Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bell Home hub 4000 and 2021 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Just wondering if anyone have the same setup as me?

I just have issue with my model 3 not finding my wifi. Modem is in the basement and Garage is on the other side of the house.
My phone picks up the wifi easily but not the model 3. Do I need a closer access point for it to be detected? What's funny is the model 3 can see the wifi of my neighbor but not my own wifi which is right below it.

Are you using 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band for your WiFi connection with the M3?
That, I have not checked. Would it matter?

Maybe get some pods to improve the connectivity throughout the house. Basements aren't a great place for a single connection through an entire house - of course, depending upon what walls, etc it has to overcome.
That's what I am thinking but yeah I was wondering why it was not seeing my wifi but sees the neighbor. Which is like 2 houses distance across the street from me. The new home hub 4000 modems are a pain to setup my old network from though as it seems I may not be able to run my old AP setup from my apartment.

WIFI (radio) is attenuated by a variety of materials including concrete, metal cladding (like under older floor tile installs), antenna orientation. Actually seeing the SSID is not a good proxy for signal strength.
Could be, my house is tiny which is why I was curious.

Thanks for the replies!

5Ghz is typically faster/better but its range is worse, traversing walls and such. Normal setup is to activate both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and use the same SSID. You only see one "network" when you connect, and the device that connects can choose what's best for the situation.

You say your phone picks the wifi... is that when you are standing besides your car?

That, I have not checked. Would it matter?

That's what I am thinking but yeah I was wondering why it was not seeing my wifi but sees the neighbor. Which is like 2 houses distance across the street from me. The new home hub 4000 modems are a pain to setup my old network from though as it seems I may not be able to run my old AP setup from my apartment.

Could be, my house is tiny which is why I was curious.

Thanks for the replies!
I know it might not be a possibility, but if you can reposition the modem to the highest level (upstairs), then your issues are likely to go away. I know that mine is in the same situation and cannot move the modem, so I ordered 4 pods, placed them strategically around the house (along with watching signal strengths on each pod). I'm on the fence as to the overall performance as it seems as if there's a bit more latency along with some "switching" issues when moving room-to-room.

See how it goes. Good luck!

Reactions: defsam
5Ghz is typically faster/better but its range is worse, traversing walls and such. Normal setup is to activate both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and use the same SSID. You only see one "network" when you connect, and the device that connects can choose what's best for the situation.

You say your phone picks the wifi... is that when you are standing besides your car?
Hi, I am familiar with the whole thing but yes my phone can pick up the wifi while in my car but my model 3 is not seeing it at all.

I know it might not be a possibility, but if you can reposition the modem to the highest level (upstairs), then your issues are likely to go away. I know that mine is in the same situation and cannot move the modem, so I ordered 4 pods, placed them strategically around the house (along with watching signal strengths on each pod). I'm on the fence as to the overall performance as it seems as if there's a bit more latency along with some "switching" issues when moving room-to-room.

See how it goes. Good luck!
I can not reposition as it is cabled in the basement, I may need to call Bell as I am doing renovations in the basement and ask them to maybe put it somewhere else (garage maybe) so we will see. Pods maybe my only hope.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Best scenario is actually to run ethernet cabling throughout your house and then have wired Wifi Access Points like Ubiquiti throughout various spots in your house. This is what I have in my house with 5 Access Points - I have a large house that was built in multiple phases so it is hard for radio signals to penetrate many walls.

Reactions: Vawlkus
It has been noted elsewhere that unfortunately the wifi nor lte antennas in the Model 3 are excellent. Thus, while your phone may be able to get good signal, it does not indicate that the car will get a good signal.

I have a Bell connection but I do not use the wifi from the Homehub, but rather I have eero (now a subsidiary of Amazon) which provides wifi across my house. When I first got the car, I saw that while I got max wifi "bars" from my phone. I got 2 out of 3 for the car. I moved one of the wifi repeaters into my garage as a consequence, and since then I have not had issues waking up the car from a deep sleep etc etc.

Like others said you may have to install a repeater of some sort for your wifi signal closer to the garage (from the wifi access point on the other side of the house etc)

Reactions: defsam and Vawlkus