Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before we go any further, let's say the name right!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Growing up, ginormous was always used jokingly, when it was the intent to sound silly or absurd. People using it seriously is something I find more than a little disturbing.

That's a common reaction when new words arise, especially when they combine two more commonly used words to fill a void. Your kids won't find it silly or absurd. The silliness part of the word will be weeded out as generations pass. It's silly to say "google it" too, a shorter and more defined way than saying "research it on the internet" but our kids don't find anything silly about it. Then there's "Yahoo", a made-up word invented by Jonathan Swift in his book Gulliver's Travels. People looked at that word as silly and absurd too, but then it became an accepted way to refer to someone who is very rude, loud, or stupid, until more recently where it has also become a well-known company. And the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
As someone who has spent most of his life in Missouri, I can tell you I have always called it as Mizzooree. Most people I encounter here say it that way.

As someone who lived in Columbia, MO, for twenty years, it interested me that, according to polling done by the Universities there, half the people in Missouri say, "Mizzuree" and half say, "Mizzuruh". I heard it both ways.