for the pull. But being in spec works if the car is perfect, so I think with 40K miles after 4 years the alignment should be setup for the car to go straight and handle well not to spec because no car is perfect, even after it comes out the factory!

Wish I can go to Paramus, I'm stuck with these guys for now. They installed Pilot Sport 4 instead of 4 S. Now I gotta take PTO and personal time out my day to fix their mistake. They should pay for that time or come pick up the car.

The specified range for acceptable toe values is pretty wide. And if it's not bang-on identical side to side, you're gonna drift. Tesla service centers do some of the worst alignments I've ever experienced, at the highest cost.

OP, are you saying that your steering wheel is perfectly straight on its own (without you holding it in place), and when the steering wheel is straight the car drifts to the right?

The specified range for acceptable toe values is pretty wide. And if it's not bang-on identical side to side, you're gonna drift. Tesla service centers do some of the worst alignments I've ever experienced, at the highest cost.

OP, are you saying that your steering wheel is perfectly straight on its own (without you holding it in place), and when the steering wheel is straight the car drifts to the right?
Yes. They fixed it. Apparently, because I had my wheel configuration set to 21-in, the air suspension/alignment wasn’t perfect. They changed it to 19-in and it worked out. Had to do something with the air suspension and ride height with 19/21-in wheels. Thought it was just cosmetic. Could also just be an excuse and they just did it correctly the second time around. They did have the car almost all day.

old thread, but I have the same issue. Car got delivered on day 1, drifting right. they SUPPOSEDLY did an alignment, but it still does it. Wish me luck as I just scheduled another appointment. I hate tesla service, they're more concerned about getting rid of you than actually fixing the car.

old thread, but I have the same issue. Car got delivered on day 1, drifting right. they SUPPOSEDLY did an alignment, but it still does it. Wish me luck as I just scheduled another appointment. I hate tesla service, they're more concerned about getting rid of you than actually fixing the car.

Cancel your appointment and take it to an independent alignment shop. Tesla themselves are not goid at performance alignments. They sometimes don’t even hand it back to you with everything aligned to their own specs.

suggestions for who do it well? I have firestone near me.

If you're going to firestone, I'd suggest giving them the spec you want the car to be set to, and tell them "do this." Otherwise, they'll do the same as Tesla....just get things into the green range and leave it.

What you really want is things to be identical side-to-side with zero thrust angle. I'm not sure where you are geographically to recommend shops. But generally, places that do race alignments and coilover adjustments can do it well. You really just want a shop that's going to actually spend the time to be accurate, not just get as many cars on and off the rack as possible in a day.

Reactions: besnova