Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before you get used to the Sentry mode it can cause dangerous situations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife left our car (Model 3) with her phone for a short visit to kiosk and she did not remember that it would cause locking of the doors of the car and also activation of the Sentry mode.

Our daughter with her four months old baby were waiting inside the car since they were soon continuing the trip. Without any warning message there started heavy metal music playback with full volume in the car (100 - 110 db) and that was naturally a big shock for our daughter and her small baby! It took about one minute before she managed to get out from the car with her baby sitting in her safety seat and that time period caused a big risk for the hearing of the small baby!

Suggestion is that there should be 1st warning message that the Sentry mode alarm has been activated and playback of the music would start only after that warning message and also in the beginning with lover volume and rise to full volume gradually.

This change would not heavily weaken the original purpose of the Sentry mode alarm but would provide clear safety for the unfortunate case we had that could easily happen also to other people before they get used to the Sentry mode.

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Suggestion is that there should be 1st warning message that the Sentry mode alarm has been activated and playback of the music would start only after that warning message and also in the beginning with lover volume and rise to full volume gradually.

No. Best option would be for Tesla to properly detect passengers and avoid these situations. The purpose of the loud music is the same as an alarm siren in this case. We wouldn't want that to slowly ramp up so it doesn't damage the thief's hearing.

My wife left our car (Model 3) with her phone for a short visit to kiosk and she did not remember that it would cause locking of the doors of the car and also activation of the Sentry mode.

Our daughter with her four months old baby were waiting inside the car since they were soon continuing the trip. Without any warning message there started heavy metal music playback with full volume in the car (100 - 110 db) and that was naturally a big shock for our daughter and her small baby! It took about one minute before she managed to get out from the car with her baby sitting in her safety seat and that time period caused a big risk for the hearing of the small baby!

This change would not heavily weaken the original purpose of the Sentry mode alarm but would provide clear safety for the unfortunate case we had that could easily happen also to other people before they get used to the Sentry mode.

the "auto start" of sentry mode is entirely your (driver) choice. Dont configure it that way if thats not what you want. Its not even configured to default to "on" everywhere, so you or your wife, or someone else with the keys had to set it that way.

This was on you, not the car.

No. Best option would be for Tesla to properly detect passengers and avoid these situations. The purpose of the loud music is the same as an alarm siren in this case. We wouldn't want that to slowly ramp up so it doesn't damage the thief's hearing.
Agreed. The car has a sensor to detect weight on the seat, and a sensor to detect seatbelt status.

So the car already knows if someone is still in the car. Sentry mode and all other car alarm features should not engage until all passengers exit the vehicle.

Agreed. The car has a sensor to detect weight on the seat, and a sensor to detect seatbelt status.

So the car already knows if someone is still in the car. Sentry mode and all other car alarm features should not engage until all passengers exit the vehicle.

I hope this new functionality would appear to Sentry mode via the coming software update releases.

I have had items on the seat that enable the airbag. The same can be said for dogs in the car. I would not want my car to stay unlocked and sentry disabled. The daughter must have tried open the door as I have slept in my car with sentry enabled with no problems.

The solution is to remember to not lock the car or leave the key card so they can watch tv and enjoy the car.

When I leave wifey in the car with my phone inside it, I set it to camp mode. No issues there.

Fred
Dog mode works too. And then people walking by know you haven't abandoned wifey in the heat with the window rolled up. During the summer seeing someone sitting there with that campfire graphic during the day might be concerning. Some concerned citizen might try to break her out ;-}

Dog mode works too. And then people walking by know you haven't abandoned wifey in the heat with the window rolled up. During the summer seeing someone sitting there with that campfire graphic during the day might be concerning. Some concerned citizen might try to break her out ;-}
Good point! Will activate dog mode and get her a dog mask lol

Fred

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Don’t really understand your point.(likey because you don’t know the whole story). The story isn’t one that I choose to tell on a forum. But I’ll gladly say it’s not your concern.

it amazes me we lived so long without phones in our pockets at all times.

Well no, I can’t know the whole story because you haven’t told it. And that’s up to you, of course. I’m just saying that the easiest way for the average person in the average marriage is to have the spouse have a phone logged into the Tesla account. If that’s not possible, it’s a little more complicated.