TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BEHOLD! My COIL suspension Model S P85 has been LOWERED!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Perfect_Flaw, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Perfect_Flaw

Perfect_Flaw Banned

#1 Perfect_Flaw, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Upon my various research and findings, I found out how difficult it was to lower a coil suspension Model S. NO ONE makes an aftermarket kit. Giving credit to lolachamp's findings, I discovered a guy on here who had lowered his S85 using parts that were sent to him by lolachamp. Basically, what is done is the stock S85/P85 (same shock/Tesla part number!) shocks are machine a new c-clip notch and moving the height c-clip down the amount you want to lower on the shock.

I went to a very skilled automotive technician here locally in SoCal and had him machine the stock Bilstein shock bodies I purchased from a forum member here locally. I went with 1" all around. If I could do it over again, I would go 1" in the front and 1.25" in the rear to level it out a bit, but overall I am happy!

The ride quality is BETTER in my opinion. Less bouncy/more refined and it is now perfect to me. The car handles much better with less body roll, and best of all- it looks WAY better than the stock height especially when running OEM 21" wheels or like me, after market 22's with low profile tires.

I have my stock suspension in my possession (only 5500 miles on them) so if you want to do what I am doing here, PM me and I can have them machined to whatever drop you want and ship em' out to you for a nominal price :)

BEFORE pics on top of course, sorry for bad pic quality, I adjusted best I could (also had him remove center caps in after pic as I am re-doing them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of machined shock, notice the new C-Clip position and the old notch where the factory C-Clip position was:

[​IMG]

2. L@urens

[email protected] Family, Racing, Karting, MTBing

Looks good! Do you have a photo of the full side of the car before and after?
    How much work and $$ in assembly and machine work?

Did you go with 1" on all four bodies? So actual lowering is more due to A-arm length.

3. Perfect_Flaw

Perfect_Flaw Banned

Yeah I went 1" all the way around! I'm real happy how it turned out!

as for a price, my guy charged me $480 labor to install the shocks. I am willing to sell my factory Bilstein shocks fully machined to any set level you would like for at least $700. Reason is I paid almost that for the shocks I purchased to do this, plus the machining cost.

also I'll post more pics later !

4. L@urens

How much would UPS or FedEx charge for shipping to The Netherlands?

5. Perfect_Flaw

Perfect_Flaw Banned

Honestly I'm not sure, maybe $75? I'd have to see. If u are interested in them go ahead and PM me! :)

6. L@urens

Will do shortly!

7. Dylan

Dylan Member

[email protected], I'm interested to buy your shocks once you've got them replaced, if you're willing of course.

8. Nismode

Nismode Member

Any updates on this?

9. Nismode

Nismode Member