Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Behold, the dumbest safety placard in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
I challenge anyone on this forum to have a dumber safety placard on their main service panel than me.

Yes, that's 3 AC disconnects for the three Powerwalls.
Yes, there is another AC disconnect sitting next to my service entrance and separate PV disconnect
Yes, everything is all within about 10 feet of one another on the same wall
Yes, there are giant red labels and stickers all over everything (except the Tesla Energy Gateway) as well

If you're a fireman or safety worker, Where would you go to de-energize my house? Are there enough arrows pointing to where you ought to be? BTW, this red placard is already at the nexus/center where all the arrows are pointing.

The irony about all this is that if someone outside of my house opens the Tesla Gateway 2 and flips off all the breakers behind the door, then they 100% de-energize my house (PV, ESS, and utility energy).

But the TEG2 is the one item that is NOT DESCRIBED IN THIS PLACARD BECAUSE SUNRUN ISN'T ALLOWED TO PUT STICKERS ON IT.

:mad:

upload_2021-1-14_17-3-58.png

I challenge anyone on this forum to have a dumber safety placard on their main service panel than me.

Yes, there is another AC disconnect sitting next to my service entrance and separate PV disconnect
Yes, there are giant red labels and stickers all over everything (except the Tesla Energy Gateway) as well

If you're a fireman or safety worker, Where would you go to de-energize my house? Are there enough arrows pointing to where you ought to be? BTW, this red placard is already at the nexus/center where all the arrows are pointing.

The irony about all this is that if someone outside of my house opens the Tesla Gateway 2 and flips off all the breakers behind the door, then they 100% de-energize my house (PV, ESS, and utility energy).

But the TEG2 is the one item that is NOT DESCRIBED IN THIS PLACARD BECAUSE SUNRUN ISN'T ALLOWED TO PUT STICKERS ON IT.

View attachment 627639
I may end up with something like this also

View attachment 627639

The stupidity of that position baffles me.
As a safety personnel, all politics, aside...tell me how to make it safe quickly.

I got a similar placard when I added an inverter in another building where the disconnect was not within a few steps of the main panel. I thought it was a good idea in my case. But then I found out from the inspector I did not even need a disconnect at the remote building because it was non habitable. So just the inverter on/off switch is required.

placard.jpg

I got a similar placard when I added an inverter in another building where the disconnect was not within a few steps of the main panel. I thought it was a good idea in my case. But then I found out from the inspector I did not even need a disconnect at the remote building because it was non habitable. So just the inverter on/off switch is required.

Lol I only see one unnecessary disconnect; not 4 :p

But I am kind of confused, is your house comprised of like 3 separate structures? Did they actually trench a conduit to connect the utility service to your primary house? Why is your uninhabitable shed thing so far away from the house?

So many questions, but I don't think your placard is as stupid as mine. It's actually mostly useful to educate someone where to go.

Lol I only see one unnecessary disconnect; not 4 :p

But I am kind of confused, is your house comprised of like 3 separate structures? Did they actually trench a conduit to connect the utility service to your primary house? Why is your uninhabitable shed thing so far away from the house?

So many questions, but I don't think your placard is as stupid as mine. It's actually mostly useful to educate someone where to go.
It's a barn and it already existed, 400 feet away. The three structures are house, detached garage and barn. There is actually 4th hay shed but it has no power. :)

I did like my placard but am now jealous of yours because I would have like red.

Ours is interesting because of the SolarRoof complexity. Not sure if showing the tiles on the placard will help or scare away the firefighters.

And then there are the other stickers that run down the plate.

View attachment 627788

I am really glad they got all the decimal places in the 12.74646 kW roof listing - can only imagine the horror if fire fighters mistakenly thought they were only dealing with a 12.746 kW system.

Ours is interesting because of the SolarRoof complexity. Not sure if showing the tiles on the placard will help or scare away the firefighters.

And then there are the other stickers that run down the plate.

OMG, where are your ESS disconnects? What will the safety worker do if they only turn-off the solar inverter DC disconnects? Aahhhhhhhh

BTW, can you share with me the picture of the bottom red sticker about "Energy Storage System On Site"? Sunrun didn't actually give me one of those (which is ironic), and I'm curious what is the NEC language.

View attachment 627639

I don't think you can win the "Stupidest Placard in California" award without a Proposition 65 disclosure :)

• Funny
Reactions: Patrick66
I am really glad they got all the decimal places in the 12.74646 kW roof listing - can only imagine the horror if fire fighters mistakenly thought they were only dealing with a 12.746 kW system.

Yep. I always thought it was interesting that their estimates when out to 5 (or 7) significant figures. I mean really!!! And strangely this is on all the paperwork for the system such as the PTO application.

Last edited:
Yep. I always thought it was interesting that their estimates when out to 5 (or 7) significant figures. I mean really!!! And strangely this is on all the paperwork for the system such as the PTO application.
They did that with my paperwork as well - technically accurate since they list the capacity of each shingle as 58.47 W, but it just strikes me as funny that somewhere they didn't decide it was okay to round.

I guess I never took a really close look at mine, they didn't really get the inverter location right (it's a lot closer to the utility service than the Powerwall), and I see you don't have all of the high voltage warnings mine has, looks like they tried to indicate where the Diode Trunk Harness runs, though on the lower-left corner of the picture (back-facing roof) they're way off. Also whatever sharpie the tech used to write in the white boxes faded away in a few months, so I wound up making labels to replace them based on the original photos I took.

ServicePanelLabels.jpg

OMG I am so glad this was one of the first responses! Its especially funny when there isnt even a (dot)0 after the PW capacity. Like they suddenly didn't care about accuracy?

@jboy210 I really don't understand the mismatched collection of fonts and sizes. Plus WTF with the thumb sized circles trying to point at something?

Here's a couple sample images of the kind of accuracy these laser engravers are capable of.
20201023_164925 (3).jpg
20210115_071101.jpg

Reactions: house9