Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before buying your Tesla, did you ever Test Drive one?

Before buying your Tesla, did you ever Test Drive one?

• Yes, I test drove the exact model

Votes: 68 30.1%
  • Yes, but it was a different model (LR vs SR, S vs X etc)

Votes: 49 21.7%
  • No, but I had sat in one in the show room

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • No, but I had been in someone elses Tesla which made me decide to buy

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • No, but I had been in a different manufacturers EV which made me decide to buy

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • No, but I have had a good look at one from the outside

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • No, but decided to buy from the reviews etc

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • I didn't have a clue what I was buying

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved ‘off plan’ before the 3 was ever produced or we knew how much it would cost. I didn’t test drive because I wanted the option to return after 7 days. Risky decision at the time but I’ve never looked back. After 3? years of talking about it to my colleagues they must have been happy when it finally arrived!

I have a friend who got an early model S in 2016 and he was very pleased with it.
I've had a ride in it, but not driven it, and quite liked it.
Some 4 years later looking to replace my Volvo V70 with one of these battery cars and having retired with a lump sum put aside for potential purchase of any new car I liked the look and lower cost (from an S) of the Model 3 so placed an order for one in April 2020.
Wondering if I might have made a mistake I requested and got a test drive in June 2020 - the drive was more a case of "any showstoppers" rather than "confirming the choice". The test drive wasn't long enough but did not sway my purchase decision.
Collected in September 2020 and apart from a few odd warning messages needing Service Centre fixing it's a keeper.

Had wanted one since the first pictures from the US. Ordered as soon as the tow package was available after a very uncomfortable week or 2 trying to decide if a tow ball on the Suzuki was viable.

Nipped into the Edinburgh show room when they toured a LHD one to check some bits n bobs and approved the bits that are harder to judge online like boot etc. Took the family back next time one was available for them to see.

Not regretted it for a moment, and I've got boats to tow and camping holidays to go on this year.

I'm genuinely stunned by people who bought something as significant as a car without a test drive. If I'm going to spend that much money, on something I will sometimes use for hours on end I would be very circumspect and do a full amount of research into it. I once drove a focus hire car and couldn't get a comfortable seat position. I liked everything else about the car but I would never have known about the seat position without driving.

That being said I was "conned" in my test drive. I ask the Chiswick showroom for an LR because that was the one I wanted. I was given a P. A couple of presses of the Jiggawatt pedal an I was hooked with the power. So that's what I ended up with!

I'm genuinely stunned by people who bought something as significant as a car without a test drive. If I'm going to spend that much money, on something I will sometimes use for hours on end I would be very circumspect and do a full amount of research into it. I once drove a focus hire car and couldn't get a comfortable seat position. I liked everything else about the car but I would never have known about the seat position without driving.

That being said I was "conned" in my test drive. I ask the Chiswick showroom for an LR because that was the one I wanted. I was given a P. A couple of presses of the Jiggawatt pedal an I was hooked with the power. So that's what I ended up with!
Not sure I'd do the same now to be fair, test drives are available and there are plenty kicking around to cadge a shot in. But back then, the first viable EV, looked beautiful, super powerful, 4wd and able to tow? Green and ticks all my boxes? Would have had to be genuinely built from lego for me to say no. And that's coming from a previous car that was only 1/2 the value.

I also got conned by the service folk when I called to harass them about where my car was, and the 'found' me a p- with tow rather than the LR I'd booked. Happy accident :)

Had a test drive in a Model S back in 2016. Was super impressed but could not bring myself to spend so much money, leased a Renault Zoe instead. After the Zoe I wanted a ‘real’ car and bought a M2 (didn’t actually test drive that either).
Now, back to EV and sold the M2 and are awaiting a Model 3. Did test drive one, but pretty much knew I wanted it, ever since the Model S back in 2016.

I was driving a BMW M3, but doing far fewer miles so an ICE was less appropriate. Arranged a 45min test drive of a standard range at Southampton and was very impressed. I then sold the BMW M3, Tesla offered £3k off the M3P, so I ordered a red one.

Both the BMW M3 and Tesla M3P are fantastic cars in different ways; the Tesla suits my lifestyle better and I have no regrets.

Chose that I drove the exact model, which was a LR, but it was previous to the 2021 refresh.

Was quite impressed when I got back and said my biggest issue with the car was the centre console and he immediately showed me the new style one that mine would be coming with.

I had driven other Tesla models except the 3 before ordering (S85D, S90D, X75D) because my Daughter in the USA and her a number of her friends own Teslas.

I put down a reservation on launch day in 2016 but cancelled later when I took early retirement & needed a car.

Early 2017, the Tesla showroom in Knutsford arranged a test drive in a Model S with a software option to replicate the power curve of a Model 3 dual motor & that was enough to decide that I would still re-order in the future.

The family's first Model X coincided with the day we arrived for a 4 week visit & two days later there was a sensor failure on one of the gull wing doors. A Tesla Ranger loaned an S90D & returned the X two days later but said we could 'keep' the loaner as well for the duration of our holiday as an apology so that's what I drove around in. Between then and ordering the Model 3 early 2020, the US family had changed to an X100D with FSD which gave me plenty of opportunities to try out that option too.

I finally got to test drive a Model 3LR in March 2020 because we were again at my Daughters and her friend let me drive it but this was after I'd already ordered in the UK (I'd also had a Model Y test drive arranged with her Service Centre three weeks later but we then had to cut short & to fly back for the first UK lockdown).

I had an AMG C63 estate, wonderful and terrible in equal measure: I'm glad I had the experience, but equally glad it has gone.
After a drive in a friends M3 ER I was impressed, so organised a test drive from Tesla Winchester. HO came along and drove it as well.
We went back and ordered a car, it arrived 2 weeks later.

Now, 3 weeks on and a couple of longer drives behind us I'm captivated. But it was the test drives that convinced me.

Went to the local Service Centre (Chertsey) - staff were friendly and let me wander around the lot - only two or three Model 3s there - but enough for me to size up the back was big enough for a couple of child/baby seats through the windows.

The rest is history - and the car easily met expectations.

If you’re considering buying - I’d recommend driving to a Supercharger location and asking a couple of owners if they don’t mind you looking as a prospective buyer.

Meh. I always reckoned I could flog it if I hated it. Residuals are so strong it would have likely only cost a grand or so to own it for a couple of weeks.

Test drives are never adequate opportunities to know how I’m going to feel long term. Better to take the plunge and either adapt to any compromises or call it a day after getting to know it fully.

Definitely wanted to test drive before spending any money on a car, especially that much! As soon as I could get in after the Covid restrictions I ended up test driving a Model 3 LR in the morning (black with black interior just 18" rims not the 19"), then a Polestar 2 in the afternoon - went straight back to Brent Cross after and ordered the Model 3 :) The Tesla was so much fun and mine hasn't disappointed since I picked it up.

Reactions: yfwt
Definitely wanted to test drive before spending any money on a car, especially that much! As soon as I could get in after the Covid restrictions I ended up test driving a Model 3 LR in the morning (black with black interior just 18" rims not the 19"), then a Polestar 2 in the afternoon - went straight back to Brent Cross after and ordered the Model 3 :) The Tesla was so much fun and mine hasn't disappointed since I picked it up.
Interesting to hear that you did them back to back and chose the Tesla. Glad obviously! Was it close? From reviews etc I assumed the polestar gives the 3 a run for its money?

Interesting to hear that you did them back to back and chose the Tesla. Glad obviously! Was it close? From reviews etc I assumed the polestar gives the 3 a run for its money?
Not even. I went into it wanting to like the Polestar 'cos it has the "normal" instrumentation panel behind the steering wheel and the fact it's a hatchback not a saloon. However after driving the Tesla, the Polestar just felt a bit tame - couple of inches of movement on the accelerator before anything happened and even then it was a very gradual ramp in power, not the immediate kick you get with the Tesla. I also felt there was very little feedback from the steering compared to the Model 3. Finally, all the "Hey Google" stuff to operate almost everything really annoyed me.

Having spent some time in the Tesla, the saloon boot and lack of drivers instrument panel didn't bother me as much as I thought they might, so here we are and I'm now a very happy M3 LR owner of just over a week!

Meh. I always reckoned I could flog it if I hated it. Residuals are so strong it would have likely only cost a grand or so to own it for a couple of weeks.

Test drives are never adequate opportunities to know how I’m going to feel long term. Better to take the plunge and either adapt to any compromises or call it a day after getting to know it fully.
Wow. Seriously, you’re willing to waste a grand (I suspect it’ll be a lot more) on a whim.
Aside from your house you car is the most expensive thing you’ll buy. I certainly wouldn’t buy one off a computer screen.

Wow. Seriously, you’re willing to waste a grand (I suspect it’ll be a lot more) on a whim.
Aside from your house you car is the most expensive thing you’ll buy. I certainly wouldn’t buy one off a computer screen.
Depending on your requirements some of us are in a niche of a niche, and there aren't that many options so you have to take what you want. The Tesla may or may not have turned out to be an M3 competitor, but it was the only BEV even in the ball park. It is the -only- car faster than a Luke warm hatch that can tow. For that I would (and do) forgive many foibles.

For others the charging network is the thing - easily doing long trips out weighs any comparison of 9/10 for handling Vs 9.5/10. There are enough online reviews to know that it isn't fundamentally broken, so if that 0.5 isn't the crux for you, or getting a test drive then meh.

Also, slot of people hate that cross shopping thing, fighting over features and penny pinching sales goits.

I'd say try it if you can, but I wouldn't not buy without if you are too far from a showroom/someone with one.

And finally, a grand for a couple of weeks is a little more than the PCP payments if that is how you operate your finances. If you can afford a Tesla, it's probably not the end of the world. Might sting a bit, but it's not going to put you on the streets. If you are stretching your finances, then you are going to be more careful, or more sure.

I'm a use it till it falls apart kind of person, but I do see this as a reasonable way to do things.