Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being pushed by Tesla to take delivery this month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We placed an order in April for a LR Model Y and were given a Dec/Jan delivery forecast and planned accordingly.

Suddenly, when we were out of the country, Tesla called us to say our car was ready for delivery in early August. ...which we obviously couldn't do

Now Tesla are threatening to cancel the order and keep our deposit unless we agree to take early delivery.

Is anyone else being coerced by Tesla to take delivery 3 - 4 months early, and at such short notice?

Also, WTF has happened to make Tesla's order backlog collapse such that they are able to suddenly make deliveries at such short notice?

PS: Delivery in USA

They are producing Model Y’s super fast now that Austin is building long range versions. Estimated delivery dates are just that; estimates. When an order is placed they try and fill it ASAP. That’s good customer service, IMO.

I asked the Kennesaw SA’s about delaying and they said the latest Tesla policy is that you can refuse the VIN once. But you must take delivery the next time a VIN is assigned or your order will be cancelled. They said the new VIN would be assigned within 30-days or less, unless you have an odd build configuration. The SA said they were allowing for 2 refused VIN’s, but that recently changed to just 1.

Mine wasn’t due until December and it showed up last Friday. I took delivery Sunday. I wanted the MSRP I locked in, plus they gave me a crazy high trade in price for our 2021 MY LR. I believe used Tesla prices will drop big time once the tax credit comes.

Tesla expects a lot of people trying to delay because of the possible tax credit. The SA’s said Tesla will most likely crack down on deliveries.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla requires orders to be delivered when a VIN is assigned or they will cancel the order. It’s not in Tesla’s best interest to allow people to delay orders until 1/1/2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel and VegasMYP
Upvote 0
Yes. In May 2022, I ordered a blue MYLR, 5 seat, no hitch and it had an original delivery date of Dec 2022/Jan 2023. I was surprised when they gave me a VIN and delivery date for 3 July 2022. I was out of town, so couldn't take delivery. It was odd because the advisor told me it was a Austin build when VIN clearly showed it came from Fremont. So, declined due to not being able to take delivery. Two weeks later I get another Fremont VIN. The advisor told me the early delivery was due to the car being blue.

Told the advisor I didn't want the 2nd car either and would find a reason to reject it and that I was waiting for an Austin build. The advisor put the order on hold, even though I had been given two VINs already. I fully recognize I'm being a baby about it and also recognize Tesla's ability to cancel my order outright and keep my deposit. No worries either way.

Got an email today saying if I didn't say I'm ready for delivery in the next 10 days that my order would be canceled. I'll say I'm ready again, but I can't control my work schedule. I have multiple times where I'm out of state over the next few months. It's kind of shitty to give someone 24/48 hours notice to purchase a vehicle. Especially when Tesla's financing isn't what it used to be.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Upvote 0
Cancelling the order likely won't be that big a deal if people do it in sufficient numbers to build up actual vehicle inventory, then who cares about your order or sequence when the spec you want is sitting in stock?

If it happens enough, Tesla might even have incentive to lower prices or build in other perks that provide value to consumers and give a reason to go through with orders right now rather than wait

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Upvote 0
Yes. In May 2022, I ordered a blue MYLR, 5 seat, no hitch and it had an original delivery date of Dec 2022/Jan 2023. I was surprised when they gave me a VIN and delivery date for 3 July 2022. I was out of town, so couldn't take delivery. It was odd because the advisor told me it was a Austin build when VIN clearly showed it came from Fremont. So, declined due to not being able to take delivery. Two weeks later I get another Fremont VIN. The advisor told me the early delivery was due to the car being blue.

Told the advisor I didn't want the 2nd car either and would find a reason to reject it and that I was waiting for an Austin build. The advisor put the order on hold, even though I had been given two VINs already. I fully recognize I'm being a baby about it and also recognize Tesla's ability to cancel my order outright and keep my deposit. No worries either way.

Got an email today saying if I didn't say I'm ready for delivery in the next 10 days that my order would be canceled. I'll say I'm ready again, but I can't control my work schedule. I have multiple times where I'm out of state over the next few months. It's kind of shitty to give someone 24/48 hours notice to purchase a vehicle. Especially when Tesla's financing isn't what it used to be.
Seems they would be better off just canceling your order and resetting the price to current. Why order a car knowing you can’t have a specific build address and know your work schedule. Why are delivery schedules for everyone so out of whack? I see now lol.

Upvote 0
Happened to me January order, original EDD in June. one day in early March I got an email saying my car is ready and please schedule pick up Within the next week. I couldn’t do it for several reasons and passed on it. General consensus is that it was one like mine somebody else passed on. I went back into the queue without change in the original EDD until later in the spring when things went haywire and EDD started bouncing all over. Still waiting on mine but hopefully delivered in the next 3-4 weeks.

At any rate there was a policy at one time allowing a deferral (or two) without cancelling order and I would think it would still apply especially when original EDD so far off the mark.

Upvote 0
Happened to me January order, original EDD in June. one day in early March I got an email saying my car is ready and please schedule pick up Within the next week. I couldn’t do it for several reasons and passed on it. General consensus is that it was one like mine somebody else passed on. I went back into the queue without change in the original EDD until later in the spring when things went haywire and EDD started bouncing all over. Still waiting on mine but hopefully delivered in the next 3-4 weeks.

At any rate there was a policy at one time allowing a deferral (or two) without cancelling order and I would think it would still apply especially when original EDD so far off the mark.
They told me I could defer mine, but if I got matched again next week then they couldn’t do anything about that and I could have to take delivery or cancel.

I ordered around July 18th, had an estimate of mid September to mid October and was notified last week that I was matched to a VIN and had about 6 days to take delivery…

Upvote 0
I can say that Tesla scheduled me for delivery five days after my VIN was assigned. Pickup in Princeton.

So yeah, that's a little pushy. Not easy to get financing together in that amount of time. I ended up extending it to eight days after. That's Friday and if my check doesn't get here tomorrow, I'll have to reschedule.

Upvote 0
I can say that Tesla scheduled me for delivery five days after my VIN was assigned. Pickup in Princeton.

So yeah, that's a little pushy. Not easy to get financing together in that amount of time. I ended up extending it to eight days after. That's Friday and if my check doesn't get here tomorrow, I'll have to reschedule.
I'm so thankful for my lender being awesome (and letting me push them around a little :p)

I started contacting them Friday of last week and was told to submit a loan application (since I was an existing customer I was hoping there would be a faster method which is why I didn't just start with the application). Monday I got an email from a loan rep saying they had my app (and I noticed my credit was run) and I worked with them getting the documents Tesla had provided up to that point and getting a loan payoff. I had dealt with this before so I knew I needed Tesla to get me accurate MVPA and I knew my lender needed to get me hard proof on my trade in payoff (they assured me Tesla could just call and ask, when Tesla did they were told they couldn't get my info because of "privacy reasons," thankfully I had a letter as a backup!) I got most of everything done Monday and then worked with Tesla Monday afternoon to get the payoff info and MVPA finalized with the last details. I sent that back and Tuesday morning (my lender is East coast, I'm West coast) my lender processed everything and was able to make the wire transfer to Tesla (even though they prefer that, apparently wire transfers screws up their system so that required more calling to fix it). I was able to show up at 5pm and inspect the car and make my final payment via the app from my personal checking account and take delivery.

So basically all day Monday and then Tuesday morning and my lender had everything done. It was awesome!

Would have been nice if I could have locked my rate 22 days ago when I ordered the car, would have saved me a full 1% interest! My lender was still 2.25% before the last rate hike and I only was able to get 3.25%... thankfully with the amount I'm financing it's only like $13 more a month.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Upvote 0
We placed an order in April for a LR Model Y and were given a Dec/Jan delivery forecast and planned accordingly.

Suddenly, when we were out of the country, Tesla called us to say our car was ready for delivery in early August. ...which we obviously couldn't do

Now Tesla are threatening to cancel the order and keep our deposit unless we agree to take early delivery.

Is anyone else being coerced by Tesla to take delivery 3 - 4 months early, and at such short notice?

Also, WTF has happened to make Tesla's order backlog collapse such that they are able to suddenly make deliveries at such short notice?

I doubt Austin is making MYLR in high volume yet to be the cause.
A few explanations.
1) people canceling their orders now because they will get $7,500 federal tax credit in addition to state incentives if they take delivery after 1/1/2023 and these people are betting there are no further price increases.

2) someone in your geographic area cancelled their order and you both chose same options.

Upvote 0

Nope! My advisor told me that you have 1 time to delay delivery until your order is cancelled. Speak to your advisor at the showroom. I ordered mine in March and my delivery is end of the year but I am on the east coast. I think where you live has to do with it. I think someone cancelled their order which is the exact spec you ordered and you were next in line if you are close by.. If they are going to, I would try to pick it up otherwise you would have to reorder again and wait and pay a hefty price for the new one.. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0
I'm so thankful for my lender being awesome (and letting me push them around a little :p)

I started contacting them Friday of last week and was told to submit a loan application (since I was an existing customer I was hoping there would be a faster method which is why I didn't just start with the application). Monday I got an email from a loan rep saying they had my app (and I noticed my credit was run) and I worked with them getting the documents Tesla had provided up to that point and getting a loan payoff. I had dealt with this before so I knew I needed Tesla to get me accurate MVPA and I knew my lender needed to get me hard proof on my trade in payoff (they assured me Tesla could just call and ask, when Tesla did they were told they couldn't get my info because of "privacy reasons," thankfully I had a letter as a backup!) I got most of everything done Monday and then worked with Tesla Monday afternoon to get the payoff info and MVPA finalized with the last details. I sent that back and Tuesday morning (my lender is East coast, I'm West coast) my lender processed everything and was able to make the wire transfer to Tesla (even though they prefer that, apparently wire transfers screws up their system so that required more calling to fix it). I was able to show up at 5pm and inspect the car and make my final payment via the app from my personal checking account and take delivery.

So basically all day Monday and then Tuesday morning and my lender had everything done. It was awesome!

Would have been nice if I could have locked my rate 22 days ago when I ordered the car, would have saved me a full 1% interest! My lender was still 2.25% before the last rate hike and I only was able to get 3.25%... thankfully with the amount I'm financing it's only like $13 more a month.
what lender? good rate!

Upvote 0
what lender? good rate!
Carolina Cooperative FCU. They actually have as low as 2.25% still for 84 months... But I just missed out on that due to credit score. (Been loading up on some bills related to a family medical issue that I haven't sorted yet and paying off the cards and stuff wouldn't have reflected on my score fast enough before the credit union pulled the credit... well that teaches me to stay on top of the accounting/finance part of my life 🤣 )

Edit: You also don't have to live in that state. I think if you go to the membership page it still mentions you can be a member if you join a consumer credit union and make a "donation" to it or something. I was able to do that fine while living out of state and never was questioned and many others here have been able to do the same. Four or five months ago these guys were still 1.99% out to 84 months! It was insane!)

Upvote 0
This just happened to me. I was told to plan on Oct/Nov (ordered in 2021), then got a text about VIN assignment last week. I chose the "REJECT" option, which I took to mean "defer" but not cancel. Today, I got a new text about a VIN assignment but no accept/reject option, so I think I'm likely to lose the deposit and the car.

I have a similar 2020 Y, which I had planned to sell to pay for the new car; I can't afford to own both, even temporarily. My calculations (given the 2020 cost and the 2021 locked-in price) said that it would be a wash. Now I have no time to arrange that.

Finally, losing the EV tax credit makes a big difference in the price!

Any ideas on how to finesse my way into a new Y?

Upvote 0
This just happened to me. I was told to plan on Oct/Nov (ordered in 2021), then got a text about VIN assignment last week. I chose the "REJECT" option, which I took to mean "defer" but not cancel. Today, I got a new text about a VIN assignment but no accept/reject option, so I think I'm likely to lose the deposit and the car.

I have a similar 2020 Y, which I had planned to sell to pay for the new car; I can't afford to own both, even temporarily. My calculations (given the 2020 cost and the 2021 locked-in price) said that it would be a wash. Now I have no time to arrange that.

Did you submit your current car for trade in? You might be surprised. Tesla gave me $63k for my 2021 MYLR. The new car I just picked up was locked in at $62,999. So I really came out well.

Also, the tax credit may or may not apply to the Tesla’s. It’s still not 100% guaranteed. Plus if you make more than $150k, you don’t get the credit at all.

Upvote 0

Think of interest rates by January and trade value. If you’re planning to trade in I would calculate a $10k drop in value between now and then as worst case. It likely *won’t* be that, but I do expect some decline. Values are absurdly high right now. If Tesla starts closing order to delivery windows to a month or two no one is going to buy used for two or three thousand less than brand new. If the economy falls apart a bit more we might see more used cars being sold, repossessed, etc. If interest rates keep going up you might pay an extra point or so OR used loans might start costing more than new which will push down demand and prices on used cars…

You have the price locked in now. Trade values are very high. The only thing you’re missing out on is potentially $7,500. If that amount of money literally makes it to where you can afford to buy vs not, don’t stretch yourself that thin, you can’t afford a new one.

Upvote 0
Nope! My advisor told me that you have 1 time to delay delivery until your order is cancelled. Speak to your advisor at the showroom. I ordered mine in March and my delivery is end of the year but I am on the east coast. I think where you live has to do with it. I think someone cancelled their order which is the exact spec you ordered and you were next in line if you are close by.. If they are going to, I would try to pick it up otherwise you would have to reorder again and wait and pay a hefty price for the new one.. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
I sent Tesla a detailed email giving my situation.

As of now, they have put my order on hold and have withdrawn the threat to cancel the order.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Upvote 0
Think of interest rates by January and trade value. If you’re planning to trade in I would calculate a $10k drop in value between now and then as worst case. It likely *won’t* be that, but I do expect some decline. Values are absurdly high right now. If Tesla starts closing order to delivery windows to a month or two no one is going to buy used for two or three thousand less than brand new. If the economy falls apart a bit more we might see more used cars being sold, repossessed, etc. If interest rates keep going up you might pay an extra point or so OR used loans might start costing more than new which will push down demand and prices on used cars…

You have the price locked in now. Trade values are very high. The only thing you’re missing out on is potentially $7,500. If that amount of money literally makes it to where you can afford to buy vs not, don’t stretch yourself that thin, you can’t afford a new one.
I agree with you. If the tax credit made it where you were able to get it and if you lose the credit, you can't afford the new car unfortunately. Did you try selling it on your own vs trade it in? Do you have a 2nd car that you can use if you sold the Tesla now?Carvana, vroom and all those sites gives you can offer that is good for 7 days or so and they hand you a check! Maybe just keep the Tesla you have.. at least you have one!

Upvote 0