Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before or after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many folks are getting the defogger repair done at the service center before their MS is delivered ?

Quoted from Joost de Vries:

"Regarding the windshield defroster functionality (or lack thereof), we got the 1st prototype parts last week and we have been testing them in a –30c cold weather chamber to make sure they will do the job. The good news is they do and we should have parts available late next week. I have requested my Service Managers to start reaching out to existing customers in the affected areas to schedule a service appointment to do the change. For new vehicle builds into Canada it will be a Service fix before delivery as the final production tooling will kick off only later this year. The retrofit on the defrosting is pretty straightforward. We loosen the A pillar trims left and right, lift out the dashboard top, remove the mesh screen. Insert the new directional air flow pieces, install the new mesh screen and reassembly the dashboard top and A pillar trim. It'll be less than an hour work. I am confident our customers will regard this issue as resolved once they experience the new venting system."

Unfortunately the tooling for the new ductwork will not be ready for my car's production (est. delivery march-april), so it will be a retrofit for me. Still great news !

Discussed in the Fogging thread: Fogging - Page 9 (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11704-Fogging?p=256405&viewfull=1#post256405)

Mine will come with due time, I'm sure.

I've found that the defogger works well most of the time; if I have problems keeping the windshield from fogging, I vent the roof and it helps to purge the moist air.

Yes, if they have parts available.

Would seem to be in everyone's best interest to hustle on the parts. Avoid having them pickup and redeliver my P85. Drive from Chicago to Milwaukee and back would be an easy 6 hours with a MS on a trailer. Then an hour or two to do the upgrade. That is a full day. If I was the service center, I would pay for the FedEx of the parts.

I've never had trouble with the defroster.
Twice the normal 'upper' fan being on needed some help so I used the front defrost button for a short time, but that was sufficient.
I would hope they would send the first one to people actually experiencing the problem and send the parts to preventative installs later.

They are open on Saturday? BTW, take some pics if they will allow you of the vents if you can.

Apparently, they're going to be open tomorrow (Sunday) too. The place was jammed full of new cars. It was so packed they had some in the air on hoists and others parked underneath.

The stack of vents on the workbench didn't (to my eye) look any different than the one in my car. They may have been, in retrospect, originals that had already been removed from cars.