Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Benefits of HW3 v. HW2.5 besides FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3 LR AWD with EAP and HW 2.5. It is now possible for me to pay $1500 to upgrade to HW 3.0 without purchasing FSD. So I can keep EAP and have HW 3.0.

My question is, aside from the ability to subscribe to FSD if I like, is there any other benefit to upgrading? Do any of my current EAP features work better (AP, summon, etc…), or are there any additional benefits to running HW 3.0 under the same EAP feature set?

thanks!
Did you ever upgrade to HW3.0? I also have a 2018 with HW2.5 and EAP. The EAP functions worked quite well a couple years back but as newer firmware versions were implemented my EAP functions (especially AutoPark) perform very poorly. For example, detection of parking spots is very poor - I don't get the "P" indicator for a parallel parking spot until I'm half way into backing in the space whereas the "P" used to show up as soon as I pull near the empty spot.
Has your AutoPark functionality diminished or is it still on par with before?

Dog Mode Internal Camera! I've wanted this feature desperately, but when it came out, it didn't work on my HW2.5. I had read forums with mixed info whether this needs HW3 or not. I contacted Tesla Support and after a month and a half of communicating, sending App screenshots, doing resets and what have you, they stated it should work with 2.5 and I needed to make a Service appointment. Did that, got a Mobile appointment set up but in the lead-up describing my issue, they came back the day before the appointment stating that this DOES need HW3, and apologized for their internal confusion. So now I have an appointment at the Service Center to get HW3 installed, estimated $1k they said... but that's not black on white yet. SO: if you want this feature to keep an eye on doggo in the car, yes you will need HW3.

Dog Mode Internal Camera! I've wanted this feature desperately, but when it came out, it didn't work on my HW2.5. I had read forums with mixed info whether this needs HW3 or not. I contacted Tesla Support and after a month and a half of communicating, sending App screenshots, doing resets and what have you, they stated it should work with 2.5 and I needed to make a Service appointment. Did that, got a Mobile appointment set up but in the lead-up describing my issue, they came back the day before the appointment stating that this DOES need HW3, and apologized for their internal confusion. So now I have an appointment at the Service Center to get HW3 installed, estimated $1k they said... but that's not black on white yet. SO: if you want this feature to keep an eye on doggo in the car, yes you will need HW3.
Internal camera definitely needs HW3. Sad that so many of these service centers know less about these things than owners. Curious if they will give you a free upgrade like many HW2.5 owners are getting. Keep us posted.

Don’t know about anyone else, but after I upgraded to HW3, and was converted to Tesla Vision, I thought the AP was horrible, as it was very jerky with trying to manage distance between me and the car ahead. Would slow too late, then wait too long to speed up and speed up very aggressively, just to then brake hard again. It was almost scarry.

I figured this was due to losing the radar function and was quite upset with Tesla Vision. Well, a few updates later, AP is now sublime. It is super smooth and operates as well or better than 2.5 with radar. Very happy with the constant improvements.

Did you ever upgrade to HW3.0? I also have a 2018 with HW2.5 and EAP. The EAP functions worked quite well a couple years back but as newer firmware versions were implemented my EAP functions (especially AutoPark) perform very poorly. For example, detection of parking spots is very poor - I don't get the "P" indicator for a parallel parking spot until I'm half way into backing in the space whereas the "P" used to show up as soon as I pull near the empty spot.
Has your AutoPark functionality diminished or is it still on par with before?
I have the same: 2018 with HW 2.5, and zero reportable issues due to it. All the functions you mentioned work as well as when they were first implemented.

Reactions: Perscitus
The old/legacy 3s were designed and built around HW2.5 and should have remained with their original config: Lead-acid LVB + HW2.5, Radar/Camera sensor suite, Intel Atom MCU.

Going against the flow of popular opinion, HW3.x retrofit for these old cars is not an upgrade, but a OEM jerry-rig.
This has been confirmed by a number of factory techs and certified repair shop techs sent to Tesla HQ for 'training' and 'certification'. You will never hear it publically announced, even less so now that HW3.x is entering legacy status itself. Tesla is moving on just like it did with AP1.x and 2.x cars.

Sure you get some new bells and whistles and are now software forced to vision but unless your older 3 was put together with HW3.x at the factory, then it was not supposed to run it.

you can upgrade it for free, you just have to keep trying different SC

Reactions: AlasCon
I went from HW2.5 to HW3.0 on my 2018 Model 3. I see better visualizations and better road manner using autopilot for lane keep. The visualizations for cars and all are generated much faster and I don't have the dancing cars issue like in HW2.5. I like the stop light visualizations with green light chime. Overall felt like a new car after the upgrade.

I have the same: 2018 with HW 2.5, and zero reportable issues due to it. All the functions you mentioned work as well as when they were first implemented.
Then my poor autopark performance must be due to another reason. Unfortunately, the Service Centre could not find the problem even though they did acknowledge that my autopark was performing below average. I put on the pressure for them to fix it before my warranty expired and they were not able to do so. Now no more warranty sadly.

I was looking to do the same thing on our used 2018 Model 3 recently purchased. It's being reported in the app that it's now $1,000 for the HW3 upgrade. The only reason I was slightly thinking about it was for better clarity on the side repeater cameras. The car was purchase with EAP and I feel that it works just fine. I don't think it is worth putting $6,000 more for FSD on a 5 year old car.

Internal camera definitely needs HW3. Sad that so many of these service centers know less about these things than owners. Curious if they will give you a free upgrade like many HW2.5 owners are getting. Keep us posted.
This is good to know. I wasn't aware that not having the internal camera was due to not having HW3.

Don’t know about anyone else, but after I upgraded to HW3, and was converted to Tesla Vision, I thought the AP was horrible, as it was very jerky with trying to manage distance between me and the car ahead. Would slow too late, then wait too long to speed up and speed up very aggressively, just to then brake hard again. It was almost scarry.

I figured this was due to losing the radar function and was quite upset with Tesla Vision. Well, a few updates later, AP is now sublime. It is super smooth and operates as well or better than 2.5 with radar. Very happy with the constant improvements.
Wasn't aware of this. Our 2023 is Vision only without summon. Did you lose summon by chance? I'm not big on the feature and most of the time I've always had to go rescue the car anyway but loosing a feature would be a show stopper.

The old/legacy 3s were designed and built around HW2.5 and should have remained with their original config: Lead-acid LVB + HW2.5, Radar/Camera sensor suite, Intel Atom MCU.

Going against the flow of popular opinion, HW3.x retrofit for these old cars is not an upgrade, but a OEM jerry-rig.
This has been confirmed by a number of factory techs and certified repair shop techs sent to Tesla HQ for 'training' and 'certification'. You will never hear it publically announced, even less so now that HW3.x is entering legacy status itself. Tesla is moving on just like it did with AP1.x and 2.x cars.

Sure you get some new bells and whistles and are now software forced to vision but unless your older 3 was put together with HW3.x at the factory, then it was not supposed to run it.
Well, this may settle the reason not to upgrade. We did purchase the $2,000 fire sale for FSD on our 2018 and did receive the HW3 upgrade. Never thought at the time this was an after thought.

All in all, I feel that after reading all the great post here, I may save the $1,000 and live with my vintage 2018 Model 3. I bought it for the driving experience anyway.