TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Being More Precise

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by lolachampcar, Mar 8, 2013.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Nov 26, 2012
    WPB Florida
    So, after four weeks of driving MS I pulled the date car out for a ride. I spent the day tooling around and remembering what it is like to shift, brake and generally stink. Yep, its official; ICE cars have tail pipe emissions and my nose now tells me they stink. The old gal is a classic and I still love her. I'll just spend that much less time with her because of the MS.

To get back on point, I pulled the ICE back into her parking spot and headed home. This morning I woke up to take my girl to school and found I am ham fisted/footed with MS. Wow, I've forgotten how to drive MS. All the grace was gone. I go to engage the cruise control, kept my foot on the torque demand pedal too long and bam, the car lurches back when I lift and forward again when the cc picks up. I had this process nailed two days ago; where did the grace go?

So, MS lesson number whatever for me. Swapping back and forth is like shift change at McDonalds. It's time for retraining. I spent the whole drive home very carefully retraining myself to be smooth with MS. The car simply requires more precise driving technique.
  2. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, FL
    On the positive side of things, I think you'll find that you will easily build two sets of muscle memories over time. The Model S is just too new for you so far, but you'll settle into the groove and then be able to swap cars at will without the need for retraining. I've been switching between my Roadster and an Odyssey minivan for the last 18 months :)biggrin:); at first it was a PITA, but you get used to anything. Now, it's a non-issue.
  3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Jan 13, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I would think switching from a Roadster to an Odyssey would always be a PITA! Regardless of how well you can drive both!

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

May 16, 2012
    3point_landing.jpg Perfect 3 point landing with Model_S. No bounce, no contact, all surfaces less than one inch apart. Totally unimpeded by the thought process I had pulled into O'Reilly's, jumped out & then realised how close I'd come to some serious damage!! Camera could not get as close as the eyeball, unfortunately. Upgrade: Cowboy MODE = OFF; Worthy Burger MODE = ON. :rolleyes:
  5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge
    I had just the opposite problem when first switching back to my Prius after driving my new Roadster for a few weeks. Who knew the Prius didn't handle curves like a Roadster?? Seems my muscle memory forgot that little fact. Luckily, I kept the car on the road but it wasn't pretty. (Laughing as I type this.)

Now, no problem switching back and forth.
  6. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Apr 25, 2012
    Schaumburg, IL
    #6 sp4rk, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    Your car is filthy!
    About as filthy as mine. Black is so hard to keep clean. I've wondered if we should get mud guards at the back of the wheel wells, but they would introduce drag?

Can't wait for Spring and give her a weekly bath.

Am I thick? Is that car damage to the front of the wheel well? Or a reflection?

And, hang on ... is that a cigarette butt on the tarmac? Ew. If that was an ICE, poooof!
  7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Jun 21, 2012
    Same problem here, I almost put my Suburban in the ditch the other day when the steering wasn't quite as firm as the S.

Then again, last week I took a business trip and ended up turning on the wipers 4 days straight when trying to back out of my parking space, and, like others, walking away from a running engine, then remembering "oops". So definitely muscle memory installed. :)
  8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    Interesting. I've been driving the Model S pretty much exclusively (she gets jealous...) for 2.5 months. I started up the other vehicle this weekend (just to make sure he's running ok) and drove for 3/4 tank of gas. There was a slight adjustment to the no-regen on the pedal, and a major adjustment to missing Slacker, dash nav, dash contact list, etc. But no real adjustment whatsoever when switching back to Model S the next day.
  9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    It's just wheel slobber.