Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bellevue Tesla Store to recieve Black Beta Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest rumor from the Bellevue Square Mall Tesla Store is that they will have the Black Model S Beta as a semi-permanent show car before the end of the month. Don't expect to see it until at least a few days after Christmas though.

This is what I was told as well - though nothing about the color. BTW, there isn't much time between "a few days after Christmas" and "end of the month". We're planning to decide whether to book one, after my wife (and I) sees it in person.

The Regional Sales Manager, Troy, told me yesterday that it would be arriving Dec. 23rd, it is the Black model, and will be there for an extended period, anticipated to be "semi-permanent". This was said to me at the Bellevue Store, within earshot of other store visitors.

BTW, there isn't much time between "a few days after Christmas" and "end of the month".

Yes, I was aware of that. It's really too bad that Christmas doesn't come any sooner than it does.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3713&d=1323924022.jpg

IbjSw_St_5.jpg

Last edited:
It would be interesting to compare this beta version to the black one demonstrated at the Fremont event; being VIN #23 I don't think they are one and the same. I rode in the black beta at the Fremont event; the interior was literally slapped together with the A, B & C pillar post interior panels having large gaps with their adjoining pieces (the explanation given was it was the beta for engineering dept). I'd like to hear if any refinements have been done to the interior of this beta compared to the betas currently making their rounds in the other Tesla stores.

As I understand it, the one at the plant wasn't a beta, it was an engineering build with some beta parts on it. I also rode in it and was sorely disappointed. The red and white betas there were much more refined.

I went to the NYC event the end of October and got to sit in a red one. It's a fantastic car. I think if we could have driven off with a 230mi one we may have just bought it on the spot. I'm not much into such advanced pre-ordering, but when they are available (meaning I can order one and it will be delivered in a month or two) there's probably better than a 50/50 chance I'm going to get one unless there are delays that push it so far back that there are other, more appealing EV options which I really don't see happening in the next 18 months or so. The car is stunning.

I was there earlier tonight. Too many people in the store to get a clear picture. It looks like the black one pictured earlier in the thread. Still has the Beta interior we've been seeing for a while now. It had the 19 inch wheels rather than the 21s IIRC.

Last edited:
I'm in Seattle on business and visited the Bellevue store today (I've now been to Tesla LA, Tesla Seattle, Tesla Bellevue, and Tesla New York---one more store to hit all 4 corners of the U.S.!).

Anyway, I finally saw the Model S in the flesh today, and here are my thoughts:

1) Yes, the car is beautiful in person.

2) The 19" standard wheels look much better in person than I thought they would. The design studio doesn't do them justice. I'll be happy with the standard wheels.

3) The car was at its lowest air suspension position in the store. Very low...looks very badass.

4) The black beta (I believe) is the engineering prototype, and as a result has lower build quality. That's unfortunate. In the store, the panels were separating from the door, the center armrests were loose, and the coverings on the A-pillar were loose. I know this is a beta with non-production build quality, but Tesla newbies walking into the store will not make that connection (even though they're told that this is a "beta" prototype). Many people will probably see that and conclude that the car is not made well--which is too bad. I think Tesla needs to make it more clear to the roaming public that build quality on the black beta is nowhere near what is expected for production.

5) I had a chance to sit at the touchscreen and play with it on my own for awhile. It's beautiful. It seems like it will be plenty bright in sunlight. I'm very glad they went with capacitive, as it feels much more natural than other touch technologies. But as I suspected from online videos, the display is a bit laggy...primarily on the maps display. (I'm not talking data loading...I'm just talking about responsiveness to zooming/panning). I hope they're able to optimize this at least a little bit. (Maybe the Betas have the Tegra 2s and the productions will have the Tegra 3s?)

6) The headlights/lighting effects are really nice.

7) I really like the nose in person. All the complaints from the alpha about the nose are out the window for me...I really liked the snout.

8) My conclusion is that most of us that participate in this forum frequently actually know more about the car and other news than the folks on the sales floor. I suspect half of us that participate here could get a job with Tesla on the sales floor and do a really good job.

9) Salesman told me that the supercharger network will probably start Seattle/Portland/LA and New York to DC routes first, expanding beyond that over time. I think we already suspected this. But take this with a grain of salt, due to (8).

10) Guy on the floor knew nothing about the front license plate plans.

11) Other guy on the floor didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned February 9th, until I mentioned the Model X reveal. He made it sound like (again as we suspected) due to the media attention, that will be the start of a flurry of Model S news.

12) Seemed like the car had plenty of headroom...but then again, I'm used to a Saturn...

13) Guy on the floor said that he thought crash testing was nearly complete.

I think that's all I got :).