Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being to meticulous on the issues I found on my model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Just received my MYLR last weekend but found some issues and panel misalignment thus I booked for the service that is upcoming in a few days.
I found numerous issues and wonder if they are worth to mention to fix (especially the misalignment) as I see many post that minor misalignment fix would not be done at all as SC would state 'within a normal range'

below are the issues I found along with pics and let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 89F57FD0-E43F-4AE6-9924-BBC8360B3A81.jpeg
    89F57FD0-E43F-4AE6-9924-BBC8360B3A81.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 2,150
  • 3E89A833-CC51-4E3C-86B5-16ED4EEB6128.jpeg
    3E89A833-CC51-4E3C-86B5-16ED4EEB6128.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 82CB51AD-4AC3-419D-B5CD-5D50F9412B69.jpeg
    82CB51AD-4AC3-419D-B5CD-5D50F9412B69.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 5E368399-EAE0-489B-8EA4-9135E26BFE27.png
    5E368399-EAE0-489B-8EA4-9135E26BFE27.png
    812.4 KB · Views: 284
  • F4072886-15E8-45EB-8931-B6D9C7E9F413.jpeg
    F4072886-15E8-45EB-8931-B6D9C7E9F413.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 286
  • FCE5B7CC-5528-4BD3-B6E0-F82B32419F73.jpeg
    FCE5B7CC-5528-4BD3-B6E0-F82B32419F73.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 277
  • B586EEA7-F99E-4A87-B0E5-F600040A6270.jpeg
    B586EEA7-F99E-4A87-B0E5-F600040A6270.jpeg
    783.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 4AF54FAE-4057-4AE6-ADF9-A729F6CEE853.jpeg
    4AF54FAE-4057-4AE6-ADF9-A729F6CEE853.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 280
  • B67CE22F-D96B-4D2A-86D4-106FAD9A57F9.jpeg
    B67CE22F-D96B-4D2A-86D4-106FAD9A57F9.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 263
  • B96A6044-6DEF-4F1A-82F6-CA523E1CB1D0.jpeg
    B96A6044-6DEF-4F1A-82F6-CA523E1CB1D0.jpeg
    858.8 KB · Views: 286
Many misalignments were supposed to be within the normal range, and there is an explanation for the misalignments. It is because of the inaccuracies of Tesla's one-piece molding, but Tesla may fix it if the gap is large. keep us updated with the response from Tesla service.

Welcome to Tesla ownership! Yes, those are valid (especially the scratches) and you should complain.

Isn't there a 100 mile policy to address anything missed at delivery? They may say the panel gaps are "in spec".

thanks!!
Yes, i have reported the issue via SC appointment the day after delivery which was within 24h and 29mi then. But because other days were fully booked, the earliest was a week after from my delivery.
but its been already >100 mi while I am waiting for service. hope thus doesnt cause any issues

Scratches, rubber seals, and paint chips are absolutely valid and they should be fixing those but misalignments don't look as bad as some other ones I've seen so I'm not sure if they would even do anything with those. My understanding is as long as you take pictures and request service withing 24 hours of delivery they will not be able to deny coverage no matter when will the appointment be.

Heads-up. If you’re from the sf Bay Area, don’t use van ness location, those guys are clueless. ur best luck is Burlingame.

my first Y was a 2020 LR. I had some of ur issues and Burlingame fix most of it After van ness claim it’s within specs. But keep in mind With panel gaps, u move one thing, something will have to give. sorry ur new car wasn’t perfect, it’s sucks. i feel ur pain.

my second Y (22 MYP) was near perfect tho. So there’s hope for tesla to improve their QC.

GL OP.

Reactions: Boza and skim04c
Had similar issues. After getting the old Tesla service run-around I had to escalate. Be professional, but don't let them push you around, and don't take no for an answer. Good luck and enjoy your new Tesla.

Reactions: skim04c
Heads-up. If you’re from the sf Bay Area, don’t use van ness location, those guys are clueless. ur best luck is Burlingame.

my first Y was a 2020 LR. I had some of ur issues and Burlingame fix most of it After van ness claim it’s within specs. But keep in mind With panel gaps, u move one thing, something will have to give. sorry ur new car wasn’t perfect, it’s sucks. i feel ur pain.

my second Y (22 MYP) was near perfect tho. So there’s hope for tesla to improve their QC.

GL OP.
Yeah I was soooo excited to finally get mar car waiting for 8 month then got soo disappointed with product that I paid for 60K. But I have already arranged everything including selling my car on the delivery day so I decided to accept the delivery since no major exterior / paint issues nor panel gaps were observed during the inspection on site. I was only able find the deep scratches on the roof later that day because the area I picked up was foggy all day and could see the roof at all. If I found it during the inspection I wouldve reject the deliver. But anyway too late to regret just hoping majority issues be resolved after the SC.

Dont really mind about the doors panel gaps but the trunk misalignment do bothers me...

luckily I live near Burlingame so I am going there. fingers crossed!!

Interesting I thought they'd learned from Gigashanghai which was built for/by Tesla vs taking over the old NUMMI factory
My understanding is that all factories are using the same imperfect castings which contributes to this problem.

For certain though Shanghai and Berlin seem to be doing much better assembly than the US plants.

The latest cars I have seen from Fremont are noticeably improved compared to what they were building even two years ago, so they are improving.

thanks!!
Yes, i have reported the issue via SC appointment the day after delivery which was within 24h and 29mi then. But because other days were fully booked, the earliest was a week after from my delivery.
but its been already >100 mi while I am waiting for service. hope thus doesnt cause any issues
Being above 100 miles won’t cause any issues. I reported a variety of issues at around 800 miles. I had to drive 200 miles from pickup spot to my home for example. I had four doors and a trunk which had panel alignment issues. Search my name and you can find my experience. If first service center (SC) says it is all in spec, try a different one. That is what I did. First SC down the street from me said all panel alignments were in spec. Second SC on other end of Los Angeles agreed most of my concerns were valid and they’d try their best to address it. Sent my car to a highly rated body shop and Everything was fixed, even the alignment issue SC was in spec.

Being above 100 miles won’t cause any issues. I reported a variety of issues at around 800 miles. I had to drive 200 miles from pickup spot to my home for example. I had four doors and a trunk which had panel alignment issues. Search my name and you can find my experience. If first service center (SC) says it is all in spec, try a different one. That is what I did. First SC down the street from me said all panel alignments were in spec. Second SC on other end of Los Angeles agreed most of my concerns were valid and they’d try their best to address it. Sent my car to a highly rated body shop and Everything was fixed, even the alignment issue SC was in spec.
thanks a much for the tips.

Will definitely try other SC since there are a few in bay area. If the one Im going claims its within the spec I will try like Palo Alto or Sunnyvale.

Like other post mentioned when aligning something will create another new misalignment, did you have these kind of issue?

Yeah I was soooo excited to finally get mar car waiting for 8 month then got soo disappointed with product that I paid for 60K. But I have already arranged everything including selling my car on the delivery day so I decided to accept the delivery since no major exterior / paint issues nor panel gaps were observed during the inspection on site. I was only able find the deep scratches on the roof later that day because the area I picked up was foggy all day and could see the roof at all. If I found it during the inspection I wouldve reject the deliver. But anyway too late to regret just hoping majority issues be resolved after the SC.

Dont really mind about the doors panel gaps but the trunk misalignment do bothers me...

luckily I live near Burlingame so I am going there. fingers crossed!!

totally understand your position. My 2020 LR was 50k at that time. If it was 60, im not sure how i would react. It was my first Brand new car and it was a tesla. I was also pump getting the car. There was a few minor issue, Burlingame SC eventually fix them. My hood was off a little, fix. My door was also off a little, also fix. Here's the problem with the door tho. When it got hot, it started to rub against the front corner panel. It was my passenger's door which i don't use much. So i didn't care. When it was cool here, no rubbing. U know the SF area, don't get too hot here so i didn't go address it. I end up selling the car and getting the MYP.

If it make u feel any better. Even if you have rejected it, i don't know if tesla would allow that anymore. SInce your order is 8 months old, tesla will tell you to accept it and let the SC fix your issues. Or cancel your order and place a new order with the new pricing. It happened to my buddy last month. He also waited 8 month for his LR. There was a door ding on the passenger side. He tried to reject it but tesla said NO. Heres the good news tho, SC did fix the ding, so it was as new. They hired a third party to do the work. So liked what others said above, don't take NO for an answer. Keep putting in those service ticket until you are happy. I wasn't happy with the Van ness location, so i gave Burlingame a try. I was happy with them.

Heres the trip tho. Tesla is the only brand i see ppl going there with a check list for a brand new car! But guess what, this is my second tesla. Would i buy again, hell yes. It was also my buddy's second tesla. He would do it all over again.

I put in 30k miles on my LR. loved every single miles. I put in 8k on my MYP. Guess what, every mile is better than the LR. Go enjoy your new car. Give it some time, im sure you will love it. But guess what, if you are still unhappy with the SC or how the car drives.. u can flip it easily for what u paid and probably make $5k easily! Thats the beauty of a tesla right now!

Hi,
Just received my MYLR last weekend but found some issues and panel misalignment thus I booked for the service that is upcoming in a few days.
I found numerous issues and wonder if they are worth to mention to fix (especially the misalignment) as I see many post that minor misalignment fix would not be done at all as SC would state 'within a normal range'

below are the issues I found along with pics and let me know your thoughts.

Rubber liner: tesla can replace a brand new one for you. I would ask them to.

water guard: tesla also can replace a new one for you. I had that issue with my LR.

left door paint chip: they will try to use their paint touch brush to dap it. They ding my rear panel during service. They just dap it with their factory WHITE paint. From a distance, can't tell. If you really want, get a third party paint shop to do the work. But im sure this will take much longer to fix.

driver door panel gap: same issue on my LR. They fix it but it started to rub when it hot up in the bay area. So it got annoying.

passener door panel: they will adjust the bolt/nut from the door hinge to align the door. It will look better but a slight chance the other end might be off alittle. Kinda have to accept it. Won't be 100% but you never know.

roof glass: get a new one! lol

trunk arm: easy fix by adjusting the trunk arms.

trunk top: should be fix after adjusting the arms.

tail light chip: get a new one.

Seat plastic: get a new one!

seat belt holder: should be easy to adjust

plastic cover pedals: also easy. maybe u can push it back in. lol

Keep us posted. After a few thousand miles, you will forget all this if you enjoy the car. :)