TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Belated new member intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gregd, Dec 18, 2016.

1. gregd

gregd Active Member

Ok, so I'm more than a little late doing this (just noticed the sub-forum...). Been a Tesla owner (2010 Roadster 2.0) for almost exactly 2 years, joined TMC within days of delivery.

I'd lusted over the Roadster for years, ever since seeing one at work during an Earth Day event held there. Way out of my reach, financially, but the idea of building an electric car had been brewing for a while. I'm an engineer by trade (computer software, hardware, storage, networking) so the mind wanders while on my 25 mile (each way) commute. Back-of-the-envelope calculations of range / battery capacity, the impact of the 1,000 elevation gain at highway speeds on the way home, lack of charging at work, etc. Just wasn't adding up. When Tesla opened a Service Center near where I work, I remembered the Roadster, and would occasionally refresh an internet search for the mystical car.. Always too expensive, wrong model, wrong color, etc.

Then one day, about a week before Christmas 2014, I hit refresh again. Cr*p. There it was. Model, color, options, price, etc, all right. I suddenly had my doubts. Still a lot of money to spend on a car. Was I worthy? Long story short, and with the encouragement of my wife and kids, it was in my driveway 2 weeks later. Best decision ever.

The car hasn't exactly been trouble-free, but I kind of don't mind too much, since its original mission was firmly planted in the engineering of a total overhaul of the transportation industry, and as an engineer, I understand what that means. So it's been my platform to learn too, and also a tangible way to make visible what Tesla's mission is all about. Electric cars can be fun, good looking, practical, environmentally sound, and generally awesome, all at the same time. They need to be seen, on the road, in motion.

By way of my own background, I grew up in the SF Bay Area and now live in the foothills East of Sacramento. I was proficient with several computer languages before graduating high school, and was a member of the Homebrew Computer Club. Got my BS in EECS from UC Berkeley, and after working for a start-up that didn't make it, ended up at HP for 38 years. Just retired from HPE's networking group this past July 2016. I'm also a Ham Radio operator, hate MS Windows (yea Linux!) and like crafting solutions at the intersection of hardware, software, and radio technologies. Just got my 40 year old computer running again. The contrast between it and the car I drive is enough to give you mental whiplash.

We have two grown kids, but my wife sadly passed away last year. Even though ill, at least she was able to enjoy going for rides in the Roadster. It's how we went places "in style".

• Like x 3
  2. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your journey!

3. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Thanks for that Gregd!

"Electric cars can be fun, good looking, practical, environmentally sound, and generally awesome, all at the same time."

^ This :cool:

4. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

wow, thanks for sharing!