TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Belts that don't suck.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Caligula, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

I'm tired of buying a belt every other year or so. As such I'm on the hunt for a QUALITY, yet good looking men's belt that can be used for both casual as well as business-casual attire (think jeans and a T to slacks and a pollo). I've done a little bit of digging on Google and have found some very well made items but none really seem to be very stylish (Deluth Trading Co. I'm looking at you). In any case, I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Also, if it matters, I have a 30" waist size so I'd need something no longer than a 32 in belt size. This somewhat limits my options, I've found.

2. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

I can personally vouch for this one:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76744?feat=502855-GN3&page=chino-belt

I've been wearing it for 18 months at least several days/week (I'm wearing it right now actually) and it has held up well. I would not be surprised if it lasted several years. Versatile enough for jeans, khakis, and suits. It's also "Made in the U.S.A.", which may be an additional reason to buy.

One thing to note, the website recommends: "Order the same size as your pants waist size; if between sizes, order the next size up." The recommendation was accurate for me. This is a bit different than most other belts, which are typically ordered 2" up from one's waist size.

Only possible downside is that it is not stylish. Like most Bean items it is designed more for timelessness than modern fashion.

3. Caligula

Caligula Member

Found this just now. Looks promising, isnt TOO expensive, has a lifetime warranty, its got lots of custom options when ordering... plus I'm mostly sure the Amish know how to make a proper leather belt. Bad news is that they are made to order and it takes almost a long as a Tesla build! :biggrin:

A Simple Leather Belt Co. - Home

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

30" waist!?! Impressive! I was 32 until my 50's. Now I have inched up to 34.:cursing:

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I was in the same boat 10 years ago with a lot disposable belts in the closet.
    Found a great belt that only got better with age ... it may outlive me at this rate.

http://www.carhartt.com/category/carhartt-men-belts

6. Caligula

Caligula Member

I really like their "scratchless belt", but sadly it's not in Stock for my required size. I do appreciate the heads up on that company though!

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

Costco?? They have recently had brown & black belts. Very nice quality and look good dressed up & down.

8. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I'd give Saddleback Leather a look. Haven't tried their belts, but I have a wallet from them that I love -- super high quality leather and construction, and 100 yr warranty.

9. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Slide Belt. You can cut the belt down to the length you want. Since the leather doesn't get bent they don't wear like normal belts. Slide belts are also great if your weight swings.

10. Caligula

Caligula Member

Ha! This actually showed up last night.

E7qOlku.jpg

Was going to go back and order from them again but decided to go with A Simple Belt Co, as I like their belts on multiple levels. Sadly it'll take 2 weeks for them to make mine, lol.

I do so want some travel bags from Saddleback, however.