Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being charged for rattle check on 2 month old car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just want to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. There’s been a few minor issues which I’m hoping will get sorted. A couple of weeks after I picked up the car, I’ve noticed some rattling and vibrations on the door area.

I’ve made an appointment, along with the other minor issues. However next availability was early December.

I just received a text stating:

“For us to investigate the noise, we require authorisation for 30 minutes diagnosis at £72.50 + vat. Should the concern be covered by warranty, this charge will be waived”

Is this normal practise as I would have thought in such a young car that it should be free?

If you searched the forum, the answer is yes that is normal for Tesla to give you a quote up front. This has been discussed.

The pattern appears to be that if they find something, they'll credit you the cost.

There is some credence to people coming from ICEs hearing sounds in BEVs which were always there previously, but masked by all the other noise. Accordingly a lot of (perceived) time wasting which the diagnostic fee is designed to reduce.
Not trying to defend Tesla's position, but explain it.

IMHO, I don't think people should be charged for their first rattle complaint, or perhaps should even be comp'ed one a year while under warranty.

Reactions: ABCTG
Hi all,

I just want to ask if anyone has had a similar experience. There’s been a few minor issues which I’m hoping will get sorted. A couple of weeks after I picked up the car, I’ve noticed some rattling and vibrations on the door area.

I’ve made an appointment, along with the other minor issues. However next availability was early December.

I just received a text stating:

“For us to investigate the noise, we require authorisation for 30 minutes diagnosis at £72.50 + vat. Should the concern be covered by warranty, this charge will be waived

Is this normal practise as I would have thought in such a young car that it should be free?