Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginning to think something is seriously wrong with my car.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered an 85 D nothing out of the ordinary with the order expect perhaps no pano roof. (Not that I didn't want one, my wife gets sever headaches from flickering/flashing lights).

Order Date: 11/3
Confirmed: 11/10
Vin: 11/11 (116882)
In Prod: 11/18

Still in prod. I actually went through the entire Oct/Nov/Dec tab on the order tracking spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JT4HA8BKxYjR5J-z5TPikra8gQ/edit#gid=456592867

There are 271 orders on this spreadsheet. Of those orders the vast majority are in production for less than 20 days. Many substantially less. Only 6 orders were in production for more than 20 days. And only 1 order was in production for more than 30 days - guess which order, yup mine. No some of the data is incomplete so there could be more people in my situation that have just not come back to update their data. I'm not pretending this analysis is 100% accurate, and I know early adopters waited much longer than I am for my car.

What does being in production for such an extended amount of time say about my car? I've read threads that production time does not matter but when you are the only car out of 271 in production >30 that says something. I see other orders flying through the process - just saw one that went from Vin assignment to Delivered in 12 days. I'm concerned there are serious problems with my car that spell trouble down the road. It doesn't help that my DS, who has been responsive overall, has gone silent for the last week. In this case no news is not good news.

Thoughts?

It's baffling how differently identical orders go through the process from confirmation to delivery. As you said, the whole process takes less than 2 weeks in some cases. I'm supposed to take delivery of mine tomorrow (also from Dedham MA), and I ordered 1 day after you, and we ordered basically the same car. Worth noting that my MyTesla page still shows the car is in transit, as it's shown for 2+ weeks. MY DS has never called me, I've always been the one to call to find out what's up, and it always seemed he was waiting to receive the same info I was waiting for - I suspect we have the same DS. I'll press him about your case when I'm down there tomorrow. If I were you, I'd call Tesla delivery direct (888) 771-2505) and ask to have this investigated. It does seem like something tripped up probably several times during the process of building your car - I'd want to know what and why.

Ordered an 85 D nothing out of the ordinary with the order expect perhaps no pano roof. (Not that I didn't want one, my wife gets sever headaches from flickering/flashing lights).

Still in prod. I actually went through the entire Oct/Nov/Dec tab on the order tracking spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...JT4HA8BKxYjR5J-z5TPikra8gQ/edit#gid=456592867

There are 271 orders on this spreadsheet. Of those orders the vast majority are in production for less than 20 days. Many substantially less. Only 6 orders were in production for more than 20 days. And only 1 order was in production for more than 30 days - guess which order, yup mine. No some of the data is incomplete so there could be more people in my situation that have just not come back to update their data. I'm not pretending this analysis is 100% accurate, and I know early adopters waited much longer than I am for my car.

What does being in production for such an extended amount of time say about my car? I've read threads that production time does not matter but when you are the only car out of 271 in production >30 that says something. I see other orders flying through the process - just saw one that went from Vin assignment to Delivered in 12 days. I'm concerned there are serious problems with my car that spell trouble down the road. It doesn't help that my DS, who has been responsive overall, has gone silent for the last week. In this case no news is not good news.

Thoughts?

Your timing is simply unfortunate. According to reports, Tesla is focusing on building as many Model Xs as possible right now, probably to make their 2015 numbers for MX look as good as possible. Since these are built on the same line as the Model S, they displace Model S builds.

Your timing is simply unfortunate. According to reports, Tesla is focusing on building as many Model Xs as possible right now, probably to make their 2015 numbers for MX look as good as possible. Since these are built on the same line as the Model S, they displace Model S builds.

I don't see it as a timing issue, if that were the case the elongated production time would impact the orders that came after mine. For example a recent order placed on 12/10 is scheduled for delivery 12/22. There are many similar examples.

I've taken dkitchel suggestion and contact Telsa Delivery corporate. Could not reach anyone but left a VM. Hopefully I will get an update from someone - have not heard a peep in 11 days.

Your situation is worrisome ; it may have been faster to cancel the order and restart (if that can be done). Anyways, they do seem incentivized to get as many cars out in the US before year end as possible. We took delivery on Sunday, and the Fremont site said they were processing 40 / day, working Sundays, etc... to get as many out before year-end as possible.

17 days for me: Delivered Dec 20, 2015; finalized Dec 3, 2015 (order 1 day before).

Fremont deliver: 85D, pano, audio, seats, autopilot, blue, 19 inch.

Thoughts?

Welcome to Fun With Tesla.

- Prioritize higher spec vehicles
- Prioritize production to meet tax change deadlines (e.g. Denmark)
- Batch production of similar spec vehicles

In addition:
- At the end of the quarter Tesla prioritizes Fremont and CA deliveries so they can book money faster
- Currently they are trying to hit their X production targets. Although they are expected to have a 2nd production line to double production, we don't know how that is right now.

+1.

In addition:
- At the end of the quarter Tesla prioritizes Fremont and CA deliveries so they can book money faster
- Currently they are trying to hit their X production targets. Although they are expected to have a 2nd production line to double production, we don't know how that is right now.

In addition:

Welcome to logical and expedient manufacturing processes to keep overall production costs down and maximize profits...

Jeff

You can't rely on the status from the website, 2 of my cars went from "completed" (or whatever it is) to "in production" after I received them. :confused:
+1, can confirm.

Still remember the tense phone conversation I had with my DS, right before my promised delivery date, when the website status had remained unchanged. He told me my car was not yet in production, and he did not have any further info about when it might enter the queue. In my mind, I was picturing a delay measured in weeks, maybe even months.

Then a few days later, I got the call that the car was ready, come pick it up.

Could they have built and qualified the car, from start to finish, in 4 days? Maybe, but more likely, the car was already built at the time the website was telling me to pound sand.

You kids have it easy!

I ordered a P85+ on June 26, 14, when it was the top-spec car. Delivery the day I placed my order was priority for that spec, and quoted to be 30 days. Every other spec was 90 days. I locked the order in on the very next day and they told me it would 90 days because they had just opened China and the UK. So much for top-spec being a priority. Oy.

Then it dropped to 78 days. Then they stretched and stretched every day until it turned out to be 94 days in the end. The MyTesla page was completely useless in estimating anything. I persevered. Poor me. But to be honest, I felt like when I was a kid waiting for that so-hoped-for new bike at Christmas and not knowing if I would get it. Fortunately, I was so busy with a new job that I just didn't care after a while. In the end, they delivered right to my front door, my DS was outstanding and in contact with me the entire way through, and he sent me a jacket, coffee cup and lunch box (the best of all) as a thank you.

It was delivered on 9/30 in their EOQ rush and I was worried about quality. But I don't think I've had any issues that I have not seen here on the forum.

Boy does the waiting suck!

Boy does the waiting suck!
Interesting to note that your VIN was assigned well before mine, yet your car was delivered later. Seeing other people (who've ordered/confirmed long after you did) get their cars delivered while you remain in a state of limbo can definitely suck. I had worried whether there was some quality problem that had caused my car to be pulled out of the queue, halting any status updates. Nope, it's just the normal Tesla communications void that all of us have experienced at one time or another during this process.

And in the end, none of it matters once you finally get to sit in your new car.

Interesting to note that your VIN was assigned well before mine, yet your car was delivered later. Seeing other people (who've ordered/confirmed long after you did) get their cars delivered while you remain in a state of limbo can definitely suck. I had worried whether there was some quality problem that had caused my car to be pulled out of the queue, halting any status updates. Nope, it's just the normal Tesla communications void that all of us have experienced at one time or another during this process.

And in the end, none of it matters once you finally get to sit in your new car.

It is definitely the combination of:
1) seeing orders confirmed well after mine being delivered before mine
2) all communication stopping for nearly two weeks

that has me stressed. I'm sure I'll be happy when I get the car. The only critical date is 12/31 missing that date pushed my tax credit by a year. I'm hoping I get lucky and the car was already on a truck and that mytesla status is outdated.

It is definitely the combination of:
1) seeing orders confirmed well after mine being delivered before mine
2) all communication stopping for nearly two weeks

that has me stressed. I'm sure I'll be happy when I get the car. The only critical date is 12/31 missing that date pushed my tax credit by a year. I'm hoping I get lucky and the car was already on a truck and that mytesla status is outdated.

I feel your pain. I was in the same boat. For what it's worth, I ordered almost a month prior to you (Oct 7) and just took delivery this past Saturday. Our delays are because the cars weren't perfect coming off the line an had to go through QC, which apparently is really backed up.

Low and behold this morning MyTesla is showing Production Complete and In Transit. It may only be a few words displayed on a web page but I'll take it. Now I just need it to get across the country and ready for me to pick up no later than a week from tomorrow.

Last edited:
Low and behold this morning MyTesla is showing Production Complete and In Transit. It may only be a few words displayed on a web page but I'll take it. Now I just need it to get across the country and ready for me to pick up no later than a week from tomorrow.

Well that is good.... I thought perhaps you had some of the Curse of the Bambino rub off on you and your car.
There are a lot of NY Yankee fans out in California... I see them in their NY caps when we play the Angles and Oakland A's.
Do you have a handle on the typical shipment time from Fremont to ME?

To Connecticut it takes about 14 to 16 days on average.... less in in enclosed truck and more if on train then trucks.
Where is your delivery point? Is Tesla bringing it to your home in an enclosed trailer?

I bet you are really on edge now.... cheers amigo.... btw, what kind of moves have the Sux Made this off season?

Well that is good.... I thought perhaps you had some of the Curse of the Bambino rub off on you and your car.
There are a lot of NY Yankee fans out in California... I see them in their NY caps when we play the Angles and Oakland A's.
Do you have a handle on the typical shipment time from Fremont to ME?

To Connecticut it takes about 14 to 16 days on average.... less in in enclosed truck and more if on train then trucks.
Where is your delivery point? Is Tesla bringing it to your home in an enclosed trailer?

I bet you are really on edge now.... cheers amigo.... btw, what kind of moves have the Sux Made this off season?

I'm picking the car up in Dedham MA. Frankly I'd go to CT if I thought I could get the car any sooner. A fellow forum member is picking his up in Dedham today, it was in transit since 12/8. I think the only chance I have of getting the car this year is that actually left CA a while ago and that myTesla simply did not have accurate information. I'm probably in trouble if the car is still in CA. I was assured 100% that the car would be delivered in December but time will tell. Hopefully I will hear something from my DS today or tomorrow. I'm grateful that at least some progress seems to have been made.

Regarding the Sox. Funny thing is despite my handle I barely pay attention anymore. I started using that as a social media user id quite a few years ago. The reason the number is 18 is that is what Johnny Damon was wearing when my oldest son and I use to watch & goto games together. Now I just use it as my general social media user id. Besides knowing the sox spent a fortune on Price I'm not aware of any moves they made.

The only critical date is 12/31 missing that date pushed my tax credit by a year. I'm hoping I get lucky and the car was already on a truck and that mytesla status is outdated.

Sorry to hear about the delay and I certainly hope you take delivery before the end of the year. If not, you can look into adjusting your federal income tax withholding in 2016 to account for the $7,500 credit.

I know circumstances and expectations with delivery times are different now but, for perspective, I confirmed my order in early December last year and didn't take delivery until the first weekend of April so things could be worse! :smile: