Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Begging At Charging Stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Public assistance and health care are currently available to ALL who legitimately need it. Single-payer is a stupid idea and is not necessary for social programs to exist or work.

Government-run systems are ALWAYS inefficient and wasteful. Services are slow in coming and poor when and if they do eventually arrive. Making the government a monopoly service provider is moronic at best, idiotic more likely.
It was only matter of time before this devolved into politics. C'mon people stay on topic.

So has anyone experienced anything sketchy or a beggar at a Tesla charging station? It seems gas stations are a popular place for beggars to ask for money, probably because people can't just walk up and leave when refilling their car. And are tons of people going in and out of gas stations, leaving probably every 5 minute.

But have these gas station beggars or con artists decided to try Tesla charging stations? Well, good amount of people may not even be around their car. But there are those who decide to stay at the charging station are usually inside their car.

But one of the nicest things about the Tesla is not having to go to the gas station. Which means not having to deal with very aggressive beggars asking for money. Why do they target gas stations, is it because their victims can't just walk away which means more chance of them feeling sympathy?

There was one time 10 years ago some girl said she needed money for the train, I gave her some money. But now I'm pretty sure it was a huge lie and she just wanted cigarettes because why is she at a gas station begging for train ticket money? She should be at the train station begging for money. And if she really wanted, she could just board a train without a ticket and just hide in the bathroom the entire trip to avoid the ticket checkers.

And one time in Las Vegas, some lady goes like "sorry to bother you but I really need money". And yeah, why do they apologize about bothering you, then ask for something that is bothering me? And she asked in a way that like I had to give her money, not even willing to be submissive for money. I just gave her two sodas I had and told her I had no money. Then the guy next to me told me those people in Vegas just want drug money. And he thought it was funny I gave her soda instead of money. She still took the sodas though.

I don't do much super charging since most my commute within reach of going home to charge. But I could imagine if I did a trip to Las Vegas and charged in Barstow, I am sure there is a higher chance of meeting drug addicts coming to beg for money. I don't know if they stick to gas stations or if they started targeting Tesla chargers.

I like the Tesla chargers at shopping centers. I think that really deters beggars because they won't last long when security makes them leave.
If true it’s only a matter of time for the squeegee people to arrive.:confused:

Yeah - I've had it once or twice. Always on my way down to FL and always in NC. Not sure why. If I was looking for easy targets, I'd prioritize superchargers.

Seems like a bad idea, the number of vehicles rolling through would be insignificant compared to a gas station.

Also any time anyone gives money to someone begging, they encourage that behavior further, making it worse for everyone.

I used the Fountain Valley supercharger once while visiting Irvine CA last month. There was an older lady with shopping bags going from Tesla to Tesla knocking on our door windows asking for money. I saw some people give her money, but I told her superchargers were cashless and I really didn't have any on me. I think I remember this location is in or near a shopping center and/or Costco.
JetFalcon - Have you been to this supercharger station being that your from Orange County?

Yes, I've been to that Fountain Valley one. Also Orange (Mainplace Mall) and San Clemente Outlets.

But I usually charge at home since majority of my commute can make it back home roundtrip. For me to use super charging is just a novelty to be part of the Tesla community, or because its free. For my furthest commute, I can go from Lake Forest to Mountain High and make it back without charging.

The only time I truly needed SuperCharging was doing a day trip (roundtrip) from OC to Santa Barbara with full 90% charge start of trip. I have yet to do an OC to Las Vegas trip, but I am sure I will need SuperCharging.

And most beggars I talk about are very aggressive. They beg in a way that like if you refuse, something bad will happen, or try guilt trip you even though you don't really want to.

The last time I remember being hounded down for money by beggars was DTLA at night. Some guy was like begging me for money so he can buy a hot dog. I asked him why doesn't he just go beg the hot dog stand guy for a free hot dog? And he was asking super casually, he wasn't willing to be submissive enough to look like he really needed the money. He was like asking me like if I was his pal he seen around.

Moderator note: Merged this post and two replies from another thread started on the same topic.

When I used to go to gas stations frequently, there was always a chance that a beggar of some type will ask for money, talk about a story, etc. Or someone trying to sell something like the white speaker scam, where they try sell you some high end speaker and don't want their boss to know type of thing. Or worse, being targeted by pick pockets trying to steal stuff outta your car while you're not looking, or stealing your gas by switching pumps. Seems these some people target gas stations because everyone is just a sitting duck that can't ignore you if you're a beggar, or a chance to steal from people while they're distracted. And it seems gas station attendants don't do much to stop these people as long as they don't come inside the convenience store.

Pumping gas was one of the worst things I hated doing because even at the nicest gas stations, there is a chance a homeless guy will ask you for money and you obviously have money if you got $50-60 for gas, especially if you have a newish car.

So far I never had any problem at superchargers of random people asking for money or favors, or people trying to steal. I would have thought beggars would realize Tesla superchargers are even more sitting ducks because some people may need to stay there for 30 min to charge up and some Tesla owners sit in their cars. But it's nice these people stay at the gas stations and leave the super chargers alone. Let the ICE drivers deal with random beggars and pick pockets as long as possible until these con-artists pick up on charging stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you so starved for attention that you need to start this same nonsensical thread 2 years later?

Are you so starved for attention that you need to start this same nonsensical thread 2 years later?

Yes controversy always gets attention. That’s why I got a tik tok video with 120k views!
Which is why you clicked and complained.

while charging at a supercharger in Lumberton NC I was approached by a couple who drove up in an old pickup and asked for money. despite living in the south for a long time my NY roots are always there and I told them not so nicely to go away, of course there is a .45 acp in my waistband in case they wanted to discuss things further. I do not tolerate vagrants/beggars well.

I don’t carry cash so I have nothing to give.
But if I did I still wouldn’t and would advise no-one else to either. If you want to help, give to non profits that organize food and shelter etc for those in need.
Look up videos on Venice Beach homeless encampment on YouTube, a recent one by a German guy who creates them (and there are plenty of other examples) shows that many there refuse help and even admit they travelled there from the Midwest because they heard there are no rules there. I’m not giving that kind of person anything. Give to non profits that help those that genuinely just want to get back on their feet.

I've had them hit me up in NC, as soon as they open their mouth to speak i say no and they leave me alone.
In CA at the Barstow SC there is a lot of bums because they get shipped here on one way bus tickets so it happens a lot and i usually just mean mug them and they leave, but others have to be told no before they leave. I even had a few tap my window while i was in the car eating, i waved a California hello and they leave.

I hate bums and i don't support them in any way. Reason: years ago i was in San Francisco before it became the shithole it is today and i offered a burger to a couple of bums and as i walked away they threw the damn thing at me. I later found out that panhandling is a actual business and these people were only dressed as bums to make money and actually have a very nice home and cars. I know there is real bums mixed in with the fake bums, but **** em its their own fault for whatever caused them to be bums.

• Disagree
Reactions: Darblish
I've had them hit me up in NC, as soon as they open their mouth to speak i say no and they leave me alone.
In CA at the Barstow SC there is a lot of bums because they get shipped here on one way bus tickets so it happens a lot and i usually just mean mug them and they leave, but others have to be told no before they leave. I even had a few tap my window while i was in the car eating, i waved a California hello and they leave.

I hate bums and i don't support them in any way. Reason: years ago i was in San Francisco before it became the shithole it is today and i offered a burger to a couple of bums and as i walked away they threw the damn thing at me. I later found out that panhandling is a actual business and these people were only dressed as bums to make money and actually have a very nice home and cars. I know there is real bums mixed in with the fake bums, but **** em its their own fault for whatever caused them to be bums.
Damn man, what got you all fired up today? You've been roasting everyone today. Someone buy this man a cheeseburger so a bum can throw it at him!

Haven’t encountered it myself but I NEVER enable this behavior and will politely say “no, have a good day” - ONCE. If they persist I’m a lot less polite about it. No means no.

I feel badly for those that might be genuinely poor and shamefully feel they have to do this to survive but it seems they’re outnumbered 100-to-1 nowadays by people that simply see it as easier than working a real job, investing in themselves or making better life choices. Not trying to be broad brush and I certainly support charitable causes and efforts to increase public access to mental health services but enabling this sort of behavior by rewarding it just breeds more of it.

Haven’t encountered it myself but I NEVER enable this behavior and will politely say “no, have a good day” - ONCE. If they persist I’m a lot less polite about it. No means no.

I feel badly for those that might be genuinely poor and shamefully feel they have to do this to survive but it seems they’re outnumbered 100-to-1 nowadays by people that simply see it as easier than working a real job, investing in themselves or making better life choices. Not trying to be broad brush and I certainly support charitable causes and efforts to increase public access to mental health services but enabling this sort of behavior by rewarding it just breeds more of it.
there are many different causes for this problem that has seemed to have spread everywhere. many of these people are drug addicts or mentally ill and should be in treatment centers or institutions but many of them refuse any assistance and the government will not force these people into programs.
in addition to the people who are truly in need there is a subset of people who are just frauds and play on people who are soft and sympathetic. they can turn good money in some locations, earning hundreds of dollars a day in cash.
I see it all the time, the same "vagrant" working the same off ramp or shopping center.
in NYC a tv station followed one woman who ditched her "bum" costume and sped off in a BMW 3 series.
the bottom like is that by giving these people money you are enabling them to either remain a fraud or you are funding their addictions.
DON'T DO IT!