Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
Did anyone have a "type" of car they went for, estate, SUV etc..?

My car history is small hatchback, 2 seat sports car, 2 seat roadster, "fashion" European hatchback. Two big German estates then the model 3.

Fuel wise I've gone from oil petrol, to oil burners, to electric.

I think the weirdest thing about my car history is variety in number of gears, I've had a 4 speed , 5 speed, 6 speed, 2 7 speeds, one 9 speed (NINE!) And now the single gear of the EV

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
Classics, mainly before they become unaffordable. Old Porsche 911s for instance when they were £10k-£30k and you got your money back when you sold them on. Ditto 1960s and 1970s Beemers.

Nowadays I’ve had, still have, a few Land Rover Defenders because I’m a bit of a slob and they will handle being filled with DIY and garden waste.

I like slightly odd stuff and Tesla are quirky enough, but with the bonus of supercar performance, to meet my vague and variable criteria.

I’d kind of lost interest in cars, to be honest. The impending M3 has really refired the passion and excitement I used to feel about some of my more special vehicles.

Mainly hatchbacks/estates/vans Model 3 is not my cup of tea being a saloon but the mrs likes it sot thats was she got as to sweeten the way for my Y which no doubt ill get funny looks and comments again for doing the tip run in "that" :rolleyes:o_O:confused:

My favourite was always a coupe. I really regretted having to sell my c class, until I got my Tessie.

Went through the younger years with hatchbacks (mainly VWs and the odd French 306) had to cross off the convertible (e46) to then new(s) coupes (2 Series and c class) followed by an suv (Glc) and now the Model 3.

Didn't think I'd like the additional doors in the back, but the practicality of having them outweigh my person taste. Not forgetting the kids not being able to kick my seats any more.

A couple of hatchbacks and then saloons after that, mostly because I had jobs where I would often be transporting valuable or sensitive (from a security perspective) equipment - that then just became a habit.

That said, I would probably have had a MY this time if it had launched in the UK.

Now I have visions of you kick starting the thing...Damn it bloke, you're nearly giving me a heart attack lol :D
Kick start no problem, the bonnet opened up at a low level for ease. The problem was having started it, locked the bonnet, run round to the passenger door (no drivers door!) leapt in and got a foot on the throttle, the damn thing usually spluttered and cut out.
Repeat 5 times and give up. The process improved exponentially when I got a girlfriend who did the kick starting :p

Kick start no problem, the bonnet opened up at a low level for ease. The problem was having started it, locked the bonnet, run round to the passenger door (no drivers door!) leapt in and got a foot on the throttle, the damn thing usually spluttered and cut out.
Repeat 5 times and give up. The process improved exponentially when I got a girlfriend who did the kick starting :p

Sounds like she needed more choke... and no Im not on about the girlfriend :D ....now stop putting things in my head :D:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647 and Dilly
My car history is:

Vaux Corsa (V reg)
Ford Orion (1987 E reg, went like sh!t off a stick, but drank fuel like nobodies business)
Vaux Astra (R reg)
Skoda Fabia (Y reg)
VW Scirocco (Brand new 61 plate)
VW Polo (1 week ownership)
VW Passat CC (61 plate, nice coupe family car)
Model 3 Perf

Not sure if I had a type until i hit the Passat CC. Deffo like a sleek family car with a lower rear end.

The process improved exponentially when I got a girlfriend who did the kick starting :p
Dilly, im still laughing imagining that situation. Obviously a very practical girl & she must have been keen on you.
Ive got to ask did you marry her?

Ford anglia saloon first car, bright yellow I had a real problem hiding it during my courting days.
Moris marina 1800 estate, string of vauhall viva works estates, large vauxhall saloon, cant recal the model (wedge front), then the big time begun, bmw 528 4 door, bmw 540 4 door x 2, 545, 4 door, e46 m3 for weekends, (4 wheel drive golf comute car), 330d xdrive 4 door. Just loved the beamers.

Last edited:
No car. Foot, bicycle, buses and trains.
Gasoline ICEV. Compact sedan, because in 2008 the USA didn't have relatively efficient ICEV hatchbacks, and I wasn't in a position comfortably to consider a Prius.
HEV. Compact hatchback. Because 2009. Handed down much older ICEV.
PHEV. Compact hatchback. Compact ICEV handed down.
BEV. Subcompact crossover. HEV traded.

My first car was a Morris Minor in 1965 with flag indicators. Since then I have had
Triumph Herald Coupe
Morris Minor 1000.
Morris Mini.
Then in 69 got my first company car an Austin Seven, followed by
1 Vauxhall Viva
2 Morris Marinas
1 Ford Cortina
2 Ford Sierras
I Saab Turbo
2 Rover SD
2 Rover Sterling
3 Jaguars
3 BMW 7 series
Then since retiring
! Jaguar
1 BMW M5
1 Audi A8
2 Range Rovers
1 BMW 4 gran Tourer.
1 BMW 2 PHEV
1 Mercedes GLE
1 Tesla £ P-
1 Tesla 3 SR
The best car was the Saab Turbo closely followed by all three BMW 7 series and the A8.and the M5
My current Tesla is about the 7th best car I have owned.
The worst was the Mercedes by a long way!

My first car was a three wheeler with a 249cc 4 stroke engine that kick-started under the bonnet.
Even the heater was an extra!
Every other car since has been an improvement - not surprising really :p

Was it a Bond bug? My father had 2. I think the second one had an electric starter. Broke down fairly often. My father never forgave my mother for when she towed him at over 50mph! A terrifying experience with the front wheel off the ground half the time.