Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Bendgate' - does this sound familiar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem for Apple is that they've convinced many customers that a premium phone has metal (and is thin). Plastic is viewed as "junk" even though IMO it is a far more appropriate material for an electronic device that routinely experiences rough treatment. The iPhone 5C has a plastic case that can take a tremendous beating, yet it received much scorn for the plastic exterior.

There's a reason LEGOs are practically indestructible, after all!

My Galaxy S 5 Active looks metal enough to look shwanky, but it feels incredibly sturdy and durable and I'm betting there's a lot of plastic involved.

I do think as smartphones have basically become phablets, their size + desire for thinness is going to push design to its limits. I still think the problem with the newer iPhone is probably due to a weakness in where they cut a hole out for the buttons on a rounded aluminium frame. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
There's a reason LEGOs are practically indestructible, after all!

My Galaxy S 5 Active looks metal enough to look shwanky, but it feels incredibly sturdy and durable and I'm betting there's a lot of plastic involved.

I do think as smartphones have basically become phablets, their size + desire for thinness is going to push design to its limits. I still think the problem with the newer iPhone is probably due to a weakness in where they cut a hole out for the buttons on a rounded aluminium frame. It's an accident waiting to happen.

LEGOs will last for decades even with plenty of use. The quality control and design tolerances are pretty incredible.

Where the iPhone is concerned, the volume button cutouts have been the bend point since the iPhone 5 was new, but again the problem was never widespread. Whether this is a long-term problem in the 6/6+ has yet to become apparent, but most people seem to be quite happy with their 6 or 6+.

I use an iPhone, but I am a firm believer in the superiority of ABS plastic or even CFRP (Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic) for mobile phone applications, as these materials are highly resilient.