Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Begging At Charging Stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local area offers substantial support, both public and private, to those in need. They do a great job. When I am approached locally, I give out a sheet listing phone numbers and locations where help is available. (Surprisingly, most homeless seem to have a cell phone.) Outside the local area, I give out a list of 800 numbers to call to find out where help is available nearby. Most of those sheets go in the trash (or on the street), but it stops the begging and who knows, it may do some good.

I was supercharging in NC next to a hotel and a woman came up and told me she was staying there, showed me her receipts and said she needed money to stay for another night.

And before anyone comments... She was too old to be a hooker looking for a guy to share a room with her.

Lied and told her I lost my job and was moving to live with relatives up north and was sleeping in my car since I couldn't afford a hotel.

Years ago I worked near Newark NJ and we hired off duty police for security. They had a fundraiser and sold shirts and jackets with their logo on it. I always used them on roadtrips since when I stopped at gas stations or rest stops no one would bug me. Also had a Police Chief Association sticker on the back window of the car. A couple of guys smoking pot were near me one day and walked away rapidly and I heard them say "Wow that was close"

Reactions: CapsEngineer
No worries - I don't get offended at the lack of common courtesy anymore these days because then I would be perpetually offended which could lead to watching cable/social media " news " channels and ending up in a state of perpetual outrage.😤
common courtesy? what about the courtesy offered by the vagrant who intrudes on people? some people could be quite intimidated by such an intrusion.
one time I was in a city here and when I parked the car I couldn't get from my driver's seat to the parking meter without being accosted by a panhandling vagrant, where was his courtesy? doesn't vagrant know that accosting people demanding money is an intrusion on their lives?
like I noted, while vagrants are a problem those who enable them are just as big of a problem.

Reactions: richrootes
Couple years ago here a few beggars showed up in a local larger town outside the mall.
Local news covered it when one of them posted her was of cash on social media and a local business owner who offered the guy a job that he wouldn't take stood next to him with a sign proclaiming such.
Local manufacturing is strong unemployment is like 2.4%.

The mass homelessness on the west coast is strongly contributed to by the localized legalization of drugs or lack of enforcement of drug laws. Leads to concentration of substance abusers who often are also mentally ill.

I saw more homeless and beggars in a few day trip to Seattle a couple years ago than I have seen cummulative in 20 years living near Green Bay.

They are trying to bring it here, they quietly put an "advisory referendum" about legalization on the ballot in 16 of 72 counties to get out the vote in those counties that would vote a certain way.
~3,500,000 currently in jail at a cost of at least $60,000 / year each. jail not an answer - sadly an industry paid for by wage earning tax payers mostly. Bezos figures out how to not pay much in tax some years $0.