Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginners Guide to Home Charging Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a spirited 73, with a love a beautiful cars, we pushed our budget limits and bought a gorgeous like-new 2020 Model 3. WOW!- in Love!!
However, I was shocked at how unhelpful the Tesla website was toward getting up and running, and now am really challenged to figure out what we need to hook up to our outdoor 240 hot tub wiring. I know I need a 10-40 adapter but where and what is best to buy for that connection? My mechanical geezer hubby will want to do the electrical part himself but all things computer/technical fall to me. Currently I’m driving 45 minutes to the fastest San Diego supercharger (Balboa) as the120 at home doesn’t give enough juice. We live inland San Diego and summer is daily 90-100 F and it can freeze a bit here in winter.

I would be SO grateful for a suggestion as to how/where/what to buy and best way to afford SoCal electric rates (1:00-6:00 cheapest rates are not enough charging hours?) I don’t drive far regularly but I’d like the option to enjoy both my remaining years and gorgeous car in the most efficient way. I’m not the genius everybody here seems to be but I would be so very grateful for basic suggestions!!

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

the chart shows charge rate in miles per hour. You’ll have to do the math on what you need in how many hours are at a reduced rate.

Hot tubs are usually 50amp. Lots of threads on here about what 50 amp receptacles are better. When charging a car you can only use 80% of the circuit breaker amperage.

Hi, welcome

If you are using the charger that came with the car, the best place to get adapters is directly from tesla:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Is the hot tub actually 10-40? I havent heard of that one but am not an expert on this. I would suggest checking to verify what type of connection that hot tub actually is, and then purchasing the appropriate adapter from tesla for your mobile connector. Thats the simplest, easiest thing

EDIT: I posted this the same time @Two-rocks posted, I was not trying to pile on or duplicate.

You asked for a guide, and here is a great one:
Tesla Model 3/Y Home Charging Guide – TeslaTap

I know I need a 10-40 adapter but where and what is best to buy for that connection?
Is the hot tub actually 10-40? I havent heard of that one but am not an expert on this.
No, that doesn't exist. That's why electric code has that specific exception written in to use 50 amp outlet types on 40 amp circuits--because there are no 40 amp outlet types. That might be 10-30 or 10-50, but I would still kind of doubt they would use any kind of 10-XX series of outlet for a hot tub anyway, so not too sure what that would be.

and now am really challenged to figure out what we need to hook up to our outdoor 240 hot tub wiring.
Is that an old leftover circuit from where a hot tube used to be? That would be OK. I just wanted to make sure that was clear that you can't share that circuit if it's still hooked up to a hot tub and you use it sometimes.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
OMG...never heard of Teslatap- such a great find! This guide will be a treasure! I’m very grateful.
And yes the 240 does go to and existing hot tub, which my husband is basically done with but I still love. I think he’s trying to convince me that we can plug it into the Tesla charger when we need it and plug it into the hot tub when we need that. However I think he’s pulling the wool over my eyes...having read a little bit more about it and with your help. It was very kind of you to reply. Have a great day

Hi, welcome

If you are using the charger that came with the car, the best place to get adapters is directly from tesla:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Is the hot tub actually 10-40? I havent heard of that one but am not an expert on this. I would suggest checking to verify what type of connection that hot tub actually is, and then purchasing the appropriate adapter from tesla for your mobile connector. Thats the simplest, easiest thing

EDIT: I posted this the same time @Two-rocks posted, I was not trying to pile on or duplicate.

Hey thanks Very much for your reply, I do appreciate it. I’m going to find out more specifics about the hot tub and if ordering from Tesla is the best way to go that part sounds easy. Thanks for your help!

Hey thanks Very much for your reply, I do appreciate it. I’m going to find out more specifics about the hot tub and if ordering from Tesla is the best way to go that part sounds easy. Thanks for your help!

Sure, welcome again to TMC. You will want to convince your significant other (husband) that its not a very good idea to "plug and unplug" this type of connection. Also, the car has to be on its own circuit, as @Rocky_H (a very good authority on these things) mentioned so your husband cant just piggyback off that hot tub line to put in another outlet for the car.

The short answer to "why not" is both because its against electrical code, and also because its actually not safe to do so. Car charging is a continuous load.

You dont have to get a fancy wall connector if you dont want to, however. Those are nice but not in any way, shape or form "necessary". what you want, really, is a 240v connection close to where you will park the car, so you can plug in, with its own breaker in your electrical panel.

you will read things about 60amp circuits, etc, and all that is great, but you dont "have" to get a 60 amp circuit to charge what it sounds like you want to charge. You would likely be fine with a 240v 30 amp circuit (for example, which charges I believe at 22 miles an hour.

That means that, during your cheapest electrical rates from 1-6am, you would add approximately 110 miles of range a night, which sounds like it would be fine for what you described. There is nothing wrong with "faster" but just getting that much by having someone (electrician or husband) put in a separate circuit in your main panel if there is room for 30 amps 240v would get you that.

It would be even cheaper to simply re use the hot tub outlet, but that would be if its being de commissioned, and it sounds like you dont want that, so dont mention that to your husband (lol).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi, welcome

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

EDIT: I posted this the same time @Two-rocks posted, I was not trying to pile on or duplicate.[/QUOT
Sure, welcome again to TMC. You will want to convince your significant other (husband) that its not a very good idea to "plug and unplug" this type of connection. Also, the car has to be on its own circuit, as @Rocky_H (a very good authority on these things) mentioned so your husband cant just piggyback off that hot tub line to put in another outlet for the car.

The short answer to "why not" is both because its against electrical code, and also because its actually not safe to do so. Car charging is a continuous load.

You dont have to get a fancy wall connector if you dont want to, however. Those are nice but not in any way, shape or form "necessary". what you want, really, is a 240v connection close to where you will park the car, so you can plug in, with its own breaker in your electrical panel.

you will read things about 60amp circuits, etc, and all that is great, but you dont "have" to get a 60 amp circuit to charge what it sounds like you want to charge. You would likely be fine with a 240v 30 amp circuit (for example, which charges I believe at 22 miles an hour.

That means that, during your cheapest electrical rates from 1-6am, you would add approximately 110 miles of range a night, which sounds like it would be fine for what you described. There is nothing wrong with "faster" but just getting that much by having someone (electrician or husband) put in a separate circuit in your main panel if there is room for 30 amps 240v would get you that.

It would be even cheaper to simply re use the hot tub outlet, but that would be if its being de commissioned, and it sounds like you dont want that, so dont mention that to your husband (lol).
Oh!!! This is just such a help!!
Do you live in San Diego area? I could have you over for a nice dinner? (I know Way more about cooking than I do car charging or electricity) LOL

Really, I am so grateful!

Reactions: oreobbq
Oh!!! This is just such a help!!
Do you live in San Diego area? I could have you over for a nice dinner? (I know Way more about cooking than I do car charging or electricity) LOL

Really, I am so grateful!

Lol, I am actually in the temecula area, so not "that" far from anyplace in san diego, but I didnt even put in my own, I hired an electrician. Enjoy the ride!

At a spirited 73, with a love a beautiful cars, we pushed our budget limits and bought a gorgeous like-new 2020 Model 3. WOW!- in Love!!
However, I was shocked at how unhelpful the Tesla website was toward getting up and running, and now am really challenged to figure out what we need to hook up to our outdoor 240 hot tub wiring. I know I need a 10-40 adapter but where and what is best to buy for that connection? My mechanical geezer hubby will want to do the electrical part himself but all things computer/technical fall to me. Currently I’m driving 45 minutes to the fastest San Diego supercharger (Balboa) as the120 at home doesn’t give enough juice. We live inland San Diego and summer is daily 90-100 F and it can freeze a bit here in winter.

I would be SO grateful for a suggestion as to how/where/what to buy and best way to afford SoCal electric rates (1:00-6:00 cheapest rates are not enough charging hours?) I don’t drive far regularly but I’d like the option to enjoy both my remaining years and gorgeous car in the most efficient way. I’m not the genius everybody here seems to be but I would be so very grateful for basic suggestions!!
Before your husband installs a charger by himself, you should check to see if that is even allowed under your local building codes. When I bought my 2020M3 last September, I wanted to install a 240v 50Amp line with an external plug. I knew I wasn't up to the task myself, so I called a friend who is a retired electrician. He told me that doing it myself would have violated our local building code. He charged me $200 for materials and labor and it took him about an hour. With this set up, I'm getting about 30 miles of charge per hour - plenty for my needs. Yes, the Tesla wall connector would have boosted my charging rate to about 40-45 miles of charge per hour, but the extra $500 for their wall connector just wasn't worth it

Before your husband installs a charger by himself, you should check to see if that is even allowed under your local building codes. When I bought my 2020M3 last September, I wanted to install a 240v 50Amp line with an external plug. I knew I wasn't up to the task myself, so I called a friend who is a retired electrician. He told me that doing it myself would have violated our local building code. He charged me $200 for materials and labor and it took him about an hour. With this set up, I'm getting about 30 miles of charge per hour - plenty for my needs. Yes, the Tesla wall connector would have boosted my charging rate to about 40-45 miles of charge per hour, but the extra $500 for their wall connector just wasn't worth it

I have no idea how things like this work in MA, but in California, a homeowner is not prevented from doing this type of work, as long as it is done to code, proper materials are used, and a permit is pulled.

I have no idea how things like this work in MA, but in California, a homeowner is not prevented from doing this type of work, as long as it is done to code, proper materials are used, and a permit is pulled.
It would seem that here in MA they don't trust homeowners to use proper materials or to know what the code requires. Frankly, I don't blame the state for that when it comes to electrical work.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It would seem that here in MA they don't trust homeowners to use proper materials or to know what the code requires. Frankly, I don't blame the state for that when it comes to electrical work.

I think its rare for homeowners to actually pull permits (but thats just conjecture on my part). What it really does is, give insurance companies an out, if someone does this work themselves, damages the home, and then submits a claim (also conjecture on my part but we know insurance companies love to find a way to say "thats not covered").

I hired an electrician to do the work, and made sure the cost I paid also included pulling appropriate permit.