Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being pushed by Tesla to take delivery this month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We placed an order in April for a LR Model Y and were given a Dec/Jan delivery forecast and planned accordingly.

Suddenly, when we were out of the country, Tesla called us to say our car was ready for delivery in early August. ...which we obviously couldn't do

Now Tesla are threatening to cancel the order and keep our deposit unless we agree to take early delivery.

Is anyone else being coerced by Tesla to take delivery 3 - 4 months early, and at such short notice?

Also, WTF has happened to make Tesla's order backlog collapse such that they are able to suddenly make deliveries at such short notice?

PS: Delivery in USA

Tesla pushed and threaten me if I dont take my car they would cancel it last Dec. 21 around Xmas ~ NYE as well even though the app shown car won't be ready until couple months later n I was out on vacation. My sales rep. was able to help me out but then I had to wait til Sept. 22 to take the delivery... waited for a full year....

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Upvote 0
We placed an order in April for a LR Model Y and were given a Dec/Jan delivery forecast and planned accordingly.

Suddenly, when we were out of the country, Tesla called us to say our car was ready for delivery in early August. ...which we obviously couldn't do

Now Tesla are threatening to cancel the order and keep our deposit unless we agree to take early delivery.

Is anyone else being coerced by Tesla to take delivery 3 - 4 months early, and at such short notice?

Also, WTF has happened to make Tesla's order backlog collapse such that they are able to suddenly make deliveries at such short notice?

PS: Delivery in USA
What happened? Many cancels waiting for $7500 tax credit. And most do not understand qualifications to receive the credit. My guess is Tesla will raise prices by $7500 like Ford and several others have and negate the savings.

Upvote 0
What happened? Many cancels waiting for $7500 tax credit. And most do not understand qualifications to receive the credit. My guess is Tesla will raise prices by $7500 like Ford and several others have and negate the savings.
Even the cheapest Model 3 RWD is $46,990 with 18" wheels and standard paint. Assuming that Tesla could get the raw materials and already has the domestic manufacturing in place, that leaves a whopping $8,010 available to increase before it would exceed the $55,000 "other" category price cap to qualify for any credits period. A $7,500 price increase just on this one model would mean no options can be added if still wanting to qualify for the credit.

Model Y would have a bit of wiggle room if it's categorized as a Sport Utility Vehicle with a $80k price limit and isn't slotted under the "other" category with the Model 3. I'm a bit skeptical the Y would be held to an $80k limit, that seems far too liberal but who knows.

S and X obviously don't qualify at all.

At the same time, production numbers need to be able to satisfy whatever demand this creates -- by the end of 2024, a vehicle will be disqualified if it contains any battery minerals or components sourced from China.

This is far more complicated than thinking Tesla will just jack up the prices, which are already far too high, by $7500 because a potential credit is coming. Ford's pricing on the Lightning is super aggressive in comparison, it's still underpriced.

Upvote 0
Ford were already entitled to the old $7,500 tax credit, so it seems highly unlikely that they raised prices because the qualifications changed.

Upvote 0