Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being charged for "free" supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my MX new in June 2017 and have free supercharging as long as I own it. I'm taking a weekend trip from Sacramento to LA (something I have done 4-5 times). When charging at the Santa Clarita station today, I was incurring a charging fee for the first time. When I noticed that, I moved to another station and that one was charging me as well.. No problem with the other 3 other supercharging locations that I use on this trip. Interesting enough, when I went to the My Tesla page, the usual statement about free supercharging was nowhere to be found. I will contact Tesla when I return home, but I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

Well, turns out I also got charged the other day for supercharging (not idle fee)! I have free supercharging too since I had a referral and ordered my MX in June 2018.

Do we call customer service, OA or SC to find out what's going on?

When does idle fee kick in?

You have to be there the minute it finishes charging? No grace period?
The whole point of supercharging on the road was to go relax and have a bite to eat while it charges.

Even if your phone dings and you have 5 minutes to move it would be fine. But you have to be there the moment it's done?

When does idle fee kick in?

You have to be there the minute it finishes charging? No grace period?
The whole point of supercharging on the road was to go relax and have a bite to eat while it charges.

Even if your phone dings and you have 5 minutes to move it would be fine. But you have to be there the moment it's done?
As per Tesla's website, you get a 5 minute grace period.

Supercharger Idle Fee

p.s. I found the above page by typing "When does idle fee kick in for Tesla" in my browser's search box. It was the top hit.

As per Tesla's website, you get a 5 minute grace period.

Supercharger Idle Fee

p.s. I found the above page by typing "When does idle fee kick in for Tesla" in my browser's search box. It was the top hit.

Thanks. I was being lazy. I’ll try to do better.
Guess I should be charged a “didn’t use search button fee” ;)

That policy seems fair.