Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before you purchase a Tesla...know this.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Know what you are getting into....

1) Poor caller support... I tried calling their support just now as my car is locked up..It's easter sunday, but they aren't even open...

2) Poor email support...Try sending them an email. I did 3 weeks ago about a concern...got a response a week back

3) Poor service and scheduling....If you check the schedule, it's 1 month lead time...Uh, what if an issue just occured. I guess I cant drive for a month.

I'm not bitter or anything, and luckily I have a second vehicle. I'm just telling you facts here. They aren't ready for prime time. I personally wouldn't use it as a primary vehicle without having some sort of backup.

Also, they feel they can solve every issue with a software update which I don't necessarily believe.

The funny thing is I found warranties to 'tie my hands' for some of my experiments. With our first Prius, I held off on somethings until the warranty on that part had expired and then I had fun with the car. But I'm a retired engineer and like to tweak my cars.

Bob Wilson

Reactions: Hank42
You are correct. I have noticed the same issue myself and several others in various forums (including Tesla's own) commenting about the poor customer service, especially on the phone.

I hate to say it - but these issue are why Audi, BMW, MB... will be very competitive when they have comparable ev's on the market. Which will be soon. I love my Tesla - but - customer service is a factor for my purchasing decision.

Tesla needs to get customer services figured out, they have until my loan is payed off....because I will be in the market for another ev...

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
Also I ordered on Feb 22nd, estimate "Early March." The Sales advisor made by the end of March sound like a certainty. After that came and went they have had no insight into how much longer it will be. It's been another month and every day it could be tomorrow or it could be never.

If a competitor had a comparable product I would have canceled and bought that by now.

Just want to say, in my experience (six years, 175000 miles, 3 Teslas) I have never needed service. I keep hearing people complaining about service, and about service phone calls and about service emails. I have called service (more with a question than anything) and got an immediate response. I have emailed service with a question and got an immediate response (less than a day). They also have Service Rangers who will come out and fix a large range of things in your driveway. And many things don't need a Tesla Service Center. Costco will mount tires. What in the world do you need service for?

I would guess that being in LA you should not have a problem. I'm out in the hill country (100 miles north of San Francisco). I routinely drive over a hundred miles a day (like near 30,000 a year) and I just don't have problems. If I lived in LA, I'd offer to call for you.

But, you certainly don't need "service". There is no oil to change, no filters to replace, shouldn't need windshield wiper fluid in LA. Tires can be bought on line (Tire Rack has OEM) and any tire shop will put them on and balance them for around $25 a tire. Body work can best be done by a local body shop at a good price.

And, it doesn't hurt to get to know your Service Center. I see seven in the LA area within a sixty mile radius. My nearest is 115 miles away.

1) Poor caller support... I tried calling their support just now as my car is locked up..It's easter sunday, but they aren't even open...

2) Poor email support...Try sending them an email. I did 3 weeks ago about a concern...got a response a week back

3) Poor service and scheduling....If you check the schedule, it's 1 month lead time...Uh, what if an issue just occured. I guess I cant drive for a month.

I'm not bitter or anything, and luckily I have a second vehicle. I'm just telling you facts here. They aren't ready for prime time. I personally wouldn't use it as a primary vehicle without having some sort of backup.

Also, they feel they can solve every issue with a software update which I don't necessarily believe.

So, it is the same as Porsche??? Is this a positive or a negative.

Panamerica breaks on the way to work - loses all power and pull to the side of the road.
1. After a call, a second call and a third call - car gets picked up 2.5 hours later.
2. No response for 1 weeks - no response for the next week. A dozen calls.
3. The service was painful.
a. $16K estimate for a new transmission.
b. Asked if the service had been performed correctly, (at the dealership where the vehicle was being repaired)
c. Argued about warranty

Finally repaired 3 weeks later for $6K - a broken sensor???

I am convinced all the dealers are the same.

I believe that this should better be defined as YOUR EXPERIENCE, not Tesla in general.

Lots, and I really do mean LOTS of folks have had exception service and response from Tesla. But indeed as a simple scan through the boards would indicate, that is probably too many Customer Service issues.
And let's not forget that you are in LA, where you have to compete with an abnormally high number of other owners. That's not necessarily the same in other parts of the country.

Never had any of these problems in 4+ years.
- Always a prompt answer when calling.
- eMail?... never tried it
- Always able to get a quick service appointment (less than a week). Mobile service is awesome. Never had any serious service need... just a few minor problems in four years. Never needed a second car. Always got a loaner (or mobile service).

Reactions: Evoforce
To OP, I have been using these frames on my 3 other vehicles. Happy Easter!

upload_2019-4-21_16-17-47.png

Some manufacturers excel at reliability (like Toyota). Others are known for great customer care (like Mercedes). Tesla has very high owner satisfaction in regards to owners being satisfied with the overall performance of the car, as indicated by the extremely high owner satisfaction rating in Consumer Reports.

They are not known for customer service, and long term they have not ranked highest on reliability. I knew this going in to my purchase. I was trading off some points for reliability and customer care for having the most fun car to drive. It's definitely a trade off and you have to go in to a Tesla purchase understanding you are making these concessions.

1) In the few times I have called the service center in the last six years I have always received a prompt answer.

2) Prompt email reply are the norm here.

3) The one time I need service right away a ranger was dispatched to my home the same day.

I have been driving Tesla vehicles for the past six years and they have never let me down and I would not hesitate to drive my Tesla anywhere in the United States and Canada.

I'm a little confused because I thought they had 365 24/7 roadside assistance.

If your car is locked up, and non functional then call that number.

I have heard horror stories on the wait times though.

Aside from that one I mostly agree with the OP. Sadly Tesla customers service hasn't scaled well with the number of vehicles they delivery. They literally cannot take care of the number of vehicles they sell. I don't see that getting any better soon.

It's still the only EV you can buy with a nation wise (except North Dakota) charging supercharging network.

As long as you don't get into an accident, and as long as you don't need service then its great.

Just make sure you know how to deal with the common glitches.

Well Frank, I have had the exact opposite (mostly). Maybe my location? Maybe my luck? Attitude? I just take my car to service in the afternoon (no appointments), and if they have the parts, they work on it on the spot. This includes recent experience.

I have always been given a loaner if I needed it. I can't say enough good about them... Wish it was the same for you!

What I have had issues with is Tesla Online Store. That has been a while back. Maybe Online Store has improved?

Last edited:
Reactions: Seven7
For context, this person has used service, whether or not he needed it...
Just want to say, in my experience (six years, 175000 miles, 3 Teslas) I have never needed service. I keep hearing people complaining about service, and about service phone calls and about service emails. I have called service (more with a question than anything) and got an immediate response. I have emailed service with a question and got an immediate response (less than a day). They also have Service Rangers who will come out and fix a large range of things in your driveway. And many things don't need a Tesla Service Center. Costco will mount tires. What in the world do you need service for?
See 2017 Model 3 Reliability, which included an admission that he used to take in a "about once a month".

Early on, when there were fewer Teslas on the road and the Model X didn't exist or in wasn't in large quantities yet, that might've been possible. Now, that seems a bit harder unless there are critical issues cropping up each month. Otherwise, work may need to be batched up for less frequent visits.