Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before buying! Help :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

just joined as I'm looking at leasing a Tesla Model 3 Performance through the business as it's so tax efficient, have a couple of questions so hopefully someone can help?

1. Is it worth buying the Self Driving pack that's costing £6,800 extra? the car wont be mine after the lease expires (4 Years)
I'm just worried that tesla may release some cool features over the next few years and I wont be able to get the updates
Also been reading about the new EU rules and the limitations put on full self driving capability

2. What is the best home charger to get?
I've seen timed charged scheduling and good apps that show a lot of stats. Also want a charger that looks somewhat stylish as it will be on the front of the house.

3. Should I switch energy supplier?
I pay fixed price per unit for electricity (no off peak)
Currently paying £0.127250 per unit of electricity

4. Supercharger/Motorway Chargers
I don't do many motorway journeys, but how does this work? Can i just use the supercharger when i arrive and it ill be ready for me? I have seen it will just charge the card on the tesla account? Do I need to pay for other companies chargers? e.g. Podpoint/chargemaster etc? I just dont want to run out of charge!

5. Is the android app as good as the iphone app? I currently have an android

6. Is it easy to switch phones? I understand that the phone acts as your car key

7. Is there window tints on the Model 3 Performance?

8. Is there a included dashcam on the Model 3? Do i need a seperate memory card?

9. Does the Tesla include wireless phone charging or does the mobile have to be connected via a cable?

Apologies for all the newbie questions, I've tried to find answers but get conflicting threads!
I'm hoping to put the deposit down at the end of the week, I won't be going through tesla as they dont do business leases so it's through a 3rd party but i have been given a estimated delivery date of september.
I do have a tes drive booked in for next weekend so excited for that!

Thanks in advance,

1) I think it's worth having the full Tesla experience, not a castrated one. It's what I got it for. The base AP is mostly just a lane-keeper. Local regulations can get in the way of full benefit. There are nests of naysayers here, but a lot of us in the US are happily riding on the freeways (motorway mazes) in NOA every day. Like this one I hate navigating through in manual - the car does it better.

Maze 2020-01-02 at 01.29.07s.jpg

Currently (only) on motorways, after you get comfortable with it (don't back off, it takes a while), you speak the destination and sit back, let it drive, with an eye on the road and a hand on the wheel for assurance. The tasks you can delegate keep increasing with Over The Air updates. We're currently at the point of seeing more street (non-motorway) level capabilities being added, like stopping for red lights and stop signs. So even on narrow UK roads and without our heavy motorway usage, I wouldn't miss the next four years for the world!

2) If you have 220v service, all you really need is a fat extension cord and the right plug. I even do that on 120 volts, slow as it is. The car itself can schedule. Of course you can buy more elegant "stations", but I think there's a certain je ne sais quoi to a plain yellow cord running up to the car.

4) You use the Superchargers at will and it bills to your credit card on file. Other charge providers have their own systems. You'll need to research that. If you can charge at home, you won't likely be running out of charge.

5) I have an old 5.0 Android, and it has some deficits, but my wife's is newer and it's great. No material difference from the iPhone one.

6) Very easy to add or remove phones. There are key cards, but everybody uses their phones. And you can e.g. check on charging, have the car come to you in parking lots (I was relieved to have that a few days ago) or set cabin temp before going out to the car.

8) Built-in dashcam with 5 cameras recording during drives or at will, with playback on-screen. Yes, you plug in a USB memory stick, e.g. 128GB, or a USB SSD. Sentry Mode reacts to people prowling near the car, warns them and records it.

Welcome to the Experience. You'll love it.

Last edited:
I would not pay for full self driving package on a lease. However, this is all opinion.

Very minimal features exist on the full self driving package today, therefore, you would be gambling that Tesla would bring be delivering it soon. And based on historical evidence, Tesla is never on-time and have blown past every Full self driving milestone with no indication of when they will actually implement it.

I purchased my vehicle and also purchased full self driving. My estimation is that I am still years away from getting the value from that full self driving purchase.

1) Personally I think no, it is cool and all but if you are keeping the car a realistic amount of time you are better off putting that money in investments and paying the FSD price in the future if they manage to come out with something legal to use. If you are keeping your car the standard 3 years I doubt you would get much use out of it at all.

Right now I would rather put the FSD money into switching after 2 years instead of 3 since so much is always changing with Tesla, a 2020 Model 3 is already a lot better than a 2018 (or even a 2019).

2) Whatever you like, the Tesla WC is nice. I would say getting a dedicated charger is a must though and not rely on a outlet.

3) That all depends on your other usage and what plans you can get.

4. Superchargers are just plug in and they charge your linked credit card, the others usually require some card/tag or a phone app.

5. Haven't tested.

6. Yes, you control it from the screen.

9. These days I think they have built in wireless charging, I bought a third party one made for the Model 3 for like €100 since it wasn't standard when I got mine.

... nests.

@1.21GW Unless you're comparing to 2018 EAP, which included
full NOA, and Enhanced Summon, and Self-parking (an option
package that's no longer available), I can't fathom calling this
adding "very minimal features".

That's my typical driving experience. Very happy to let it
handle the chores. Not minimal at all. What's allowed in
what Euro jurisdiction, and when, I don't know. But in the
4 years of the OP's lease, there's going to be some very
interesting development.

Last edited:
Thank you all guys, really helpful,

1. I think I will not go for this option, just because I'm unsure of when it will be properly all released in the uK based on the legislation etc with europe
It's costing me an extra £106.91 per month which I dont think will be worth it.
Happy to have UK Model 3 owners give their input?

Just waiting on some answers below from UK Model 3 Tesla Owners,

I've seen timed charged scheduling and good apps that show a lot of stats. Also want a charger that looks somewhat stylish as it will be on the front of the house.

8. Is there a included dashcam on the Model 3? Do i need a seperate memory card?

FSD, I probably wouldn't buy if I was leasing a car, currently it's not transferable
If you do a lot of motorway driving NoA is great along with automatic lane changing
Smart summon is a bit of a gimmick, usually doesn't work when you're trying to show it off
Auto park, haven't used it since I've had my car.

HPWC and leave the UMC in the boot
I would also advise on getting some adapters for the UMC
Along with type 2 male/female cable and J-1772 adapter for chargers that require BYO cable
Plug share app to find AC and CCS chargers

Superchargers if you use the navigation system the car will work out where you need to charge on the way
and how long to charge to get from A to B. it will also show how many superchargers are available
Supercharging is charged to the CC you have associated with your Tesla account.
Supercharging is probability easier than filling and car with petrol, you drive in and plug in
that's it. Depending on how much charge you need watch Netflix while you wait or get some lunch
Monitor your charging from the Tesla app. Don't overstay there is an idol fee to discourage taking up a supercharger spot someone might need.

Can't advise on energy providers, I don't live in the UK
you'll probably get better advice in The UK and Ireland

Yes phone can act as car key. Android Tesla app is fine not sure how it would be on older phone
no difference between android and ios versions
You can register several phones with the car

Windows are slightly tinted on all M3's, roof glass is darker and has UV block

M3 has built in dashcam and sentry mode, requires USB drive
Records front, two side and rear camera. It uses the cameras used for FSD
Some still prefer installing dashcam for wider FOV and better fidelity
The FSD camera colours are not true to life they have reduced colour
Check out the loads of youtube sentry mode videos to get an idea of the video
it's perfectly adequate imo.

New M3's now include wireless phone charger and USBC ports
like the model Y

8 - Yes, Teslacam feature is included if you provide and connect a USB key or SSD (takes one of two USB slots used for phone charging, unless you get a splitter like VXDAS). The latest software even formats and configures the key for you. Data store is required to view Sentry recordings and other ad hoc recordings, like "Save on honk".

After what @Sphinxhunter said, that the "FSD" option would cost him 100 quid a month, I thought about that and asked myself how much I'd honestly be willing to pay for NOA in its present state in the US, and for being on-board the next gradual steps towards greater autonomy.

I guess we know each others' view on the status and rate of progress of the AP project. We're a bit lucky, in this rare instance, in having a US government with a hands-off approach to just about everything, and I hope European regulators will take at least move towards a middle ground.

It's obviously something that hasn't been done before. Tesla is developing it first, and it's an exciting moment for admirers of useful technology. But the utility and defensive features for me are very significant in its current state. If I were younger, with better reflexes, more aggressive at stoplights, more hooked on the wheel, more attracted to G forces and the skids and the smell of burning rubber, maybe I'd see it differently. No, strike that about the stoplights. Oh and the G-forces are cool too, steering into that hairpin. But not all the time!

But anyway, my estimation is that I'd pay even as much as 1/3 the base price of the vehicle for current benefits, and for being on that board the Tesla AI adventure.

They probably invaded my brain in my sleep and priced the automation more like 1/5 the base price of the car to leave room for "growth". Yeah, sorry, it costs money to do such projects. Like those astronauts still up in the Space Station.

1. I think I will not go for this option, just because I'm unsure of when it will be properly all released in the uK based on the legislation etc with europe
It's costing me an extra £106.91 per month which I dont think will be worth it.
Happy to have UK Model 3 owners give their input?

7) There are window tint options, depending on your choice, you can get it done.
8) There is an included dashcam feature, but you have to buy your own USB.
Tesla recommends - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Welcome to the Tesla family, you will surely enjoy the car. Let me know if you have any more questions.
If you haven't already used a referral, please help me by using mine - Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $250 Cash Award

1. Is it worth buying the Self Driving pack that's costing £6,800 extra? the car wont be mine after the lease expires (4 Years)
I'm just worried that tesla may release some cool features over the next few years and I wont be able to get the updates
Also been reading about the new EU rules and the limitations put on full self driving capability

4. Supercharger/Motorway Chargers
I don't do many motorway journeys, but how does this work? Can i just use the supercharger when i arrive and it ill be ready for me? I have seen it will just charge the card on the tesla account? Do I need to pay for other companies chargers? e.g. Podpoint/chargemaster etc? I just dont want to run out of charge!

5. Is the android app as good as the iphone app? I currently have an android

6. Is it easy to switch phones? I understand that the phone acts as your car key

9. Does the Tesla include wireless phone charging or does the mobile have to be connected via a cable?

1. I would not spend the $7/8K for FSD when initially leasing the car. You will get basic AP without FSD and right now the only other feature you will not get is auto-lane change and auto stop at stop lights/signs. There are other features like auto park, park assist and remote summon that you will not get either, but I find that these options are rarely available when you want them and would not recommend using Smart Summon in a parking lot with cars or people. As newer features are added in the 4 years you lease the car then you could consider adding it at that time, if it was worth the $7/8K price tag.

2. Best home charger and most stylish is the Tesla wall charger. Mine cost $1K to buy and install, which I did prior to purchasing my car.

3. If your next vehicle is going to be EV then it might be worth while to find a provider with off-peak charging hours. I find that with a standard days worth of driving I only need 1hr or less of charging to get it back to my top off value. On days where I drive a lot, maybe 2hrs of charging time. So over the course of 4 yrs and charging 1.5 hrs a day on average, you're not going to save a major amount of money by having off peak hours. However, if EVs are your future, Tesla or otherwise, then it would make sense to change you provider now, so that you maximize your savings over the long haul.

4. Most efficient charging method for a Tesla is the Tesla Superchargers. Once you have your Tesla account linked to your Tesla app, with a payment method setup, then all your supercharging will be billed to you account. You can, of course, buy adapters for other types of chargers, but I have no input on that. Since I charge at home and don't do a lot of long range driving, I really have not use for that. My home charger has been more than enough and the supercharger has only been needed once.

5. I only have Android so can't comment on Android vs Apple. I would imagine both are fairly similar.

6. So any phone that is used as a key has to have the Tesla app and be logged in with proper credentials. I think you can have up to 15, if I recall correctly (I'm pretty sure the owner's manual specifies how many you can have). However, not all phones have to be setup as keys. You can bluetooth connect any phone for music and phone connectivity without it being setup as a key. It's very easy to switch phones and setup new phones as needed.

7. Window tint is not included from the factory.

8. Dashcam, aka Teslacam, is included with the car, however you have to connect a USB thumb drive or SSD to one of the front USB ports to activate it. Latest FW will format the drive for you from the touch screen and it should be good to go from there. It would be helpful to read the Owner's Guide to understand all the ins and outs of how it works.

9. I believe brand new models are now coming with wireless charging pads, but if I am wrong they are very cheap to get from Amazon. I have the TAPTES one and it works perfectly.

Before leasing or purchasing watch as many Tesla Model 3 videos as you can on YouTube and also read through the Owner's manual. Here is the OM for EU: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_gb.pdf

Good luck and welcome to the family! If this is your first EV, it's a real life changer!