Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginner range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 70D, currently charged at 75% showing 177mile range.
This means at 100% charge, this would be 177/0.75 = 236 mile range.

Shouldn't this be 250 miles?
Is this the ideal vs. rated mile thing?

Is rated mile calculated per my driving style? My mi/kwh is around 270, which I think is pretty good.

Long story short, is that 250 mile advertised range impossible to acheive in normal circumstances?

I never did 100% charge, but at 90% I have between 214-218. On my recent roadtrip, I hit 98% charge (didn't have time to hit 100%) and got 238 miles. I think 100% would be around 240-243 (I think travill hit 243?).

And 250 miles is not advertised, 240 miles is advertised. Hit 90% at a CT supercharger, and by the time we were in DE we were at 15%. It was about 163miles I think. So 163miles for 75% of the battery, if you extrapolate to 100% that would be 217miles. I was speeding the whole time and 4 people in the car, so if I drove 65mph (or less), I think I could hit 240miles for a 100% charge.

The conditions are right there:

And Tesla never embelished any numbers. Just ask anyone with a P85D how their promised range is.

Looking at Model S | Tesla Motors for the range calculator, the ONLY way the 70D is RATED (not arguing about rated vs. actual) for 250miles is 65mph, with an outside temp of 90F. Change the outside temp and you're back to 240.

I wont not comment any further ...

And Tesla never embelished any numbers. Just ask anyone with a P85D how their promised range is.

Looking at Model S | Tesla Motors for the range calculator, the ONLY way the 70D is RATED (not arguing about rated vs. actual) for 250miles is 65mph, with an outside temp of 90F. Change the outside temp and you're back to 240.

I wont not comment any further ...

I bet P85D's range sucks, the car asks to be abused.

I definitely might not wont comment little bit further ...

The 250 mile range is more-or-less what you would get on a track with no wind and no air and moderate temperatures. 240 is EPA, which is not all that far of from reality assuming every start isn't a rocket launch. For trips a good idea is to use 80% in summer and 70% in winter. There's a wiki that has a lot more detail.