TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Being told I "have to" take premium seats

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Watts Son, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

So I ordered with next gen seats but got this email today from DS:

"I reached out to my order operations team and they confirmed with me that your Tesla will be built with the new Premium Seats. There will be no additional charge for these seats. I was also informed that if you'd prefer the standard black seats or textile seats, they'll need to know as soon as possible to make the change. Please let me know how you want to proceed with the seat"s.

I really am a bit partial to the Next Gen and that's what I want to insist on. It seems people who ordered when I did are getting them. Thoughts ?

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Inventory car available with your selected features?

It's possible they mean next gen by "standard black".

3. NeverEnough

NeverEnough Member

I was hoping to get the premium seats but ended up with next gen. Oh well.

4. Shateam

Shateam Member

+1

5. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

Darn ! Are premium better than next gen ? I need to go for spirited ride in premium honestly ,,I just know I liked the next gen and didn't like them changing on me. It seem like Tesla took the Recaro mold and made the side bolsters a little smaller but in terms of the cushioning, hard to say.

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Seats are subjective enough you probably need to try them for yourself.

Having said that, most folks seem to agree that the X seats are significantly better than the S seats - and unless I'm very confused, the new Premium seats you're apparently getting are Tesla's attempt to bring the X seats back to the S.

7. Shateam

Shateam Member

It's definitely subjective. I sat in both the next gen and premium seats (one after the other) and thought the premium seats were more comfortable. Others will say the next gen seats are comfortable.

• Like x 1
  8. NeverEnough

NeverEnough Member

I think they are very close in comfort, but I prefer perforated and ventilated (although I found the ventilation to be a bit lacking).

• Like x 1
  9. ZeroDarkSilver

ZeroDarkSilver HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome

I'm pretty sure next gen and premium are basically the same, except premium has holes in it where you can store extra cheeto dust and orange juice.

• Funny x 3
  10. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

#10 Watts Son, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    You only get the holes if you want ventilated. Too much Cheeto dust gets in there so opted to stay with Stone Age methods of heating and cooling the cabin and my body-like through the steering wheel. In any case, can I INSIST on Next Gen or should I settle for premium and a couple of jackets for my trouble ?

11. croman

croman Active Member

wow, I'd take the premium and jackets in a heartbeat. I wanted premium but those were only offered for 90D and up when I ordered. I would've paid extra even (they are $500 more).

12. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

$500 more than Next Gen ?

13. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Premium seats are better IMO than original (which I had) or NextGen (which I tried). I think you'll be happy with Premium.

14. Steve1081

Steve1081 Member

Take the premium!!!

I guarantee somone (me) will trade you if you don't like them. They are the newer version and all the cars will have them now. You don't want the old seats any more than you want my AP1...

15. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

you should get exactly what you want not what Tesla says you have to have.

16. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I have the next gen seats, and last week was able to try the premium seats in a P100D for a full day while my car was in service.

During my spirited drive up in the hills, I felt that the premium seats had much less lateral support than my next gen seats. It seems like a downgrade, despite the premium seats being perforated and ventilated.

Recaro has been in the business for decades so they know how to make a damn good seat! I'd push for the next gen if at all possible.

17. ev-now

ev-now Member

I'd say it depends on why they say you have to have them. Right now they are trying to book and deliver for Q1, after a near miss for Q4 which will be easily eclipsed with the many orders placed late December. If they have a shortage of Next Gen, then they shpuld make good on your order when they can fulfill it. If Next Gen are going to be discontinued, well that's another thing entirely.

As others have said. Get them to lend you a car with Premium for a day or more, and see if you like them - not a 30 minute test drive - you want to drive to some level of sitting fatigue to know if they work for you.

Tesla chose the JIT, custom-order model - works for them, should work for the customer too!

18. SKEarlyFord

SKEarlyFord New Member

Is the Next Gen basic seat the same as the Premimum, just one more plush or comfortable than the other?

19. oktane

oktane Active Member

First world problems.

Take the Premium seats your car will be outdated with the NextGen. ;)

• Like x 1
  20. bradhs

bradhs Member

I prefer the next gen seats but only because I'm 5'8" and 150 LB's... Next Gen hold you in really well while the premium are a little more comfortable but they don't hold you in as well.