Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before buying your Tesla, did you ever Test Drive one?

Before buying your Tesla, did you ever Test Drive one?

• Yes, I test drove the exact model

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Yes, but it was a different model (LR vs SR, S vs X etc)

Votes: 49 21.7%
  • No, but I had sat in one in the show room

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • No, but I had been in someone elses Tesla which made me decide to buy

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • No, but I had been in a different manufacturers EV which made me decide to buy

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • No, but I have had a good look at one from the outside

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • No, but decided to buy from the reviews etc

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • I didn't have a clue what I was buying

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being an early purchaser, we only got the chance to sit in one in the show room - a LHD at the Park Royal preview event in 2018, but it was all rather rushed.

After ordering, we made several more visits to check the car in the show room - deposits were all fully refundable so no financial risk. We didn't get to drive one until we drove our out of the collection warehouse - but did have the benefit that if we didn't like it we had 1000 miles/7 days(?) in which to return. But by then, our trade in had long gone. So not quite risk free.

I had used Abetterrouteplanner.com at most cautionary of settings to check viability of all our routes, stayaways and potential emergency dashes. Didn't fully take sentry into consideration though which means a bit more frequent top-ups on our stayaways, but thankfully charge network has dramatically expanded since then so just a minor thing now.

All in all, for early adopters it was a bit of a leap of faith, but Tesla helped in those days by offering refunds if it didn't work out. Some already had a 3 year large financial (fully refundable but still £2k) and emotional commitment in the car by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrGrPa and Avendit
Not sure if "exact model" means Model 3 LR v Model 3 Performance or Model 3 v Model S, I took it as exact spec. For my first I drove a Model S P85D but the variant was different when I got it 90D. The second it happened to be the same variant/spec

I think its wise to at least sit in one if not test drive, a lot think the seats are great, but I've seen a few people not like them, I personally find there's a lack of under thigh support on the M3 but for less than an hours drive its ok. the artifical leather is not to everyones taste and somebody was complaining about the headrest not bein adjustable in the owners group only yesterday. The dash being off set could be an issue too. I imagine most people just adjust but the change from a traditional ICE is so big in a number of ways it pays to try before you buy. @NorfolkMustard went the whole way and I think there's a lot to be said for that.

The opportunity was there to do a test drive so I went for it. I could see from the figures that it was good but I just wanted to experience driving an EV, hear what the media system was like and check out the air-con, cruise etc.
Ordered it straight after the drive. Guy in the showroom was really good to (Edward at Gatwick) with no pressure at all to buy and just a sense that he wanted to make sure he answered all of my questions and even showed me a car out back in white just so I could be sure to make the right colour choice.

Coming from buying three BMW's in a row from a really good down to earth dealer the Tesla experiance has also been good. Its refreshing to pick a car that has all the options already on it rather than weaving through an options list trying to pick a set that gives you everything you want without pushing the cost too hard!

Reactions: PrGrPa and yfwt
Definitely test drove - hats off to those who didn’t as I couldn’t bear with such commitment to not even try before you buy. Even went to showroom / sales centre to see a LHD one the RHD and RHD MiC before taking the plunge! To be fair, the car sells by itself but I still wanted to sit in it and drive it before “pulling the trigger” so to speak. Had mine M3LR for a week now and sometimes still can’t believe it’s mine - too awesome! 😂🤩

I ordered just based on a couple of visits to sit in one and the very many reviews that had been published by then. It was only £100 deposit so not a big risk. I then got to test drive a performance model a couple of weeks before delivery. If it had been terrible, I would have cancelled. It wasn’t terrible; it was amazing. Getting back into the M4 to drive home confirmed I’d made the right decision. 15 months on and I don’t regret the move to EV one bit :)

I briefly parked up the M4 next to one just liked I’d ordered for comparison.
80AF0AAD-26DE-4D3A-BAAA-63A565616AB4.jpeg

Reactions: Jez_GB and yfwt
I was on the verge of doing a ‘dealership day’ to replace my Ioniq. We’d looked at a few cars but were unimpressed.
Spotted thatTesla we’re doing a test drive day at Dunston Hall Hotel just outside Norwich so booked a slot.
It was tipping it down all day. Mrs Lead Foot was well impressed, I confess I was less so but it was very sure footed in the wet and of course made good use of the head restraints.
We pondered over it for several days before pressing the buy button. To be honest, we spent a lot more time deliberating which new vacuum cleaner to buy!

Did a test drive albeit some time before I took the plunge...

Back in 2019 I was at the Silverstone Classic race meeting and Tesla had a stand there, offering accompanied test drives.

As a confirmed petrol head I signed up so that I could slag Tesla off and say how bad BEVs are from a point of knowledge, not some third hand say so.

But WOW what a test drive! I was completely won over and instantly became a BEV fan and admirer of Tesla. Sadly though I’d just changed my daily driver in April 2019 so a change had to wait.

The day the numbers made a change viable I was signing up on line, and am so glad to at last be in the car that made such a difference to my outlook.

in the intervening year we actually changed SWMBOs car (Fiat 124 Convertible- MX 5 in a party frock) for A Zoe ZE50 as it was the quickest and easiest way to get into BEV ownership.

Reactions: Adopado and PrGrPa
I wasn't even thinking of buying a new car let alone a Tesla. In my head I was about 5 years from changing cars, and my criteria for another was new and electric. My A3 developed a gearbox issue, which long story short was the straw that broke the camel's back with that thing.

I had to sell it quick, and did so before I knew what would replace it. I wasn't so concerned about not having a car because of COVID, so was happy to not have one for a little while, and the in-laws had a barely used W210 if push came to shove.

So as soon as I sold my A3 and counted the pennies, I started looking around with my criteria firm in my mind. I initially didn't consider Tesla because I thought I'd get better value elsewhere. But all roads led to Tesla, so I booked a test drive at Westfield London. That was the only test drive I needed to convince me; I ordered as soon as I got home and picked it up exactly a month after ordering.

I did something I always said I would never do - buy a car without seeing it in the flesh, I did watch a hi res video on the retailers website.
Every single car I have ever bought before was looked over, inside, under the bonnet, test drove and negotiated a deal.

Always liked high performance though hated the fact an ICE let everybody know you were playing or giving it the beans, My RS would pop and bang and draw attention - hated that aspect. Loved big engines and V8s were super as was the 911 but the VED was extortionate and I've never had a thing for older cars, don't look back at any with rose tinted glasses - so the Ideal car was not out there.

Then Tesla came on the scene - looked for years at the MS but the price!!!! and when that reached "the affordable" I didn't want it because of age/ mileage, older technology, couldn't know how the battery had been treated - so the perceived negatives dissuaded me - plus the MS wouldn't fit into my garage and I have always garaged my cars overnight. (Apart from the Jaguar XF, far too big and was left on the driveway - hated that)

The M3 came and I read all the reviews, watched the Videos online and that was it - that was going to be my next car. The announcement of the end of ICE sales in 2030 just pushed me along - no point in ever considering another ICE because what i liked was expensive and depreciation would be monumental as we get closer to the 2030 date - so throwing money away. The M3 would just squeeze into my garage though i did have to modify my workbench and cupboards to allow one to fit

I bought the M3P without ever seeing the actual car in the flesh, I had never test drove one or even sat in one but somehow I knew this was my car and so far so good. I think it looks super, rides well, delivers everything i hoped for, no faults and not needed to use a service centre yet and unless I have a major fault i will repair myself as i have a big distrust of mechanics/Garages anyway.

I would never dream of buying a car without trying it first if only to see if I fit in it. I was keen on the idea of a Tesla and had read the mnaual several times, watched dozens of videos and admit I gave too much credence to the hype and US driver claims on how good it all was.
I drove OH to B'ham to go see a Tesla. 3 wasn't out for at least a year so S or X. had even more elbow room but S was comfy enough and I preferred the shape.
The drive to the showroom was a traffic nightmare so no way was OH ever going back. I asked for a Test-drive and they claimed to be busy but when I pointed out it was now or never they squeezed us in for half an hour around town. I did my best to throw it around within safe limits in a city but no chance to play with FSD. If I'd realised how limited and bull$*sugar* it was I might just not have bought one.
As a driver's car the S is great. The salesman either didn't know or lied or assumed when i asked about the connectivity - essentially told me it lasted for the 4yr warranty and I could then put my own sim in. Yeah I should have checked or got it in writing.
I did order an inventory ex showroom one on the spot subject to them delivering it to avoid repeating the b'ham trip. 90% happy with my decision although any car that expensive takes a big hit in depreciation... not helped by OH then demanding she has a new car too...

Had been considering a replacement for my daily commuter MX5 after 5 years and 80,000 miles and almost bought a Hyundai i30n but a bit too shouty and uncomfortable seating. Only considered an electric as there had been a lot in the press here in Denmark about extension of the exemption from registration taxes for electric cars. After realising that they weren't as expensive as I thought and the savings in petrol and maintenance made it ecocnomically viable even without the man maths ;) a test drive of a Model 3 LR with my teenage son had us both hooked, - me much to my surprise as I'm a long-time petrolhead. Previous back and knee problems in certain cars meant I wanted to try once more before committing (and is also the reason why I would never buy a car without testing) and was lucky to get a back to back drive of a LR and Performance which led to picking up a new M3P 8 weeks ago:)

No test drive before.
My dream was one day to buy a Tesla.
I tried on 2019 but the plans hasn't going how I want... so trade in my 18 plate civic type R for a Nissan Leaf 40kwh with the plan for next year to trade in the Nissan for Tesla.
After 8 months, for my birthday, I decided to place the order. Was the best gift!
From middle January to 4 March seem the time was stopped and sometimes go back, especially when I discovered the hidden VIN.
I hate to wait, but now everything is past.

Reactions: yfwt
Although I sat in one in the showroom, I had never even driven an EV when I went to collect my M3P.

I drove it 10 metres before a warning came on and Tesla decided to keep the car to fix it. They lent me a MS P100D - that's some experience for your first electric car drive...!

Reactions: yfwt
I'd never sat in any kind of Tesla and had even seen a model 3 when I ordered mine, Though to be fair there were only a handful in the country in July 19. There was no competition either so nothing to compare it to if I did drive it.

I did my presales from the now-closed Birmingham shopping centre site. The staff in there were really good and chilled. I had to be a really good boy because when I turned up for the test drive they had a LR and a P availble. I decided to take the LR out as I didn't want the experience of driving a P to ruin it for me, knowing I couldn't really afford it.

The test drive was very good. They'd programmed a route but told me I was welcome to go off piste and be back in about an hour.