Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before I place my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dreams are such wonderful occurrences!

I would 2nd Todd Lockwood's thoughts on 60 v 85. Here in VT with hills to deal with, range is lower. In the winter, if you use the heater (not seat heater but regular hot air heater), range is significantly lower. If this is strictly an around town car and you don't anticipate long trips in cold, hilly areas, 60 is probably fine, but we have had to do some careful planning at the margins of our radius given there are no superchargers in northern new england yet and even when there are, they might not be ideally located for long range round trips where you are driving a long distance but not in a direction convenient for a supercharger or that would require you go past your destination to recharge for the trip home—that extra in the 85 helps.

Dreams are such wonderful occurrences!

Yes I did go a bit over the top with my second and third point. However, my first point on rebalancing of demand for 60 still holds for me. In 2020 or so (4 years after X and 2 years after E), we will start seeing the effects inflection point of electric cars. You will find at least one gas station in 50 miles that offers supercharging. Cost of installation and maintenance of a station is fairly low and margins can be very good.

However all the future dreamscapes aside, each one has to work out their driving and charging scenarios and then make a decision. If I were in shoes of previous poster, living in New England, even i would get an 85.

No one that I've seen post or met personally has regretted their 85 purchase. The 60 just puts limitations on what you can do. I'd expect that the current ratio of mostly 85 will continue until a larger battery is available. At that time I'd expect Tesla to drop the 60 and just have 85 and whatever the larger size is.