Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Begging At Charging Stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So has anyone experienced anything sketchy or a beggar at a Tesla charging station? It seems gas stations are a popular place for beggars to ask for money, probably because people can't just walk up and leave when refilling their car. And are tons of people going in and out of gas stations, leaving probably every 5 minute.

But have these gas station beggars or con artists decided to try Tesla charging stations? Well, good amount of people may not even be around their car. But there are those who decide to stay at the charging station are usually inside their car.

But one of the nicest things about the Tesla is not having to go to the gas station. Which means not having to deal with very aggressive beggars asking for money. Why do they target gas stations, is it because their victims can't just walk away which means more chance of them feeling sympathy?

There was one time 10 years ago some girl said she needed money for the train, I gave her some money. But now I'm pretty sure it was a huge lie and she just wanted cigarettes because why is she at a gas station begging for train ticket money? She should be at the train station begging for money. And if she really wanted, she could just board a train without a ticket and just hide in the bathroom the entire trip to avoid the ticket checkers.

And one time in Las Vegas, some lady goes like "sorry to bother you but I really need money". And yeah, why do they apologize about bothering you, then ask for something that is bothering me? And she asked in a way that like I had to give her money, not even willing to be submissive for money. I just gave her two sodas I had and told her I had no money. Then the guy next to me told me those people in Vegas just want drug money. And he thought it was funny I gave her soda instead of money. She still took the sodas though.

I don't do much super charging since most my commute within reach of going home to charge. But I could imagine if I did a trip to Las Vegas and charged in Barstow, I am sure there is a higher chance of meeting drug addicts coming to beg for money. I don't know if they stick to gas stations or if they started targeting Tesla chargers.

I like the Tesla chargers at shopping centers. I think that really deters beggars because they won't last long when security makes them leave.

Have not experienced that yet, but was accosted by a grifter in a car at a Nugget grocery store parking lot with a story of leaving the house without wallet needing gas money. I guess that's the world we live in, after I responded to the poster from Louisiana looking for a polite way to disengage a conversation about her car, I had my eyes opened to the fact we aren't all in Kansas anymore...(Wizard of Oz ref.)

I used the Fountain Valley supercharger once while visiting Irvine CA last month. There was an older lady with shopping bags going from Tesla to Tesla knocking on our door windows asking for money. I saw some people give her money, but I told her superchargers were cashless and I really didn't have any on me. I think I remember this location is in or near a shopping center and/or Costco.
JetFalcon - Have you been to this supercharger station being that your from Orange County?

...I like the Tesla chargers at shopping centers. I think that really deters beggars because they won't last long when security makes them leave.

I go shopping at Little Saigon in Orange County, CA from time to time and security guards over there have respected beggars' rights and they don't chase beggars away from their business.

Let's not criminalize poverties please!

Last edited:
Two words, the second of which would be ‘off’....

In the U.S., there are good people with good jobs but they might get sick and can't go to work. No work means no employer health insurance and things just spiral down and they might find themselves homeless.

It's premature to curse them off until the U.S. would have Single Payer Healthcare System.

In the U.S., there are good people with good jobs but they might get sick and can't go to work. No work means no employer health insurance and things just spiral down and they might find themselves homeless.

It's premature to curse them off until the U.S. would have Single Payer Healthcare System.

That sounds well meaning and all, but those people are generally not the ones standing out front of some store, etc with a sob story about "something" saying they have no money for food. If you actually offer food to most people like that, they will look at you funny.

There are lots of programs to assist the poor and people actually trying to help themselves (I have seen it first hand for a family member in fact), but the people that are out pan handling are normally (not always but normally) people looking for money for booze, or something else.

Very very rarely its the type of person you describe. but it usually is someone just looking for booze / drug money. Many are still "good people" but sorry thats not something I can support.

Reactions: CaliSurfer
...a sob story about "something" saying they have no money for food...

I was on my way from Visalia to San Diego, CA and stopped by in between to Supercharge at the very crowded station San Juan Capistrano.

A young man in his 20's who looked like as if he didn't have a shower for quite some time approached and asked me to spare him a dollar.

I instead offered him a hot foam container of Vietnamese crab noodle that I just picked up in Orange County.

He gladly accepted it and I instructed him to make sure to mix the fresh vegetables in, including the curly sliced Ong Choy that you see in the left the picture below.

He didn't know how to use the disposable chopsticks but I had also disposable fork and spoon in reserve in my car for cases like this.

That was among the most memorial and satisfied Supercharger experiences that I had, thanks to the beggar!

Vietnamese+Pork+%26+Seafood+Noodle+Soup+Bun+Rieu+Vicky+Pham+recipe

Bagging and poverty are not necessarily related.

I understand that there are people who do not appreciate begging.

Many people are bothered by that kind of behavior and still, others would support an anti-begging law.

Currently, there are Anti-begging laws:
For city-wide=24%
For only in particular places=76%

I, on the other hand, support beggar's rights:

Criminalization of Begging Continues, But Recent Case Law Supports Constitutional Objections | Changing Laws, Changing Lives

because anti-begging laws are "costly to enforce, and do nothing to address the root causes of homelessness and poverty."

Public assistance and health care are currently available to ALL who legitimately need it. Single-payer is a stupid idea and is not necessary for social programs to exist or work.

Government-run systems are ALWAYS inefficient and wasteful. Services are slow in coming and poor when and if they do eventually arrive. Making the government a monopoly service provider is moronic at best, idiotic more likely.

Sorry begging was what I meant.

I was on my way from Visalia to San Diego, CA and stopped by in between to Supercharge at the very crowded station San Juan Capistrano.

A young man in his 20's who looked like as if he didn't have a shower for quite some time approached and asked me to spare him a dollar.

I instead offered him a hot foam container of Vietnamese crab noodle that I just picked up in Orange County.

He gladly accepted it and I instructed him to make sure to mix the fresh vegetables in, including the curly sliced Ong Choy that you see in the left the picture below.

He didn't know how to use the disposable chopsticks but I had also disposable fork and spoon in reserve in my car for cases like this.

That was among the most memorial and satisfied Supercharger experiences that I had, thanks to the beggar!

Vietnamese+Pork+%26+Seafood+Noodle+Soup+Bun+Rieu+Vicky+Pham+recipe

I'd beg for that bowl of crab noodle soup too. :)

This one time at a location that is typical of seeing beggers I saw one person selling bottled water. I told my son 'see, this guy is smart. Instead of begging for money he probably paid $4 for a case of bottled water and is selling them to the drivers stopped at the lights. It probably makes him feel better about himself that he is providing a service vs. just looking like someone asking for a handout". Of course this won't work in the winter months but then again we don't typically see them up here during the winter that much.

Reactions: Lasairfion
Couple years ago here a few beggars showed up in a local larger town outside the mall.
Local news covered it when one of them posted her was of cash on social media and a local business owner who offered the guy a job that he wouldn't take stood next to him with a sign proclaiming such.
Local manufacturing is strong unemployment is like 2.4%.

The mass homelessness on the west coast is strongly contributed to by the localized legalization of drugs or lack of enforcement of drug laws. Leads to concentration of substance abusers who often are also mentally ill.

I saw more homeless and beggars in a few day trip to Seattle a couple years ago than I have seen cummulative in 20 years living near Green Bay.

They are trying to bring it here, they quietly put an "advisory referendum" about legalization on the ballot in 16 of 72 counties to get out the vote in those counties that would vote a certain way.