Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before we go any further, let's say the name right!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://youtu.be/cZPb7LXM8qs

I hope the link works for you guys.
It is a documentary made by Serbian National Television.
In first 40 seconds they pronounce the word Tesla twice, that is how the serbs, croats and bosnians say it so i guess that is the correct way because it is a word taken from our language.

If there are more questions, i am a native speaker (and so is Mitrovic, i think)

Best regards.

Thanks a lot.

I have to say that I'm hearing "Tesla" [tɛslə]
as opposed to "Teshla" [tɛʃlə]

In other words, in my book this whole issue is moot.

Also, I do like the Southafrican pronounciation that Musk practises.

Thanks a lot.

I have to say that I'm hearing "Tesla" [tɛslə]
as opposed to "Teshla" [tɛʃlə]

In other words, in my book this whole issue is moot.

Also, I do like the Southafrican pronounciation that Musk practises.

I agree on both statements.
There is something classy in Musk's way of saying Tesla. Might be that he is a classy fella overall so everything he says sounds like that :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm South African.

I have no idea where Elon got that pronunciation from, but it wasn't from South Africa...

In general Elon's accent isn't truly South African anymore - its been muddled a bit over the years from living over here. (Mine has as well).

Leo DiCaprio did a great job at SA accent in Blood Diamond, don't you think? Maybe a little bit over the top? :biggrin::tongue:

Last edited:
Leo DiCaprio did a great job at SA accent in Blood Diamond, don't you think?

You're kidding of course. (I hope). Leo changed every second word slipping from one pronunciation to another. It's like he interviewed people from each language group and just picked random words from random groups.

Trevor Noah is probably the most well known person over here who has an average English-speaking South African accent.

Yes, we Brits say 'Jag-yoo-uh, which is "wrong", but so is jagwahr and jag-yoo-ahr, since it's from Portuguese from Tupi and the j in Portuguese is a zh. Pronounce it zha-'gwar, and the r depends on where the Portuguese speaker is from, which leaves a lot of potential for being a pretentious place-dropper.

Terrific.

First Sean Connery. Now Austin Powers.

Jimmy, I agree that it is rude to make fun of accents and the inability of the people of a country to pronounce certain sounds, since the person making fun is usually not able to correctly pronounce sounds that are commonly used in the language being ridiculed.

Linguists tell us that precise pronunciations do not matter, what matters is that the person you are communicating with understands the meaning of the words you are using. If they understand you, then your pronunciation is, for all practical purposes, "correct". If they don't understand you because your pronunciation is too different from what they are used to hearing, then you are "incorrect" and you are not successfully communicating.

Americans mispronounced that German car's name as "Porsh" from the early '50s, until the mid-'7s, when Porsche began to run TV commercials with the announcer saying "POR-shuh".and 99% of Americans adopted the German pronunciation. I'd just like to see Tesla fix it NOW, avoiding a correction later on!

My West Berlin-born wife's cars have been a VW Karmann Ghia, Porsche 356C, Porsche 914, all BMW 3-series after that. Two of our four kids were Bimmer drivers from the start, oldest son and I are Chevy guys. He's head mechanic for a 50-car private collection, works on Cadillacs back to 1904, Packards, a Duesenberg, etc. His toy is a '63 Chevy II 100 (cheapest Nova) gasser, 400 horsepower 388 ci SBC. Still have my high school car, a '64 Sting Ray convertible, 50 years later.

If Chevrolet advertising was print only, imagine how Americans would mispronounce Swiss race driver Louis Chevrolet's last name!

I'm thrilled that Elon Musk has chosen to honor Tesla with a series of groundbreaking electric vehicles bering his name.

Elon Musk had nothing to do with the name. The original founders of Tesla Motors, Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning, chose between if they should name the company after the scientists Nikola Tesla or Michael Faraday. Elon Musk invested in the company Tesla Motors several months after they had chosen the name Tesla. Elon could just have easily been honouring Faraday.

As to the choice of the name or pronunciation of it: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Same with Tesla - regardless of why it was chosen, who chose it, or how we say it. But it is nice to honour Nikola Tesla.

Last edited:
As someone who has spent most of his life in Missouri, I can tell you I have always called it as Mizzooree. Most people I encounter here say it that way.

Personally, I hate the way pronunciation is not more precise in the English language. It just makes the language more complicated. I also can't help but think it got this way simply because enough people started saying things wrong such that the wrong eventually got accepted as right. And that's why it's all messed up now. Kind of like how ginormous has started making it's way into dictionaries. It's not a proper word. Never was. But now enough people think it is. And so now it is, or soon will be. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

And that's why it's all messed up now. Kind of like how ginormous has started making it's way into dictionaries. It's not a proper word.

Why not? What is a "proper" word? Ginormous has a specific meaning which is why it started to be used in the 1940's. Sure, you can say enormous, or gigantic, but ginormous is bigger than both of those. What word do we have for that? Words do not usually come about unless there is a need, or new things are invented that require them. What I find unfortunate is that we have lost the use of so many words, not that we add new ones.

Personally, I hate the way pronunciation is not more precise in the English language.

What about dialects in other languages? The difference in regional speech patterns in some languages are so different that they can't even communicate with other despite the fact that it's the same language. I may have a hard time understanding Scottish people but we can still communicate.

Why not? What is a "proper" word? Ginormous has a specific meaning which is why it started to be used in the 1940's. Sure, you can say enormous, or gigantic, but ginormous is bigger than both of those. What word do we have for that? Words do not usually come about unless there is a need, or new things are invented that require them. What I find unfortunate is that we have lost the use of so many words, not that we add new ones.

Growing up, ginormous was always used jokingly, when it was the intent to sound silly or absurd. People using it seriously is something I find more than a little disturbing. I never use it anymore, because people now fail to recognize that, if I am using it, it was my intent to sound absurd. And I am certainly not about to use it seriously.