Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Before you spend your hard-earned money on PPF.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like with most things car related, its always beneficial to look into forums review of the shop for this type of scope of work.

Since your spending alot of money, alot of people will tell you what you want to hear, but the proof is always in the results.

Just like how some peeps reject cars at Tesla, you should have done the same and not paid a dime to it gets corrected.

I also dont trust Yelp reviews as that has been proven to be bias as well.

I also dont like pre-cut PPF installs as the seams are not consistent with every car and always lean towards 100% hand cut.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought about it this way. So many on this have been going for this stuff I started to doubt myself. If you can repair the paint or maybe get a new paint job later I don't really see the point in spending nearly the same now to protect it.

I for one just cannot justify the cost of wrapping - it provides virtually no resale value at all in the open market unless you find that one special buyer who is also completely obsessed with keeping their car as clean as possible. A dealer will never give you a dollar more on trade in value if you have PPF, ceramic, etc. Sure they may think the car looks better than average, but it likely won't matter to anyone except a super conscientious private party buyer.

I for one just cannot justify the cost of wrapping - it provides virtually no resale value at all in the open market unless you find that one special buyer who is also completely obsessed with keeping their car as clean as possible. A dealer will never give you a dollar more on trade in value if you have PPF, ceramic, etc. Sure they may think the car looks better than average, but it likely won't matter to anyone except a super conscientious private party buyer.

Just a different approach - head over to Kelley Blue book and check trade in values. On a car like a Tesla Model 3, the trade in range can swing ~$5,000 based on the condition of the vehicle. While many things go into the vehicle condition, a full front end PPF can more than pay for itself upon trade in. Plus it does wonders for hurting your feelings when that first rock hits on the highway :mad:.

Also, PPF has moved up the charts as one of the most profitable aftermarket accessories for dealerships so the awareness and value of PPF is growing.

You are correct though that having Paint Protection Film as a listed accessory on tools like Kelley Blue Book would only boost the ROI.

Good post - I got a partial PPF wrap (full hood, front sides, bumper, mirrors and front pillars).

Only my hood and front bumper are wrapped around so it's more seamless and won't catch dirt. I honestly am not sure what the difference is, or why it's done this way but I ask my PPF installer.

I have a black car so the dirty won't show, but I was told for areas that have "edges" not to pressure wash at certain angles.

I think on a white car, the edges will definitely show more once some dirt starts to catch.

Never understood paying 6k to wrap my car in plastic. Why not pay 1k after 5 years on a good detail? Better than having frayed plastic peeling off your car or paying for regular maintenance.

A good detail with paint correction won't cost 1k after 5 years - but generally speaking paying 6k for a PPF wrap doesn't make sense either.

In my case I did get a PPF wrap for the full hood, front bumper and rockers at $1600.00 - it still hurt, and if well maintained and well installed it's guaranteed to last up to 10 years without yellowing. Peeling, that part I don't know...depends on a lot of things but can happen.

But anyway, the PPF film is extremely tough and you can't really compare it to detailing, no matter what wax, sealant or SIO2 coating you use PPF is a physical barrier designed really for one thing, rock chips.

I personally think it's VERY overpriced, but I'm glad I have it because I do a lot of high driving.

If a rock hits with a strong enough impact to dent the body, tear and chip paint down to the metal or crack glass, it’s going right through the ppf.
Then you get to pay for paint repair as well as a new ppf job.
All over again
Don’t forget to redo your ceramic coat also.
Zero resale value

Reactions: mlambert890
I agree it does nothing for resale. It really is upto the individual. If you are OK with chips/scuffs on your hood/fenders/bumper then you don’t need it. If you’re like me and absolutely must have the car look pristine, then it’s probably worth it. Of course you can get the damage repaired and refinished every few years. But you’re running the risk of poor bodyshop work and it is a hassle. Not to mention you don’t have to deal with the eye sore of pitted or chipped hood/fender/bumper in between bodyshop trips.

Another side advantage is that some PPF these days are hydrophobic, so helps cleaning big time. Especially the bugs that can be just wiped off. Also, some films enhance the gloss. Again, probably won’t matter to most but it does to me.

Reactions: jkoya
Better than having frayed plastic peeling off your car or paying for regular maintenance.

I agree the cost of ppf is high and is definitely not for everyone, but I've never had the problem of the ppf peeling away from the car. I have seen it happen when someone intentionally picks at an edge to get the ppf to lift away. As for maintenance, I just wash, clay and wax it along with the rest of the car. Just my own experiences.

Why spend money or wrap? Does it cost about the same or cheaper to repaint the whole car when it got old?

I think this would really depend on the prep work and quality of paint of the particular shop that was chosen to paint the car. If I chose Maaco, then yes, it would definitely be cheeper. If I went to the local Tesla approved body shop, then no, ppf would be cheeper.

I have previously mentioned that I bought white and I it’s no secret that I would have chosen a color if I could have done it again. This is because you will not get the pop in the finish with white like you do with other colors. But this is not about that. This is about PPF and the difference between shops that use precut pieces and those with the experience to use full pieces where possible. I paid $4500 to do the full car and another $600 for ceramic coating. I’m disappointed because I have a lot of seams and in very visible areas. Some of those seams are already showing dirt between them. I’m not happy. This is in contrast to a place like RPM Tesla. Admittedly, I have not seen there work but there videos describe using pieces they cut themselves and wrap AROUND the metal. I hate that the film ends just short of every edge. That is not what I consider full protection. I have no one to blame but myself. If I had researched just a little bit more before jumping in, I could have saved myself $4500 and well, yes, another $600 also because when I have this film removed, the ceramic coating will come off with it. I want it done right the first time, even if it costs a little more.

Stepping off soapbox. Hope it helps someone.

You will Always have edges unless the panels are removed. Yes, a good shop will minimize the edges, but unless you are asking them to remove the bumpers, and other parts like head and tail lamps, you’re going to have edges. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
A lot of people don’t seem to understand that.

Also, around parking sensors they should cut around them. If you wrap over them, you’ll have air bubbles and an unacceptable adhesion. That’s why the pre-cut templates are cut around the sensors. It would have been easier for the PPF company to not cut around them; they do it for a reason.

Reactions: mlambert890